View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2018, 12:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Super Dungeon Explore Homebrew Campaign in progress. 
Denizen

Good evening all! For anyone interested I've started piecing together a campaign based on everyone's favorite dungeon brawler.

I've wanted to do this for awhile and during the last week I have had a massive surge of creative energy. I've made a strip map of the entire region where this will take place and have jotted down the main plot points of the story. For the last 2 days I've been writing down the sequence of events in more detail, covering a first draft of the story script and the battles that will take place as it develops. So far I have about 6 pages of handwritten notes (on top of about 6 more pages of concepts and creative brainstorming).

Here are the details so far:

-This will utilize the base set, Von Drakk Manor, Caverns of Roxor, Succubus Vandella, Herald of Vulcanis, Kaelly the Nether Strider and Nyan Nyan.
-The finished product is expected to contain approx 15 - 20 battles. This is just a rough estimate rough now. It may be more if it fits the overarching story, but only if it works naturally into the setup.
-I plan to use D&D tiles to expand the world as well as a dry erase, grid based dungeon mat. However for those of you who don't wanna buy a bunch of extra material, the former should be enough to play this campaign.
-The dungeon tracker will not be used. Loot and relics will be "dropped" by enemies and found in chests like in most video game RPGs. These loot and relic items will be predetermined, not random.
-There will be a very basic currency system in play for replacing potions and buying certain items. I plan on using the small Goddess/Consul tokens to represent this.

Okay, that's enough for now. I'll post more details as I go and if this project generates enough interest, I can post some story/setting/premise information too.

April 13th, 2014, 2:52 am
Mini-Boss

Sounds cool! I've been dreaming of a story driven alternative to the classic mode of Super Dungeon Explore. My idea is to create a choose your own adventure type book. Each battle would be like a bite size scenario that you can play in less than 30 minutes or so, and would only use 1 or 2 tiles. I like the ideas of reoccuring bosses, like the anti heroes, to torment the heroes occasionally. Instead of just killing monsters, they might have other rules too. I'm definitely interested in what you'll dream up!

April 13th, 2014, 2:56 am
Ninja Corps

Sounds great. Bookmarked. Make it so, and good luck.

Ninja, NW Ohio, Since 5/20/2014
Co-Host of the Questing Knights Podcast
http://www.questingknightspodcast.com/

April 13th, 2014, 3:07 am
Profile YIM
Mini-Boss

Holy Cross wrote:
...These loot and relic items will be predetermined, not random.

Nice idea. Will there be optional sidequests that the players could do in order to get the best equipment? :lol:
Do share all the details when you've finalised them - it sounds exciting!

April 13th, 2014, 11:35 am
Mini-Boss

By the way I found this nifty website where you can basically create a CYOA type game. Don't know if it would help or not. It's made for a digital format like Kindle, so I don't think you can export it to a pdf or anything. Still, might be useful for you.

http://writer.inklestudios.com/

April 13th, 2014, 1:19 pm
Denizen

Side quests are definitely in the pipes. Optional battles against strong bosses for Green Dice relics. And some of the other really good ones like Sword of Alacrity.

There will be optional objectives in the story battles that yield extra rewards.

Loot and relics be much more spread out since they will carry over through the story.

April 13th, 2014, 1:22 pm
Denizen

@Eternaldream, thanks I'll check it out when I get home. Could be useful.

April 13th, 2014, 1:24 pm
Mini-Boss

Holy Cross wrote:
Side quests are definitely in the pipes. Optional battles against strong bosses for Green Dice relics. And some of the other really good ones like Sword of Alacrity.

Groovy! 8-)
What I would say though is that relics that simply give +1G to a primary stat probably don't need hiding away in bonus levels. It will of course depend how your campaign and its equipment carryover system works, but I'd say that the really top tier ones that you'll want to sequester hard or outright cut out are the Dragon Bow and similar relics that give missile attacks and the Gem of Greed. Those things are top tier, completely unstoppable in the right hands. Below that you've got some +1G relics that also give good abilities, as well as the Sword of Alacrity and a few other relics that give lesser or no dice but can still work wonders in the right build - these too could be worth doing bonus levels for. I'd put the various runes that give +1G to a stat in a 3rd tier beneath these two, and given that there's quite a number of nice trinkets in the first 2 tiers, devising optional tasks to unlock 3rd tier items is in my opinion superfluous.
But as I say, depends on how your system works :)

April 13th, 2014, 4:30 pm
Denizen

Dr. Despair wrote:
Holy Cross wrote:

Groovy! 8-)
What I would say though is that relics that simply give +1G to a primary stat probably don't need hiding away in bonus levels. It will of course depend how your campaign and its equipment carryover system works, but I'd say that the really top tier ones that you'll want to sequester hard or outright cut out are the Dragon Bow and similar relics that give missile attacks and the Gem of Greed. Those things are top tier, completely unstoppable in the right hands. Below that you've got some +1G relics that also give good abilities, as well as the Sword of Alacrity and a few other relics that give lesser or no dice but can still work wonders in the right build - these too could be worth doing bonus levels for. I'd put the various runes that give +1G to a stat in a 3rd tier beneath these two, and given that there's quite a number of nice trinkets in the first 2 tiers, devising optional tasks to unlock 3rd tier items is in my opinion superfluous.
But as I say, depends on how your system works :)

I absolutely agree with pretty much all of that. By saying it would be green dice relics, I don't mean that it would be exclusively those ones, or that having a green dice would be an automatic qualifier to hide an item away behind an Adolph Roxor. That said, the heroes are gonna have to work for it if they want the "Assassin's Crossbow".

I'm also toying with the Idea of allowing players to stack a second loot card on certain slot, but with certain prerequisites. 1). May not be a dice boost, so Rune of Haste, Petrified Dragons Heart etc would be ok. 2). It would not occur until much later in the Game so as to maintain a steady growth curve.

Also, I want to restrict who can equip certain items. Characters would have an assigned "Final Weapon", Example: Sword of Alacrity: Royal Paladin, Assassins Crossbow: Riftling Rogue, etc.

April 13th, 2014, 4:57 pm
Denizen

Also, I forgot to mention Captain R in the first post... Captain R is definitely being used! :D

April 13th, 2014, 5:01 pm
Denizen

Here are a few images for one of the battles mid game:

April 15th, 2014, 1:09 am
Denizen

The heroes will have to fight their way through the streets to Kaelly in order to reclaim this village.

Map effects will reduce ranged attacks by 2-3 squares for the heroes. The bombadiers however, will have +5 range, allowing them to cover the center streets with artillery fire, forcing the heroes to use the houses as cover to get closer to Kaelly in one piece.

April 15th, 2014, 1:19 am
Denizen

The Riftling Rogue will rejoin you if you can reach her (story events separate the heroes early on in the game). Just think how useful her potion could be in getting across that river.

April 15th, 2014, 1:25 am
Denizen

Monster/Mini-boss scripts will be key in this campaign. Kaelly will not be leaving her place at the objective, forcing the heroes to fight their way across the map. Furthermore, the bombardiers will hold their position at the bridge, covering the center street. Rushing in head first will not end well for this group of heroes. I want the battles in this campaign to be dynamic and strategic, rewarding those who apply good strategy.

April 15th, 2014, 1:35 am
Denizen

Quick update, I've finished up the macro-planning, as far as how the battles link together and where the side quests fit in. As it stands there will be 23 battles.

The breakdown is as follows:

(1)Intro battle... Or battle zero as I have it labelled.
(16) main story battles leading up to
(1) final battle
(2) corollary battles, supplementing the story, will be fit in as interludes between main story missions early in the game.
(3) optional dungeons against tough bosses with decently high payoff if the heroes win.

The next steps will be drawing up the battles, scripting behavior for key monsters/bosses and then refining the dialogue and narrative. More updates to come as this progresses.

April 15th, 2014, 7:07 pm
Mini-Boss

I love the use of traditional DND tiles.

Maybe I'll steal the idea, Muahahahahaha!

April 15th, 2014, 7:53 pm
Employee

If you're going to have currency you may as well use the actual currency of Crystalia:

Crystal Crowns: Commonly called, Crowns, and occasionally, Princess Coins. Each coin features the stylized representation of a princess upon it, with a colored field representing its value.

Emerald = 1 Crown
Sapphire = 5 Crowns
Ruby = 20 Crowns
Citrine = 50 Crowns
Amethyst = 200 Crowns

April 15th, 2014, 8:35 pm
Denizen

SPM_Deke wrote:
If you're going to have currency you may as well use the actual currency of Crystalia:

Crystal Crowns: Commonly called, Crowns, and occasionally, Princess Coins. Each coin features the stylized representation of a princess upon it, with a colored field representing its value.

Emerald = 1 Crown
Sapphire = 5 Crowns
Ruby = 20 Crowns
Citrine = 50 Crowns
Amethyst = 200 Crowns

Thanks Deke! I'll use that information. I want the story and scenario to be canonical/in line with the SDE mythology. When this is ready to be "published" (and by published I mean freely released to the SDE community) would you be willing to review it, poke holes in it and suggest changes/adjustments in order to make it fit in to the Crystalia universe?

April 15th, 2014, 8:49 pm
Denizen

Salaura wrote:

I don't mind, ....so long as you don't tell people it was your idea ;P

April 15th, 2014, 9:07 pm
Mini-Boss

Holy Cross wrote:
Salaura wrote:

I don't mind, ....so long as you don't tell people it was your idea ;P

If that's the game we're playing then BAM! ©Using Space Hulk corridors for my homebrew campaign! :lol:

On what you said earlier about special campaign rules for equipment, doubleslotting equipment is interesting, but it would need to be controlled if the Heroes are not to become overly powerful. So how about combining it with your 'Final Weapon' idea, and adding a good dollop of flavour into the mix? Rather than having extra slots or slotsharing, you could give particular Heroes extra special slotless rewards based on important plot events and thematic whatsits that happen in the campaign. This avoids the disadvantage of the Final Weapon system (it takes up the relic slot, limiting the options that the Hero players have to customise their characters), whilst also giving Heroes power that goes beyond what they could get from their equipment slots in a way that is easy to manage. To illustrate how this would work (sorry I'm going to have to invent a campaign here, since I know nothing about the narrative of yours), consider this example:

Four Heroes are on a quest to obtain the 4 Shards of the Gem of Greed in order to fulfil the prophecy of the Wind Seer and prevent the destruction of the Kingdom of Crystalia by the Lord of All Fire. Each shard is in the possession of a terrifying Dragon Lord, crowning the majestic treasuries they guard in lairs constructed from the ruins of civilisations they have destroyed.

Here, we have 4 Heroes and 4 important events that they could get a commemorative item from (the slaying of each dragon and acquisition of each part of the ultimate treasure). Each event would give a slotless bonus to a different Hero, and would be thematically linked to them by having each subarc leading up to the death of each Dragon Lord focus on a different Hero. For instance:

The third of these Lords is Deathsmile the Undying, Dracolich and First King of the Dragons. Revived by the dark magic of the Consul after his death at the hands of Queen Ruby I, he lurks in the catacombs of a city lost to time in the depths of a dormant volcano, surrounded by his cult of death-worshipping Kobolds and a cadre of elite assassins and spies. During the course of the story these assassins attempt to kill Princess Ruby, but by some twist of fate they end up murdering innocent bystanders instead. Wracked by guilt and incensed by rage, the party follow the assassins' trail to Deathsmile's lair. After much justice they find in the lair the Dragon Bow, the lost artefact Queen Ruby I used to slay King Deathsmile and save her foundling Kingdom from destruction. Finishing her ancestors work with her ancestor's weapon, Ruby and her gang kill the dragon for good and recover the penultimate shard of the gem. Ruby retains the bow to help her on her quest and to remind herself of the important lessons she's learnt during this chapter of the story. She can now use the Dragon Bow in boss battles, gaining +1G DEX and the Solar Flare special attack whilst the boss is in play.

Ignore the details of my example - it's embarrassingly cheesy. Its purpose is just to try and illustrate how you could make this commemorative bonus system work with an example Hero. Here we have given Ruby the opportunity to use one of the most powerful and awesome relics for her in a way that can be balanced - at the same time however we haven't used up her relic slot, meaning that the Ruby player hasn't lost any of the options they would have in a standard game to customise her. And we have done so in a way that ties in with the (admittedly lacklustre) overarching narrative of our campaign. In the context of your campaign, you could do something similar.

April 15th, 2014, 11:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next