View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 10th, 2018, 9:42 pm



Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Tusk Raider! New hero announced! 
Author Message
Minion
User avatar

Joined: March 20th, 2017, 6:00 am
Posts: 114
One of these days I will reach the line on what to buy and not to buy for SDE.

Looks like the Tusk Rider wasn't on that line yet (but the price was getting awfully close to the line). So order placed.

I'm guessing a big dragon that is expensive resin (like the original Starfire) will be that line where I decide not to buy.

But the Tusk Rider was cool enough concept for a mini that I still wanted it in my collection.

Now, release the Arcade box and I will actually get to play this game again!

_________________
This is supposed to be a happy occasion, so let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.


March 12th, 2018, 9:58 am
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: December 11th, 2015, 1:39 am
Posts: 290
One big request, if you're listening SPM - could you include a base that matches every single other miniature in the game? I'm kind of confused as to why you would create a figure so obviously intended for Super Dungeon Explore and then give him a base that doesn't match.

I have a whole system for painting the bases, a system created around the fact that every miniature since the initial release has had the same base design. It's going to bother me a hell of a lot to have this one damned mini that doesn't match.

If I had realized before I hit Checkout that the base is wrong I might not have pulled the trigger.


March 12th, 2018, 3:29 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Posts: 526
Cross posting some pics since the pics may help/be relevant for folks as this is still a hot topic :)

Image
Image
Tusk Raider (painted)

King Starfire was definitely past my price point when it was released. After all, why did I need another Dragon of the exact same Dragon I already had? I didn't know until later it had a separate profile, but we got the cards for King Starfire as part of the FK KS, I think? And I think a lot of folks are going to get King Starfire with the SDE:L KS (whenever that delivers). My price point has gone up as I have more disposable income and I'm directing more of it to this hobby vs things that require me to leave the house while the baby is asleep ;).

As for the base, I absolutely agree re: getting bases that matches the actual game the models are intended to be used with. I emailed SPM store and Scott responded that the slightly larger base that is not a dungeon base is the intended base. I am guessing the shop they use doesn't have/produce the large base. It would be nice if they gave some rationale, but it seems they are consistent in the that the resin models do not come with dungeon bases despite whatever is marketed.

Overall it feels very sloppy for their first official Masterwork product to have a base that doesn't match the advertised material and Hero card that is not correctly cut (mine doesn't have rounded corners and others have indicated theirs is mis-aligned for printing). I was already unhappy with the previous misprints of things like Codifier Kisa and the bajillion SDE 1.5 Errata and hope that SPM cleans up the SDE:L products b/c they are already a lot of misspelled words I found in the SDE: A manual.

Anyways - if the point was to trigger discourse over their products, I think the Tusk Raider has definitely done that :).


March 12th, 2018, 3:58 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 8:15 pm
Posts: 964
Location: Ohio
Nice work! I was hoping to get mine painted up and posted first, but you beat me to it! I'll be working on him today and hopefully get him posted.


March 12th, 2018, 4:07 pm
Profile
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: February 22nd, 2018, 6:28 pm
Posts: 29
Ahhh!!! Flat base, triggered! (said mostly in the spirit of jest, but still slightly true)

I think I may found a line of what I do not have to get and still satisfy my completionist urges.


March 12th, 2018, 4:11 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: December 3rd, 2015, 11:43 am
Posts: 445
InfinityMax wrote:
One big request, if you're listening SPM - could you include a base that matches every single other miniature in the game? I'm kind of confused as to why you would create a figure so obviously intended for Super Dungeon Explore and then give him a base that doesn't match.

I have a whole system for painting the bases, a system created around the fact that every miniature since the initial release has had the same base design. It's going to bother me a hell of a lot to have this one damned mini that doesn't match.

If I had realized before I hit Checkout that the base is wrong I might not have pulled the trigger.


The picture in the store of the mini has a textured base, If I get a non textured base, I will be contacting them to replace it.

Edit: Saw scotts reply to other poster. I will go to war. I will get us all proper bases


March 12th, 2018, 4:52 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: July 5th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Posts: 513
InfinityMax wrote:
One big request, if you're listening SPM - could you include a base that matches every single other miniature in the game? I'm kind of confused as to why you would create a figure so obviously intended for Super Dungeon Explore and then give him a base that doesn't match.

I have a whole system for painting the bases, a system created around the fact that every miniature since the initial release has had the same base design. It's going to bother me a hell of a lot to have this one damned mini that doesn't match.

If I had realized before I hit Checkout that the base is wrong I might not have pulled the trigger.


On Facebook, they did describe it as being on a 50 mm base. Since SDE bases are 48 and 24 mm, I kind of just assumed it be a standard base

sleepy_laughter wrote:
As for the base, I absolutely agree re: getting bases that matches the actual game the models are intended to be used with. I emailed SPM store and Scott responded that the slightly larger base that is not a dungeon base is the intended base. I am guessing the shop they use doesn't have/produce the large base. It would be nice if they gave some rationale, but it seems they are consistent in the that the resin models do not come with dungeon bases despite whatever is marketed.

My guess would be that producing the base in resin would be prohibitively expensive and the plastic bases would have to be produced in China and would hit the same problems SDL is currently facing. I highly doubt they stockpiled any extra bases, let alone enough for them to send of to factory producing the resin models.


March 12th, 2018, 5:00 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Posts: 526
It's not the end of the world, but certainly irksome for the price point. I expect the flat base is better for those that flock/base their models, but I can barely be bothered to learn how to paint 'properly' so that's not for me :).

I just found these on amazon:
Amazon Flying Stands

and now I have an overwhelming urge to play the Tusk Raider with the Hexcast Sorceress or Kunoichi Candy just to have a flying Walrus do whatever it wants to the board :twisted:


March 12th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Posts: 526
Tusk Raider back in stock as of 35m ago.


March 12th, 2018, 5:39 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: December 11th, 2015, 1:39 am
Posts: 290
Hey yeah I cry foul! The base in the picture isn't a flat disc! It matches in the picture!


March 12th, 2018, 8:12 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: July 5th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Posts: 513
InfinityMax wrote:
Hey yeah I cry foul! The base in the picture isn't a flat disc! It matches in the picture!

The picture is also a 3D Render and not a picture of the model.


March 12th, 2018, 8:17 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: December 11th, 2015, 1:39 am
Posts: 290
Sure, it's a render, but what else would I be able to see to make my buying decision?


March 12th, 2018, 9:00 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Posts: 526
The whole Tusk Raider execution has been sloppy. Cards without rounded edges or misprinted, the advertisements and insert that come with the model display a different base than what is included. I think folks are justified in being disappointed/unhappy with the delivered product when it misses expectations. If there is someone in charge of QA @ SPM for this, they obviously didn't do their job with this product. People remember these minor things, especially the cards, b/c they get pulled out everytime they play and there'll be folks that will stop buying/playing based on principle.

As for someone like me, I'm considering whether it's worth my time to round the edges on the card or if I'm more likely to make it worse.


March 12th, 2018, 9:57 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: April 16th, 2014, 6:41 pm
Posts: 325
If I remember correctly the previous resin models (Takoashi) come with black base so this could be assumed also here. It would of course be the best if they manufacture enough Super Dungeon bases and use those instead with their resin line. Maybe they could consider selling textured bases in the future as an alternative.


March 12th, 2018, 10:19 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: July 3rd, 2014, 12:03 am
Posts: 878
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Mine is at the post office. Waiting for me to pick it up and pay the extra $16+ for customs fees... :evil: :evil: :evil:

As if the damned thing wasn't expensive enough as it was.

_________________
Want to enjoy a game of Super Dungeon Exlore in half the time that Forgotten King offers? Try Lootimeter Mode!
Sodapop Lootimeter Discussion thread
BGG Lootimeter discusson thread


March 13th, 2018, 4:32 am
Profile
Minion
User avatar

Joined: March 20th, 2017, 6:00 am
Posts: 114
My Tusk is on the way. Propably takes 2 weeks to travel this far up north...

I'm kind of anxious to see the card if there has been misprints... :( I hope mine is not a mis printed. At this price point that should not happen!

Non-rounded edges don't bother me as I sleeve all my cards.

The base is a mild annoyance, but no deal breaker (well the deal has already been made...)

_________________
This is supposed to be a happy occasion, so let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.


March 13th, 2018, 7:53 am
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: January 12th, 2015, 4:17 pm
Posts: 803
Location: Brasília, Brazil
For the price they are charging, every negative detail counts:
- Burrs in the resin in greater quantity than appears in the plastic;
- No rounded card and poor quality card or thin hero card if compared to massive retail prints;
- Generic black base instead of textured Super Dungeon base for the miniature;
- Possibility to contain bubbles;
- More fragile than plastic and
- The "masterclass" detail quality on the miniature is not so notable or visible in front of plastic models to justify the price.


Put more $10 and ask for a extreme late pledge of "New Player" to get:

"The New Player pledge receives several significant upgrades over the original pledge, such as: alternate profile cards for your kobolds and drakes; the Loot and Treasure Decks in Explore and Arcade are different decks, doubling your loot and treasure; and a free—HUGE!—Dungeon Boss in King Starfire.

This pledge includes: Super Dungeon: Explore Super Dungeon: Arcade — New Player Pledge Edition

This is New Player Pledge specific version of Arcade that will include the complete rules and components that you need to play Arcade using your Super Dungeon: Explore models and tiles. It will include:

Super Dungeon: Arcade Rulebook
Token Sheet
Mighty Monster Chart
Hero Backpack
Reference Cards
Card Decks: Loot, Treasure, Challenge, Boss Challenge, Plot Deck
Arcade monster cards for: Kobolds, Drakes, Kobold Ogre, and Starfire
Alternate profile Arcade monster cards for: Shadow Warren Kobolds, Nether Drakes, Frozen Warren Kobolds, Frostbyte Drakes, Rex

Bonus Items — New Player Pledge These items will be bundled in boxes according to the wave in which they ship.

Princess Amethyst model and card.
Deeproot Druid model and card Angry Bear model and card
Hexcast Sorceress model and card
King Starfire model and Explore card, Arcade Card, 6x treasure cards, boss fight card, and Dragon Horn relic card. "


The downside is the fact this box continue on the imaginary realm, differently of a tangible Tusk Raider.

or

Wait for holidays in the end of the year to put more $10 to buy a huge quantity of random Super Dungeon miniatures provided by Holiday Chibi Mystery Box.


_________________
Super Dungeon Links
* | Compendium | * | Aella13 Painting Guide | * | Card Creator |

Lessons of Professor Internet.
* So, you're MAD about something on internet...
* The art of wait.


March 13th, 2018, 2:41 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: December 11th, 2015, 1:39 am
Posts: 290
Foxwhisperer wrote:
My Tusk is on the way. Propably takes 2 weeks to travel this far up north...

I'm kind of anxious to see the card if there has been misprints... :( I hope mine is not a mis printed. At this price point that should not happen!

Non-rounded edges don't bother me as I sleeve all my cards.

The base is a mild annoyance, but no deal breaker (well the deal has already been made...)

Literally all of those things bother me. A lot. If my walrus rider shows up with cards that don't match the other cards and a base that doesn't match the other bases and a misprinted card, I'm going to hit the damned ceiling. I have been the guy standing up and saying 'you guys don't be so hard on SPM' but selling me an absurdly expensive miniature that is chock-full of mistakes is the dad-gum limit.


March 13th, 2018, 2:45 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Posts: 526
So to be fair, the base is a higher quality base than the dungeon base. But it's not what I want. I want my minis to match and to fit on the board.

I cannot quite understand what Nephastus is trying to get at, but my understanding is a lot of those cons you list are considered acceptable tradeoffs by most hobbyists for the increased detail in resin vs. plastic when they opt into purchase such a product.

I see those issues as less of an issue with the product and more of the expectations setting/marketing around it. Most companies do NOT need to justify their product to their audience and $$$ talks and the walruses have been selling.


March 13th, 2018, 3:00 pm
Profile
Consul
User avatar

Joined: June 20th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Posts: 2754
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
sleepy_laughter wrote:
So to be fair, the base is a higher quality base than the dungeon base. But it's not what I want. I want my minis to match and to fit on the board.

I cannot quite understand what Nephastus is trying to get at, but my understanding is a lot of those cons you list are considered acceptable tradeoffs by most hobbyists for the increased detail in resin vs. plastic when they opt into purchase such a product.

I see those issues as less of an issue with the product and more of the expectations setting/marketing around it. Most companies do NOT need to justify their product to their audience and $$$ talks and the walruses have been selling.

To be fair, most companies put up pictures of the actual product customers will get.
Shipping this with plain flat bases while the pic below is what's in the store window... We are moving into a bit of a shady area.

Image

InfinityMax wrote:
Foxwhisperer wrote:
My Tusk is on the way. Propably takes 2 weeks to travel this far up north...

I'm kind of anxious to see the card if there has been misprints... :( I hope mine is not a mis printed. At this price point that should not happen!

Non-rounded edges don't bother me as I sleeve all my cards.

The base is a mild annoyance, but no deal breaker (well the deal has already been made...)

Literally all of those things bother me. A lot. If my walrus rider shows up with cards that don't match the other cards and a base that doesn't match the other bases and a misprinted card, I'm going to hit the damned ceiling. I have been the guy standing up and saying 'you guys don't be so hard on SPM' but selling me an absurdly expensive miniature that is chock-full of mistakes is the dad-gum limit.


They've kinda been marketing this as a luxury product - "Masterclass". These mistakes shouldn't be there and your ensuing outrage is justified.
But then again, these mistakes wouldn't be acceptable for ANY models in any of their lines. Wrong bases and uncut cards? That is simply unacceptable. It's Chinese knockoff quality!


I know I may be bashing a bit as of lately... But I haven't torched my collection and I still have a glimmer of hope for the future. But these two latest releases have just not been okay in my book for various reasons.

_________________
I'm Super Dungeon Excite!
Super Dungeon Explore Compendium


March 13th, 2018, 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.