View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 12th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Looking for imput on trying to make the ijin less powerful 
Mini-Boss

My gaming group and I really like ninja all stars but we have modified the rules a bit to make it more enjoyable. The ijin are too good with void mastery. They already get a bunch of bonus dice to combat, and with void mastery all their units get to reroll all attack dice. That is just too brutal. What i am thinking of implementing is making it so you can not use elemental masteries in combat. I think that will help take some teeth from the ijin bit still leave them great in combat. Any feed back is welcome.

September 22nd, 2017, 1:37 am
Bottle Cap

Not all Ijin have void mastery?

October 1st, 2017, 9:28 pm
Minion

Leaving it out of combat is probably the easiest solution. But it does then hinder other clans as they are losing a combat reroll too (except for Kitsune, they probably dont want to roll more Spirit results).

I had been tinkering with a system to change the Elemental Mastery to slightly buff a result of their clan a Ninja picked, but that emans droping the out of combat reroll it also grants.

October 2nd, 2017, 12:47 pm
Ninja Corps

I have to say that, at least in my personal experience, the void mastery isn't that notable of a combat advantage over other masteries. It is, obviously, more advantageous than other masteries when it comes to an attack roll (side note, the Kitsune mastery is less useful on an attack roll, but more useful on a defense roll, and vice verse with void mastery) but that advantage has not been unbalancing.

We have found that the real combat monster has been the Yamazaru. Even when going up against the Ijin, they have had such staying power it has been amazing. They don't have the raw power to tear things down that the Ijin do, but they are built like concrete cubes and can stand up to anything. Maybe it's just our group, but we have found a fair amount of balance between the clans. With Ijin and Yamazaru at the top, a small gap to Ika and Kitsune (though, the skill gap between Kitsune and other clans is quite large), and then Tora and Tancho at the bottom after another small gap. Though, our Tora player often makes some questionable tactical and growth decisions, so they may be better than they present to us as well.

In general, though, there has been no huge skew in any particular clan beating any other particular clan. When the clans are changed up for a fresh league or something (except the Tora player, who never seems to change) there are patterns of certain players winning more often, irrelevant of clan. Out last league saw the Ijin near the bottom, actually. So, to us at least, it seems that the attack differential between clans is there, noticeable, but small. More importantly, an attack differential is only a small piece of what makes a clan function. Game can, and have, been won without any knockouts from the winning team to the losing team. Attack isn't everything. Often, it's only one tool in the toolbox for a combat unrelated goal in a scenario.

(full disclosure, we play slightly off main rules using my version of league shop and my version of alternative ninja injury here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5090 though neither greatly skew the observed results, I believe.)

October 2nd, 2017, 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]