View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2018, 12:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Manic's Stuff for Fun - Models and bits * Updated:25/5/18 
Mini-Boss

Since this is a more.. Appropriate section to post this then general, I'll post here.

I got a 3D printer, I got some skills and some (though limited) time.. so lets have fun. I'll try to keep this updated with current status for stuff etc..

Just to add a couple of things..
1) Feedback would be nice, and If you want to post your prints if you get them made, that would be great.
2) Please do NOT post them else where without permission nor go around selling them without permission.
3) IF SodaPop decided to release there own versions of any of these for people to buy, I will take the files down. This is a fan upgrade for your games and not designed to compete

Project 1: Sandspire Spawning Point
Description: While I like the Alternative profiles coming with V2b of Super Dungeon (mainly for the Base Set and Arcade set), some of the arcade ones were... not really Alternative profiles in a practical way. While it's not hard to paint up a Kobolt from the Dragonback peaks in ice colours to be a Frozen Kobolt from the Frostbyte Reach, There is no way to paint up a spider to look like a crab. If SDE do release new models.. it might be a bit annoying because it goes against the alternative profile idea, but at the same time, it would look and be fairly nice.
Anyway.. Until that time, If you have (which you don't right now) the Netherelves of Midnight Tower and wanted them as Arcadian dunes Elves you will have some problems. As a nice sized piece and fairly simple i decided to take the art and make the Sandspire spawning point.
These always look worse in the photos but here is a fresh print (i got black PLA loaded and since i paint, no need to screw around with different colours. Originally it was going to be a little bit smaller then this, but i had a couple of issues with it like that and the taller version fit it pretty well. I sadly, did not make the skull myself.. too much for my basic skills right now (which are growing though). Next to my Arena Champion for Scale. No supported needed.
This is showing the backside of it on a Von Drakk tile. as you can see, the bad news is the sand dune overlaps the tiles around it a bit. Since this isn't totally new to any board game (name any which the figures can FIT in one tile and uses models) I don't think it's a big issue.. I think making the sandune smaller around the edges might be possible and might look just about okay, but I don't really like it..
This is my mostly painted (yeah.. I'm an okay painter but not great) versions of it. the Gem needs more work and i need to touch up the edges.
File: Will release at a later date.

Project 2: Immobile Token
Description: Tokens are little bits of card used for various reasons. cheaper, easy to store, generic.. lets scrap them. Here is a 3D version of the Immobile Token. Simple enough design.
Again, this looks FAR better in real life. didn't clean this one up at the time. Measures about 20mmx21mmx20mm something like that. I printed this one with supports that i didn't think it needed.. it doesn't.. Also printed it at a safe 40mms.. doesn't need that either. I have printed a couple more with no supports at 90mms and they are fine.
Another scale showing one. I wonder if the Cat hair shows the scale more.. oh well, either way it shows you it's fairly nice size.. in fact, might work as a creep really.. I do have a painted version (not much, just the eyes and mouth) but not showing right here now
File: http://www.tesp.co.uk/SDE/Immombile.stl STL file V1 (27/12/2017 release)

Project 3: Player Start Token
Description: Replacement for the Start Token showing where the Player enters the Dungeon. Very simple design.
Paintwork wasn't quite finished on this and I've taken a picture of it next to the Princess Coin (large) from FK KS for scale. Fits well in a single square, flat so players can start on it if they want. The print came out okay but not perfect cause i was using the second head on my printer (it's a dual extruder) and the left hand wasn't quite as aligned as well as the right but i find it so much easier to have one colour loaded on one head, and another on the other. bit of blue paint (not finished in this) and it turns out great. Double sided too.
File: http://www.tesp.co.uk/SDE/PlayerStart.stl STL file V1 (27/12/2017 release)

Project 4: Knockdown
Description: Replacement token for Knockdown effect. Came out much stronger then i expected.
File: File: http://www.tesp.co.uk/SDE/Knockdown.stl STL file V1 (24/1/2018 release)

Project 5: Bane Token
Description: Replacement token for Bane effect.
File: http://www.tesp.co.uk/SDE/Bane.stl STL file V1 (24/1/2018 release)

Project 6: Status Cards
Description: Basiclly, just a deck of Status Effect Cards. Playing with a... say we say 'Non gamer' group they often forget about Status Effect meanings and a few other things, So i decided to just quickly whip up a deck of Status Effect Cards. I didn't bother to design a back for them cause there was little need.
File: http://www.tesp.co.uk/SDE/StatusCards.zip Zip file containing 10 Pngs (17/2/2018 release)

Project 7: Poison Token
Description: Replacement Token for Poison Effect.

Project 8: Princess Coin (in game size)
Description: Replacement Token for Princess Coins, In-game size to fit on Backpack Dash.

Project 9: Clockwork Penguin
Description: New Pet model, the Clockwork Penguin. Complete with card. Creep Mode coming.
File: http://www.tesp.co.uk/SDE/ClockworkPenguinV1.zip Zip file containing 1 STL and 2 Pngs (09/6/2018 release)
NOTE: Updated PNGs and Model. Updated Model size yet again.. remembered I dumped 1.5cm as way too small.. and 2.5cm is a bit too big.. now 2cm tall.. of course, any printing software can resize without problem... anyway.. 2cm tall best. Cards also tweaked to improve stats..

Project 10: Super Dungeon Base Template (25mm)
Description: Some people aren't happy that the resin caster SPM is using standard D&G bases compared to the extra cost of specially moulding and casting the regular SDE plastic bases. An easy fix is an old method using card. Either pick your own thickness of normal cardstock (cheap and works on pretty much any inkjet printer) or print on paper and trace onto cereal box card. Comes with two different designs based on the standard SDE bases (they only have about 2 different designs with different rotations). glue onto the flat base, use a craft knife to cut out the black gaps and then paint to your taste. OR cut out the white bits, leaving a black template, put on a thin layer of clay (like muliputt) onto the base and press down the template. Not designed for the larger bases yet. Two images feature a 'full size' version or a resized version. when printing, you want around 25mm height to fit on a normal base.
http://www.tesp.co.uk/SDE/SDBases.png
http://www.tesp.co.uk/SDE/SDBases25.png

Project 11: Hex Token
Description: Replacement model for the Hex Card token

Project 12: Slow Down Token
Description: Replacement model for the Hex Card token

Future plans (in no set order):
Fire Token
Ice Token
Death Token
Crystal Cluster
Single Crystals
Hero Dashboard (Explore/Arcade/Arena)

================

Last edited by ManicMan on July 2nd, 2018, 11:27 am, edited 10 times in total.

December 23rd, 2017, 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Wow I absolutely love these tokens... I'll admit that once I got the Heart/Potion tokens, I thought how nice it would be if all the tokens were 3 dimensional.

My only suggestions would be keep a round base for each one so that it'd be consistent with SPM's tokens. The Immobile token is kinda big too.. but I might just be being picky here lol Would also love to see them all translucent solid colors like SPM :)

Great job though, looking forward to seeing more of your work!

May 4th, 2018, 4:14 am
Mini-Boss

thanks ^_^ one problem is... i'm an old school guy when it comes to making 3d models.. I need to remember to increase polycount.. I don't digi clay stuff but design via vertex's and stuff.. they print a bit smoother (of course, depends on your printer).

not all the tokens have a base cause some.. it just seamed stupid. I can see your idea about being too big but it's kinda personal preference ^_^. Translucent colours are almost impossible to print on a normal 3dprinter because of internal support.. I would have to turn up the infill to 100% and even then, you get the layer effect.. Though I do some resin casting... though I don't have any clear resin right now.. third party printers is possible but while there prices are okay... it's WAY more pricey then doing it myself.

I will say I've got something kinda nice almost ready now.. a Pet

================

May 4th, 2018, 7:15 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Updated to show a preview of my new Model, the pet "Clockwork Penguin". The image is from the second print (I.. erm.. lost the first).. and I've been having a couple of minor problems anyway..

He is a bit shorter then Admiral fuzzybottom if you don't count his tail, and while I think that is probably okay, I'm thinking about making him a bit bigger.. I've got the card all done and basic testing on that done and it seams okay. I'll say that this figure is 'inspired' not by a Japanese game, but by a French one. I was going to add the one ability but decided it would make him too powerful when I noticed another pet has a similar kinda power to what it's main one is. I'll probably give it away but here is the favour text from the current version of the card:
"Created by the gnomes of Clockwork cove, Clockwork Penguins were designed for the cold climates of the Frostbyte reaches. Often mistake for one of the natural critters of the land, they creep up to an unexpecting monster, only given a slight confusing tick-tock before exploding in a burst of shrapnel".
Spell checking and stuff will be done before release ^_^

================

May 8th, 2018, 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

The Clockwork penguin is super cute! i agree, it could be bigger (even though Mr. Bitey is a huge pet). I think the size of Demolition Expert (assuming you have one) might be a good size since I assume you're modeling the ability after his. Never Lost Cola and Ninja Cola just seem too tiny.

The penguin, aside from the goggles, doesn't have anything to show that it's clockwork from the pic. Does it happen to have a windup key in its back maybe? :).

If the card is the same as Demolition Expert then it can just be a proxy model, which might be fun as a Creep to fight if/when Frostbyte Reach releases...

May 8th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Mini-Boss

thanks

Yep, has a key on the back ^_^ I didn't base it after the Demolition expert at first, but when I checked my Demolition expert, I thought "Oh.. this has already been done.. oh well" and decided to scale back it's abilities a bit because of that. It's... erm.. more powerful ^_^

I was thinking about making a creep card to go with it. fighting against a small army of these things could be fun.

================

May 8th, 2018, 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Since the demolition turtles come with Testudo Tower and in Classic he can Throw them and they explode, maybe you can do a (clockwork) Yeti Dungeon Boss that also throws exploding penguins?

And rather than doing an explosion for wounds/copying the demo expert, maybe they can do reduced Burst, but inflict Ice or something penguin themed? Like make you smell of fishes so monsters get +1STR attack against the model :).

May 8th, 2018, 10:11 pm
Mini-Boss

possible. I do have a 'hero' figure in the works but it's a bit above me so it's going slowly.. well.. when I say that, the main problem is the posing right now. A Dungeon boss would be nice but tricky right now ^_^

there is a difference in what damage it'll do as a creep compared to a pet.. I think as a pet, I can do a slight tweak for power but that's it else it'll be WAY stronger then others, even at it's level.. for a creep, I'll do some fun bits ^_^ similar bit a bit different.

================

May 8th, 2018, 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Omg I want the penguin!.. After you fine tune the details, how can we make this happen? lol

Also wondering if your prints are super smooth and sharp or do they have a lot of lines and texture? I don't know much about 3D printing :?

May 14th, 2018, 12:22 am
Mini-Boss

they aren't super smooth really cause that's not possible outside an much more advance resin/laser job, but that aren't bad. basically, 3d printing (atleast the regular FDM printing) works much like a normal printer is that it prints a pattern on a surface (the build plate) but then it changes the layer.. either by the head moving up or the plate moving down (mine has the plate moving down), and then prints the next layer. Since the PLA (or ABS but I use PLA) is partly melted, it sticks to another layer with which is mostly partly pressed into the previous layer.

Depending on things (I've had a bit of trouble resetting up a few bits cause.. well, bits are designed to wear out ^_^ the timing belts are rubber and need to be aligned just right with each other, filament roll quality can varies a little bit from roll to roll as for what heat they need to 'melt' (PLA is normally around 180-230c, I mostly stick around 200c). The speed and how small the nozzle and the software and stuff can decide how detailed you can print.. I have a nozzle with a 0.4mm hole (pretty small but standard). A print of the princess coin with all the detail from the metal coin, but at game size didn't work at all.. detail WAY too small. If you look at the Immobile token, that's a photo and it looks more rough then it is, due to some vibration and stuff (moving parts and all) I sometimes get a bit of echoing but as it's mostly painted over, it's no major problem. If you really want a super smooth finish, you can sand the surface down (tricky on small detailed bits) or coat it.. sometimes some paint or something can be done to smooth the surface down.

There are some places that will print for you... but prices can varies.. not amazingly bad but..

================

May 14th, 2018, 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Will you have it available to download? I'd love to paint one and give you a shout out.

May 16th, 2018, 2:44 am
Mini-Boss

yep, when I'm happy with it, it'll be out for Download. Don't worry, it shouldn't be long

================

May 16th, 2018, 7:45 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

well, bit of a delay, but the Clockwork Penguin is released along with Pet Card. I tweaked the size and printed one, but I think the one I printed is a bit bigger then this and too big. This one should be about 25mm tall, putting it smaller then Mr Bitey but bigger (without the tail) then Fuzzybottom. The pet card should be fine but I might need to double check some spelling and caps. I'll just explain a couple of bits.

When I started on this, I had completely forgotten about the Demolition expert as a pet and was debating giving this one the ability to 'regenerate', which would have kicked in after Explode was done, and have it return to the owners side. I was very much debating this believing it was a bit over powered. When I remembered the demo expert, I checked his card and decided to not use this feature.

the pet is a little overpowered in away, but I look at others as a guide line. Basic attack is 3 stars, defense is 1 star and 2 blue, which is a fairly good for a pet. Will and dex are a low 1 star. his only .. I forgot what it's called, is Small. 2 hearts mean he can take a couple of hits, and with a summoning cost of 3, he is pricy to bring back. I was also debating to have him explode when killed reguardless.. might still do that..

his main ability is a pretty strong 'explode'. I just noticed it shouldn't be blue support, but Red offensive (i'll tweak that when I see what else needs tweaking). It hurts anyone within 2 squares of him via a Wave 2 effect, and dangerous. they all get knocked down by the blast. for damage? Str (3 white) +1 red dice, making a total of 6 stars. That justifies his summoning cost as 6 stars would probably wipe out most 8bits and lower, which having a fair change of damaging 16bits. After he explodes, he is taken out, but can be summoned again of course.

All in all, I think the stats are fairly well balanced and he is pretty strong, but does have a high summoning cost, meaning it'll cost you to keep using him, but most likely worth it. If you get over run with monsters a bit later in the game, then one of these will help out pretty well.

================

May 25th, 2018, 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Basic attack of 3 Stars is pretty high. Consider that 'average' attack/stat is 3B, which is avg 2, max 4. Also remember in 2.0 that pets benefit from the MMC so this little guy could have 4 star attack b/f monsters get defense.

Think about Arcade, too. Many monster do not have > 3 defense unless they are mini boss, and so this guy will auto-wound.

Also consider that 3 star + 1R, it will do critical success on most elite/minions at 5 star total, which makes him even more powerful..

One thing to note that even if high cost, if he's the first pet that 'starts' in the game, how will this penguin NOT completely destroy the first spawn point on its own?

Generally if they have high attack, you need low defense unless they are a 'fighting' pet and this one is more of a should be easy to defeat/blow up and maybe hurt the heroes as a tradeoff/gamble.

The blast also dealing knockdown, a persistent status effect that can be situationally very powerful in Arcade is I think too much. Maybe Push 1 or Push 2 (assuming anything survives).

What's the tradeoff for taking this guy? Does he have very low movement? 3 loot to summon is expensive (half a treasure!), but the effects seems much more powerful than other 1 use treasures.

I think 2 hearts is a bit much, too. I would say he's need to either focus on fighting or focus on blowing up. I'm not sure the tradeoff of only blowing up when you use the action is that bad b/c a hero can summon him, move the pet and blow it up b/f the consul can react, so it's like spending 3 loot to get an extra strong AOE attack.

May 25th, 2018, 5:11 pm
Mini-Boss

I see your points..

health of 2 is about average for Pets with 2 points summing cost but yeah, 3 stars attack might be a bit high but I was looking at kind average for higher point pets, being something like the strong Mr Bitey (2 red), with an attack that gives plus 2 red), Mr Chompers (2 red), the powerhouse Mister Blight (2 red, 1 blue) and Overlord Okami (also 2 red one blue) or a Rabid Squirrel, (2 red).

his movement is fairly high without being obsseive, with 6, but it was debating putting it down to 4. the idea being that the hero wants to get him to walk into a crowd and explode, where as the consul wants to get rid of him before he gets too close. I didn't really think about Arcade since I don't really play it but I should have taken that into account too ^_^

As for what's to stop him wiping out a spawning point right away? Consul has 8 skull points of 8bits to start with, and Spawning points don't suffer from critical hits (page 17 classic manual, I'm not sure on arcade). unless the heroes can build up a lot of loot to waste at first, there isn't much chance.

is it arcade that Knockdown isn't cured after activation? it's a bit confusing cause remove all status effects from the model when activation end, yet you apply damage from these actions at upkeep.. since it's possible (like with Dangerous effects) you can get burned on the hero turn, you get burned but never get wounds from it.. I normally play till NEXT activation, so if something like that happens it's still applied.

so lets see this for tweaks:
Movement down to 4
I'm debating average dice rolls of say 2-3 blues vs 3 stars..
knock defence down to 1 blue.

================

May 25th, 2018, 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Sorry, to clarify, I meant blowing up all the monsters at the spawn rather than the spawn point itself. You start /w a random pet and if you start with the penguin, it can be a big swing in effectiveness/power for the heroes on turn 1.

In arcade, monsters do not remove knockdown until they Move. There are certain MMC spaces where the monsters do not move, so this may prevent them from doing the Fight and unique actions. Also, as written, monsters do not remove knockdown until the literal Move command, so Reinforce is probably SUPPOSED to remove the knockdown token, but 'might now' depending on how your interpret it.

And yes, all monsters remove status effects at the end of their activation, so they only lose 1 MMC, but on a Move Fight command they'd remove knockdown, not move, and then Fight. On a Unique command only, they'd not be able to do unique, then remove status effect.

I would just recommend using dice for attack instead of white stars. White stars for defense seems to make more sense. The dice will give a chance to miss instead of auto-hit. 2R and 3R miss quite often in our games just b/c of RNG.

I would probably say lots of dice for offense and maybe white stars/keep the same for defense. I assume penguin only has 1 action? If so then higher offense is usually 'ok' b/c he has to pick b/w basic attack or AOE/die.

May 25th, 2018, 6:56 pm
Mini-Boss

yeah, I knew you meant the spawning point.. 3 stars would be enough to take a wound of a spawning point, but most have atleast 3. the pet could either attack, taking off one, or use it's action to do.. well, the same. So I don't really think it's a HUGE swing to the heroes on turn 1. but yeah, i'm thinking about the change for attack to dice. He only has 1 action so it's a basic action or unique action job. and while the exploding does a wave 2, normal str attack only has 1 tile. but then the wave is balanced with the dangerous side which makes it a bit stupid to do when near heroes, and he dies after it.

================

May 25th, 2018, 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

In terms of swings in favor of the heroes on turn 1, a lot depends on party makeup, potions, etc.

In most situations, you're looking at this baseline for hero turn 1:

2 heroes activate
6 basic actions > 6 basic attacks = 1 AOE attack, 4 basic attack = 2 AOE attack, 2 basic attack

Then you add in red potions, which, if they matter, tend to be AOE.

6 basic actions + 2 red potions > 2 AOE 6 basic attacks = 4 AOE 2 basic attacks

Then you add in pets, which are usually 1-2 basic attacks

6 basic actions + 2 red potions + 1 pet > 2 AOE 7-8 basic attacks = 4 AOE 3-4 basic attacks

But then you consider this pet:

6 basic actions + 2 red potions + 1 penguin > 2 AOE 7 basic attacks = 5 AOE 2 basic attacks

AOE attacks don't tend to increase offense to it can be a gamble on turn 1. Since the penguin is expected to increase offense AND AOE (with a decent Wave 2 AOE), this makes it above average ability, at least as an opener. Being able to kill lots of monsters on Turn 1 means more loot and easier to snowball regardless if the penguin does/doesn't survive since the Consul isn't really balanced against pets in either Arcade or really even Classic, imo.

Also AOE are more effective in Arcade b/c you can bypass the elite's expendable rule and directly wound elites and if the elite is killed, minions don't do anything on the consul turn. Which is why glass cannons tend to work better in Arcade if you can meet the necessary thresholds/lucky dice rolls.

Of course, this is very edge case and has a homebrew it's really up to you whether you want to create a pet that is potentially overpowered. As your asset, you can always do what you'd like and then adjust later if it doesn't play/work as expected b/c the model will still be useful/fun to have.

May 25th, 2018, 8:04 pm
Mini-Boss

yeah..

What about:
Movement down to 4
1blue disc str
knock defence down to 1 blue.

with the red added for exploding, it makes it a worth while attack, compared to the normal attack

================

May 25th, 2018, 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Could you list out the total stats? I think i'm missing something:

Move 4
Action 1
STR 3W is now? not sure what 1B disc STR means.
ARM 1B
DEX 1B
WILL 1B
Heart 2
Pet Food 3
Abilities: Small
Offensive Action 1AP: Melee Wave 2 +1R STR Dangerous Knockdown. Remove this model from the board.

Another option i was thinking of, b/c movement 4 might be tough to get in range, is to have no basic melee attack so you can keep/have high STR and instead have a basic missile attack and set DEX to something like 2R and thematically the penguin throws snowballs until it can close distance and then blows up.

OR add a support action to increase movement beyond Dash. Just some ideas to help differentiate it from the demolition expert.

May 25th, 2018, 9:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next