View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2018, 2:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Arcade 2.0 
Bottle Cap

I didn't say your example was wrong. I refered to the "1& 2, then 3 & 2, then 1 & 2, then 3 & 2 etc." in the quote

in that quote it ought to be 1&2 (any order), then 3 [RESET markers] & 2 (in that order), then 1&3 (in any order) [RESET markers]. Back to the beginning picking any two.

the difference is subtle, but basically - in a 3 player game you cannot activate one particular hero in every single turn. At most, two turns in a row.

In a four-hero game you are slightly more restricted, but it is still possible to go twice in a row, but no more. Example

Round 1 Heroes A & B go
Round 2 Heroes C & D go
[RESET markers]
Round 3 Any two heros can go - eg. Heroes C & A if you want
Round 4 Heroes B & D go
[RESET markers]
etc. etc.

February 22nd, 2018, 8:17 pm
Denizen

Noir's right, my example is wrong so I updated my post to reflect that. Thanks for the catch! I played this correctly on my runthrough, but man, those activation tokens are a pain.

I've been using the key tokens to indicate whether they have/haven't activated. I think a two-sided counter that you flip may be more helpful to remember rather than moving a token onto/off of the card.

February 22nd, 2018, 8:47 pm
Denizen

@Spazz - i love the themed "hero" party. I had not thought of that since I'd consider something like that more for Legends/RP (if/once it comes out ;)). Since SPM has done such a good job with alternate mini-boss hero profiles there's so many options to do this -- just not as many 'good' mobs, but different mobs must certainly have scuffles!

February 22nd, 2018, 8:53 pm
Mini-Boss

sleepy_laughter wrote:
See page 41 Status effects:

The model suffers the effect until the token is removed,
at which point the effects immediately end. At the end
of a model’s activation remove all status effect tokens
from it.

So you can remove a status effect early using Heal, Remedy, or lose your move to stand up from knockdown or wait until end of activation.

Well, poop. That would have made it a LOT harder to kill the Forgotten King! I doubt that Team Kobold would have actually managed it, seeing as they still had so many elites, minions and an undamaged Salt to deal with!

No wonder that Plot card said to give them a Fire token at the start of every Consul turn!

February 22nd, 2018, 9:00 pm
Denizen

Yup. It makes it a lot more fiddly b/c you're adding and removing counters all the time, but since Fire now deals damage when the model activates during upkeep you can technically heal fire off a hero b/f it deals its damage, which may be necessary if you have a low health hero and can send someone healthier to take the fire damage, but also go blow up some minions to drop hearts to heal the fire before that particular hero activates. It also means, if you are on fire, you take damage during upkeep and then CAN WALK IN ALL THE LAVA and after your activation, remove the fire debuff. Same thing with poison and brambles in FK tiles.

Gone are the days of a heroes (and bosses) succumbing to a single fire debuff b/c the dice gods do not let you roll hearts or pots :).

It also means, IIRC, that you can be poisoned, run through brambles like a berserker, kill mobs to roll hearts, and heal the poison to recover the -1 action point and keep pew pewing.

February 22nd, 2018, 10:14 pm
Denizen

I had my second runthrough and it was much smoother AND a little faster (~1.75 hr) even with 4 heroes (which just feels better, imo), but I need to find a better play space rather than the floor b/c my joints are getting old!

4 heroes, Hearthsworn Fighter, Glimmerdusk Ranger, Holy Paladin, and Hexcast Sorceress vs. Arcade 2.0 dragon clutch, kobold warrens, kobold ogre, and Starfire...on the dragonfire peak tiles I finally opened! Way more thematic than fighting in the grass and somehow not lighting everything on fire. The plan was to have Hearthsworn Fighter and Glimmerdusk utilize AOE to clear the extra mobs from the linked spawn point in conjunction with their pots to help manage wounds and stealth high wrath heroes (to force mobs to clump up for MORE AOE) while the paladin acted as my blaster and Hexcast as his debuffer. Hearthsworn Fighter ended up being my Spawn Point Blaster b/c he got equip that granted massive damage and Holy Paladin glass cannon aoe since he got Wave 1 AOE equipment whereas the Ranger and Sorceress worked as expected (after getting geared). I did not need to use the Dwarf Pull action to clump mobs for AOE since creative use of tile structures, los, and stealth was sufficient to get me a number of efficient kills.

I didn't cheat this time (yay?), but I still managed to kill the last spawn point (but not all the mobs) on MMC9 to avoid the last MMC10 spawn. I used 3/5 princess coins since I had some nasty challenges where the mobs got +STR for wrath multiple challenges in a row or a hero got isolated by due to the rotating tile plot. My heroes were basically deleted in a single Consul turn by the kobold ogre and an almost entire kobold spawn so it didn't matter how much armor I had when they'd get +6 STR. I was loot starved until I defeated the third spawn point in addition to a ton of kobolds that got clumped due to rotation tile with paladin AOE (8 loot in 1 powerup phase :lol: ). Starfire was a pushover due to the boss challenges working in my favor and the third tile structured in such a way that Starfire could get in range (and stop moving), but none of the heroes were in range of his unique actions (no signature action in 2.0!).

Things I still forgot to do:
1) Roll Green die after the plot was resolved for treasure! I don't know why I don't want plot treasure. It almost feels enough to stop a plot b/c these things are crazy powerful in how they can affect the match. It really sets the tone for each game. Sometimes I'm both glad and sad there is one plot per game.
2) Re-read Critical Success and I misplayed this. Spawning Points are immune to Critical Success - I was thinking it was too easy to kill these with a lucky roll.

Observations:
1) The Arcade 2.0 mobs felt much better to play against. The dragons have more ARM, which feels better b/c they're baby dragons, not kobolds! And they are horrible for loot still...again, thematic b/c no pockets. The kobolds have gougers and knuckleheads split into different gangs and are in general weaker, which is nice, b/c then you can actually focus on one set of minions vs. the other to depower the elites. In general the Arcade 2.0 cards are weaker than their FK counterparts offensively, but tend to be more resilient (e.g. Kobold Ogre has more armor)
2) Mighty Monster Bonuses feel more appropriate/less punishing using the Arcade 2.0 cards or maybe I had less swingy rolls. These bonuses assume the heroes have powered up enough to handle these bonuses and ensure mobs aren't trivial. For this playthrough, this pacing was excellent b/c it definitely resulted me both taking more wounds (drama!) and missing more attacks and forcing me to adjust my strategy (or in two cases, sacrifice a hero for the good of the party!)
3) I used crystals on the cards to represent auras in play and who was affected by them rather than who was giving the aura so if a gang had +STR or +ARM aura I'd remember by seeing the counter on the card. I'm not in favor of MORE counters, but another of my tabletop games uses counters with +1 hit/-1 armor, etc. to track these 'per turn' adjustments since they are cleared up by the mobs next activation anyways. There are a lot more 'things' that happen in SDE, so I don't know how practical this is.
4) Using right side/left side to track wounds on multi wound mobs worked well, but only 2 drakes and 1 kobold have multiple wounds :). Did the same to track debuffs, which worked well. It'd be nice to have a clarified list of which debuffs are relevant to minions. On my estimate, Bane, Fire, Ice, Immobile, and Knockdown are relevant for sure. As mentioned by others, Hex, Poison, and slow only matters on elites since they're the ones moving/attacking/empowered by minions. Immobile and Knockdown I think are functionally the same for mobs b/c the debuff is cleared at the end of their activation regardless and is more relevant for abilities and immunities like pile-on.
5) I put my hero tokens in the upper/lower right/left b/w the equipment and it worked significantly better since it didn't take up that much more space. The only counters that I put ON the character card was the activation (key) counter I used and crystals for auras (since I didn't have a plot that used crystals). If I had a 2 sided counter to flip for activation and keep with the potion (b/c you usually only have 1-2 pots!) I think I'd prefer that better.
6) Tile layout matters for dungeon bosses that don't have what appears to be baseline Wave 3 debuff unique action. Starfire has good movement and flight, but since he stops as soon as he's in range 3, this doesn't mean that there will be any heroes in his lance 6 or sweep 2 unique actions. I put my high wrath hero around a corner so when Starfire got in range, he'd be diagonal and any unique actions would whiff and then had ranged heroes pew pew Starfire to death.
7) Loot equip still plays a huge part in how well the heroes progress. I didn't get Will equipment until Tile 3 so that Hexcast Sorceress could reliably land her debuffs, but since they only last a turn, they'd only be good for her own attacks unless she went first (which didn't happen often since other heroes tended to be stronger). Massive Damage loot on my Hearthsworn Fighter allowed him to potentially deal 3 wounds to a spawn point with a single 2 red action with a critical success. My Holy paladin was a glass cannon with all STR gear and +1 action, but he got Wave 1 AOE which allowed him to punish the Kobolds. Glimmerdusk had extra actions to Sparkleburst twice in a turn until I got green Dex die and she became my ranged blaster for the dungeon boss!
8) I don't think orphaned minions are atypical since they're commonly generated from good AOE rolls. I think it'd be rare to field a hero party without ANY AOE and even then, luck of the loot/treasure will give you access to AOE options. AOE (especially Wave) consistently allowed me to kill off minions while damaging the elites and in the cases you get critical successes, you can blow up a single gang in a single activation. I'm honestly not quite sure how one is supposed to defeat gangs efficiently without some access to AOE or Critical success, which usually isn't possible with +stat loot anyways. Drakes are meaty with 5 wounds per gang, but Kobolds are (of course) based on numbers so you have 2 wound flingers, 4-5 wound Scale Wall, and 6 wound dragon devotees. So there's a chance that two hero activations can kill a single gang with perfect rolls, but then there's the other gang(s) to worry about along with Spawn/Reinforce commands just around the corner. The tradeoff with bananas AOE is of course you accrue a ridiculous amount of wrath, but if everything dangerous is dead, there isn't sufficient reprisal. The challenge with +STR per wrath came up twice for me and was instrumental in all my hero deaths, which feels appropriate, but I'm not sure there's a better strategy than kamikaze AOE if you have princess coins available.
9) I am now a huge fan of the Critical Success rule. I thought it was silly to just have a 'built in' Massive Damage, but it just feels GOOD to roll 10 stars and crit a dungeon boss for two wounds just as it feels good to barely pull off a massive damage attack and get 2 wounds knowing how fickle dice can be. This is something my wife complained about that a really good roll and an ok roll did the same damage. And I like how they synergize where it's possible to use Massive Damage actions that tend to give +dice to increase chance of critical success. I was thinking that critical success can act as a soft AOE against gang elites for blasters w/o being overpowered b/c their actions tend to add more dice and it's 2 wounds, but is still relevant on just 'getting' a wound onto a mini/dungeon boss.
10) I feel +ARM equipment is vastly underpowered unless it also gives some sort of offensive boost. I think the opportunity cost is too high compared to getting stat gear. Unlike stat dice, you can't roll hearts or pots and it's only ever relevant if you're targeted, but taking +ARM gear when other heroes have +stat gear intrinsically means they'll typically deal more wounds and accrue more wrath. You can only slurp one potion per consul turn and unless you already have some wrath, picking up 2 more wrath to become the targeted hero feels like it's more situational and at least for me, there's not a guarantee to roll enough pots on the hero activation to consistently supply slurp potions. I only managed to use ARM to save wounds a few times during the game b/c the +STR modifiers from challenge, or mob, or whatever usually put it outside what I could roll only the available dice. It was not atypical to get hit by > 8STR attacks from the mini boss or elite gangs and I definitely had a turn where I took > 10 wounds across all my heroes since I could not save against any attacks even with 5 ARM dice. My initial loot was extremely poor in that it was almost all +ARM gear so I couldn't kill much to start, but then all of this gear got tossed by stat gear once I got it so +ARM gear for me is really a question is it better to equip ARM gear now and replace later or leave it in the backpack and count it as 1/6 treasure.
11) Um, I thought Epic Fight command would be awesome b/c I thought my heroes would also be dealing 2 wounds and we could mop up prior to dungeon boss. Nope. This is not how it works. RIP 2 heroes. Didn't lose more only b/c the mobs ran out of actions from killing the first two heroes.
12) Boss Challenge secret escape worked against the dungeon boss b/c he fled at almost full health and this actually afforded me activations to mop up mobs that were previously spawned to heal from his initial attack. I can imagine situations where Secret Escape is not just a reprieve for the heroes, especially if they haven't resolved the plot or defeated the mini boss and it's a race to get wounds on the dungeon boss, but in my game, it trivialized the difficulty b/c I could reposition the boss to avoid the unique actions.
13) Flingers were basically free loot as I prioritized killing them first due to good loot/wound ratio and the only thing I quibbled about was whether they should spawn first and thus closer to heroes/easier to kill *or* if they should spawn in the back (like a human consul player would do) so they'd hopefully survive and be able to use ranged attacks. Since this is Arcade, I decided to spawn elites based on the order of the gangs in the spawn point, but since they still need to spawn as close to the high wrath hero as possible, this still usually put them in an exposed position since minions cannot be proactively used to block line of sight to ranged mobs to protect them. I had a Fly potion anyways to get around this, but I do wonder how other spawnpoints without such easy elite loot will change the balance/pacing of my games.

More Rule issues/questions came up:
1) Boss challenge had dragon clutch mobs spawn again. Assume they do not get Quick Hatch move b/c they spawned from the boss rather than spawn point.
2) If I have two Ironscale elites with +1 ARM aura, do they get +2 ARM or +1 ARM if standing beside each other? I had trouble finding a rule to clarify whether identical ability/auras stack. I played they didn't b/c I was thinking what if I had Stealth and treated it as -3 range and then got Stealth again - would I then get -6 range? Maybe not the best example, but it came up.
3) Does spawning point get +1 ARM from MMC?

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on February 23rd, 2018, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 22nd, 2018, 10:36 pm
Bottle Cap

@sleepy_laughter

I would assume also that the Quick Hatch rule does not apply, when the monsters spawn from the boss card, because the spawn point is not in play.

With respect to question 2) you played correctly; Effects with identical names do not stack (i.e. the aura). It is found at a rather odd place in the rules on page 37, last paragraph.

February 22nd, 2018, 11:21 pm
Bottle Cap

Quote:
Massive Damage loot on my Hearthsworn Fighter allowed him to potentially deal 3 wounds to a spawn point with a single 2 red action with a critical success

Pg. 17 "Spawning points do not suffer additionalwounds due to critical success."

February 22nd, 2018, 11:42 pm
Denizen

Thanks :) I greatly appreciate having a group to bounce rule questions off. My wife just kind of looks at me funny when I'm trying to figure out how something (should) work and is always in favor of the mob just 'dying for sweet loot for it is their glory'

February 23rd, 2018, 2:23 am
Bottle Cap

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Thanks :) I greatly appreciate having a group to bounce rule questions off. My wife just kind of looks at me funny when I'm trying to figure out how something (should) work and is always in favor of the mob just 'dying for sweet loot for it is their glory'

Your wife sounds hilarious and like a great adventuring companion.

February 23rd, 2018, 3:37 am
Denizen

Unless you want dex loot. She has a monopoly on our dex heroes.

Has anyone played with lava whirl and turtles with new rules? I’m a bit intimidated by the sheer number of wounds. Crusher has 6 minions. The only bright side seems that the burning gels are loot piñatas and they don’t seem to have a ton of actions. I’m bringing dark centurion in addition to the rest of the Roxor heroes and bosses.

I’m planning to house rule tune the bosses to be closer to the arcade 2.0 boss power levels. Will see if I can this run done over the weekend.

February 23rd, 2018, 7:48 am
Mini-Boss

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Has anyone played with lava whirl and turtles with new rules? I’m a bit intimidated by the sheer number of wounds. Crusher has 6 minions. The only bright side seems that the burning gels are loot piñatas and they don’t seem to have a ton of actions. I’m bringing dark centurion in addition to the rest of the Roxor heroes and bosses.

Funny you should say that....

This is the new game which I have set up but have not yet got to playing.

February 23rd, 2018, 1:30 pm
Mini-Boss

So with the raid on the Forgotten King and Salt, the Kobolds have declared war on the denizens of the forest, and with the defeat of the Forgotten King (although it could be said that the Kobolds did not play fair - (due to my getting some rules wrong! :oops:) . But wait, what is happening here?

It looks like having been pushed out of their territory, a couple of the forest mini-bosses are launching an attack on Roxor and his rocktops.

Bashful Boris and Trent are getting leading the attack here, but who is that being shielded behind them? It's that succubus again! Why does she keep showing up? :twisted:

The game got set up last night, but I did not have time to actually play it through. Hopefully that will happen tonight. More to report soon.

February 23rd, 2018, 3:38 pm
Bottle Cap

Quote:

The whole reason I am here is to see comments from others to make sure I am playing it right as I rebuild my love for the game. First time through I had a page of comments after re-reading the rules of things I did wrong, second time I had it down to two that I know of. Going to give it another go this weekend to see if at the end I feel confident I did everything right or not (though I may through in Pet Parade for giggles, which if I do I'm sure I'll get something wrong there too as I have not played it before)

February 23rd, 2018, 4:39 pm
Denizen

Your 'evil' party playthroughs have inspired me to paint my mini-boss heroes :). I love this idea! I have no idea how effective the mini boss heroes are since we've shied away from them (and some seemed underpowered). Those linked spawning points really do fill in the tile!

Is that how you spawned the first tile or just how you posed it? I was thinking if I had a spawning point that close to the heroes, I'd just have a wall of turtle shells to plow through. The rules definitely say on page 7 that elites spawn as close to the heroes as possible without being adjacent and then minions are spawned w/in 2 that cannot be adjacent unless cannot be placed otherwise.

Also i think the starting point is supposed to be the farthest dungeon exit possible, but with a spawn in the middle of the tile I don't know if that matters. Elite Spawning does prioritize LOS to the spawning point > close to heroes > adjacent to other minions so maybe I'll get lucky with a spawning point in a room and they're just all stuck inside.

February 23rd, 2018, 4:58 pm
Mini-Boss

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Your 'evil' party playthroughs have inspired me to paint my mini-boss heroes :). I love this idea! I have no idea how effective the mini boss heroes are since we've shied away from them (and some seemed underpowered). Those linked spawning points really do fill in the tile!

Thanks! I seem to have overlooked them a lot too when choosing parties, but the idea for the "evil party" has been one that I have wanted to explore, so this is the time!

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Is that how you spawned the first tile or just how you posed it? I was thinking if I had a spawning point that close to the heroes, I'd just have a wall of turtle shells to plow through. The rules definitely say on page 7 that elites spawn as close to the heroes as possible without being adjacent and then minions are spawned w/in 2 that cannot be adjacent unless cannot be placed otherwise.

This is how I spawned it. I was aware of the elites needing to be as close as possible, but was also reading into the rule where they wanted to advance only as far as they needed to to be in range. Not sure that it makes too much difference really.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Also i think the starting point is supposed to be the farthest dungeon exit possible, but with a spawn in the middle of the tile I don't know if that matters. Elite Spawning does prioritize LOS to the spawning point > close to heroes > adjacent to other minions so maybe I'll get lucky with a spawning point in a room and they're just all stuck inside.

Yeah, I think I didn't read that second qualification that the spawn point needs to be the furthest, but again, I don't think it is a big deal in this case as the one at the bottom of the picture is one further away from where they're at now. I may reset before starting play.

February 23rd, 2018, 6:13 pm
Bottle Cap

Quote:
Also i think the starting point is supposed to be the farthest dungeon exit possible

*sigh, adds another item to his list of rules played incorrectly during the last run

February 23rd, 2018, 7:07 pm
Denizen

@ Spazz

Quote:
This is how I spawned it. I was aware of the elites needing to be as close as possible, but was also reading into the rule where they wanted to advance only as far as they needed to to be in range. Not sure that it makes too much difference really.

I couldn't find a rule for spawning related to being in range of the heroes. The example on p11 populate dungeon has an example of minions being in base contact with the starting heroes, which has been relatively common for my first tile unless the spawn point happens to be in the far back or restricted by LOS to the spawn point.

Re: spawning mobs (where and how), this seems to be covered on:
p11 7. Populate the dungeon - place elites in LOS of the spawn, place minions
p29 Spawn (Consul Command) - place elites from spawning pool in LOS of spawn, place minions from spawning pool for placed elites, do not spawn minions for elites that are not in spawn pool, heal all wounds and status effects on mobs already on the board from the spawning pool.
p29 Reinforce (Consul Command) - place minions to existing elites up to the spawn point limit (regardless of whether the spawn point is still on the board).

p29 Spawn Consul Command is interesting in how it's worded:

However, if none of a gang's elites are available to spawn, no monsters in the gang may spawn.

Based on this wording, elites already on the board are not spawned and thus their minions may not spawn unless there is a corresponding elite in the spawning pool.

For my playthroughs, it means it's advantageous to kill minions prior to a Spawn command rather than elites or the Spawn point because if I killed the elites, they'd just respawn AND come back with minions. Killing the spawn point means the next spawn point would spawn and I'd typically be overwhelmed since it usually takes an entire hero activation to destroy a full health spawn point.

===================
I think the rule you're thinking of is on p26 Move (Consul Command) > Stop Movement.

Once a solo or elite is within attack range or adjacent to their target, and in line of sight, the monster stops moving.
===================
From how I've been playing, this means that monsters will be as close to the heroes as possible and spread out as much as possible after the initial spawn, command spawn, or command reinforce. However, when solo and elite mobs move, they will move to be adjacent to each other if that places them in range using the shortest path possible. Minions will endeavor to be spread out if possible while still supporting their elite, but generally, if you have advantageous tile structures, you can get at least the elites to clump and thus force minions to clump as much as possible for reprisal AOE.

Same deal with Regroup - monsters have no rule against finishing movement adjacent to another mob so after a regroup, if you have enough firepower to overpower the +1ARM bonus, is an opportune time to unleash AOE since they'll generally clump up as per the movement rules.

=====================
The only somewhat awkward things I've had happen is when all the elites/minions get stuck behind a mini-boss b/c they don't have movement to get past. Since they're usually all ranged, they can Fight through the mini-boss to hit heroes, but heroes can't see through the mini-boss to target the elites/minions, but can theoretically (if I read burst correctly) burst the back side of the mini-boss to hit the mobs behind him or use something like Lance that will penetrate the LOS wall. I know this works the same as in Explore and the heroes 'can' do it themselves if they bring heroes with large bases - I mention this b/c I had the great idea position my heroes to use the mini-boss to block all the mobs and ended up with this situation.

February 23rd, 2018, 8:52 pm
Denizen

Page 11 paragraph 3, 4th & 5th lines.

“Elites must be placed as close to a Hero as possible.”

I hope this helps

February 23rd, 2018, 8:59 pm
Denizen

Now for something different. I'm posting a battle report on behalf of another player (who's currently waiting for her forum account to be approved. What follows is Raven's and her boyfriend's first arcade play-through battle report.

(in her own words from here on out)

2 players, 4 heroes (Glimmerdusk Ranger, Riftling Rogue, Royal Paladin, Ember Mage), 3 spawn points (Egg Clutch and two Kobold Warrens), Kobold Ogre Mini-boss, Starfire boss

11:33 - We just about finished setting up the dungeon, and the position of the elites and their minions seemed hyper-aggressive. Apparently that's how it goes in this strange land of Arcade.

Things did not go very well for the heroes at first. I wanted to get the Ember Mage into that square of elites right next to the spawn point so she could do her 2AP wave 1, fire attack on them. First, we had the Glimmerdusk Ranger pick off all three of the Gouger minions so my Mage attack would hit the Dragon Priest. She got three Wrath and ran away as far from the rest of us as she could. Then, the Ember Mage got into position and completely whiffed. She spent her last AP to boop the Dragon Priest. It's only now as I write this that I realize that the Dragon Priest should have been on fire.
The heroes persevered, avoiding lots of damage that came their way, but they just were not putting out enough damage on their turns. The Ember Mage did not manage to land a single wound for at least five turns. It was miserable. The Glimmerdusk Ranger consistently had the most wrath on her, with the Riftling Rogue and Royal Paladin sometimes flirting with that line.

12:40 - The Mighty Monster Chart wanted to spawn things as part of Step 3, but the heroes outsmarted it by having not successfully killed anything, so there were no Kobolds to spawn. Haha!

2:00 - We were about to start Turn 7. While we were having fun, we weren't getting anywhere. The heroes still hadn't left the first tile, most of the original gangs were still on the board, the mini-boss showed up and whiffed all over the Riftling Rogue, and we had only had to spend one princess coin. The game was far along, but we couldn't see to make progress.
At this point, we just decided that we would just abandon the fight on the first tile. It was clearly a lost cause. We sent the Lucky Riftling Rogue to the treasure chest on the second tile and she successfully avoided another Boo Booty. (The Paladin had opened the first treasure chest and had to spend his whole first turn dealing with the Boo Booty. Luckily, it was a Booty Grider and he had no equipment yet.)

Things at this point started to feel like they were turning around. The Rogue and the Paladin successfully killed the Egg Clutch spawn point. We felt like we were on our way. However, there was a challenge card was truly the killing blow. It made us discard all of our Red equipment, and that had been some of our best. Then the dark forces rallied with their MMC-induced Epic Fight. The Painful Echoes challenge engulfed the heroes, and the Glimmerdusk Ranger, Riftling Rogue, and Royal Paladin all fell to the Wyrmlings’ attacks. One princess coin remained, when just moments ago we'd only suffered one death.

We managed to kill the third spawn point before MMC - Step 10 (with the spawn and double-move), and summon Starfire. This had been our plan to deal with the slowly approaching rabble, to ensure that they wouldn't epic fight us again or use uniques on us, so we did accomplish something. I think we finally perished on the third turn the boss was out. We had a spectacular moment when Starfire did a lance attack that just happened to miss us all. It was just like in Monster Hunter, because the Rogue was standing right by his back left foot.

3:30 The Royal Paladin fell to the shambling horde of drakes that finally caught up to us. He was exhausted, and just could not defend himself. With him perished our hopes, and our first game of Arcade.

Only after we started cleanup did we notice that we'd completely ignored the Arcade plot and things should have been much worse for us. Ooops. Still hard, still crushed us on Normal. We had fun. My boyfriend liked playing the heroes with me instead of being stuck as the consul. We'd definitely play again.

February 24th, 2018, 6:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next