View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 15th, 2017, 5:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 How did you get into Super Dungeon Explore? 
Minion

There was a time that I loved Munchkin, it was a long, long time ago. Then I played ANY other take that game, like Battle Wizards or even Smash Up, that make Munchkin look really, really bad.

Since playing board games again, I've yet to have a fun game of it.

April 1st, 2014, 12:36 pm
Dungeon Boss

As long as you don't burn yourself out with Munchkin, it's typically a fun time. It's great with casual gamers or people who have never played the game, and it can even be good with more hardcore gamers, in moderation.

April 1st, 2014, 1:27 pm
Bottle Cap

Saw it local game store on December, this is in the sudden shift in our group's gaming habits (usually meet online and game) now its usually weekly nights at someone's house for a game night. We loved it and everyone demands that I have them painted.

April 1st, 2014, 1:35 pm
Denizen

Saw it at local game store and had heard about it online, wanted to try it.

Will Captain R ever get some love and get his skeletal crew or will he forever remain the captain that went down with his ship and left them behind?
Not for this kickstarter, but we love us some pirates! ;)

April 1st, 2014, 1:43 pm
Bottle Cap

One day I asked myself: 'Is there any miniatures company who makes anime-style figures?'

So I searched and found SDE material, falling in love with its Wonderboy-vibe. Looking for some gameplay, I ended in the (superb) WachtItPlayed series on youtube and my though was 'WTF this seems like a tabletop version of Shining Force 2!!!', which was arguably my favourite childhood/early teens videogame and is still is on my top-ten videogames of all time.

I was stung right in the heart, had no choice but to pick the game plus Candy&Cola (in fact, I even bought C&C on Ebay a couple of weeks before going to my local store to purchase the core set).

April 1st, 2014, 1:57 pm
Denizen

Xylon Lionheart wrote:
I don't get why so many people hate Munchkin. I and almost all of my friends love it and, we too are avid gamers. I think the fact that Tom Vasel dislikes the game makes a lot of people iffy on it. I don't think it's the best game, but it's still a good game.

<OT>

Because Munchkin is a horribly designed drag-fest that relies entirely on weak puns for immature chuckle value. It suffers from excessive randomness syndrome, it is enormously slow-starting and tedious at first and too fast at the end. All games ends virtually the same way with one person being close to winning, all others doing what they can to thwart him, and then the next player that draws a monster wins because everyone have exhausted their buffs, nerfs and expenditure cards. I loved it the first ten games, now it is one of my most hated games. Having to play it is the dullest of dull times.

Now back on topic, folks.

April 1st, 2014, 2:10 pm
Mini-Boss

I went to the CMON booth at Gencon where they were first showing off their LE metal minis.

I had thought that they'd be showing off Relic Knights, but SDE got the really big display that year. The minis were really pretty.

I demoed the proper rules set the next year, and really liked it. I was into Space Crusade, Siege of the Citadel and other classic dungeon crawlers, and I really loved the way that SDE combined elements of those classic games with classic videogame styles.

I picked up a Candy and Cola at the next year's Gencon (the one with the misprinted card), and pre-ordered the box game shortly after (so I got a second Candy- that I converted into Terra and Mog).

My wife and I both paint minis a lot. Our SDE set is fully painted (pending the Netherstrider in the mail). SDE really has the only line where we have to negotiate who gets which mini. We've had to get seconds of quite a few of the bosses and mini bosses.

April 1st, 2014, 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Came for the relic knights, stayed for the adorable SDE

April 1st, 2014, 3:03 pm
Minion

My friend had talked me into buying games like Descent, Talisman and Warhammer Fantasy/40K. While they were okay for a little while, they fizzled pretty bad when we both gained a family life. My friend bought SDE from a hobby shop near Milton Keynes, where we live, and we were hooked. The characters, the tiles, the quickness to setup and run a two hero game. It was all awesome! From then on it has been my addiction.

Unfortunately, money isn't as easy to come by now and with limited UK stockists, to avoid import duties/ghastly postage, I am a tad behind (I WANT KAELLY!!!). But I have back Forgotten King. So please, please, please SPM; find a UK/EU distributor so I don't get stung by my country's greedy Government.

April 1st, 2014, 8:29 pm
Denizen

Mikademus wrote:
Xylon Lionheart wrote:
I don't get why so many people hate Munchkin. I and almost all of my friends love it and, we too are avid gamers. I think the fact that Tom Vasel dislikes the game makes a lot of people iffy on it. I don't think it's the best game, but it's still a good game.

<OT>

Because Munchkin is a horribly designed drag-fest that relies entirely on weak puns for immature chuckle value. It suffers from excessive randomness syndrome, it is enormously slow-starting and tedious at first and too fast at the end. All games ends virtually the same way with one person being close to winning, all others doing what they can to thwart him, and then the next player that draws a monster wins because everyone have exhausted their buffs, nerfs and expenditure cards. I loved it the first ten games, now it is one of my most hated games. Having to play it is the dullest of dull times.

Now back on topic, folks.

Sounds like you are not playing it with the right type of people. I will admit that Munchkin is not the best designed game, but I don't understand how so many people HATE the game like they do. Luck does play a large part in the game, but who wins tends to skew towards who is able to interact with the rest of the players well. There is value to using your arsenal before the final showdown, and so many people choose not to use it until the final moment. I've had some great moments in gaming thanks to Munchkin, such as coming back from a level 1 Thief when everybody else was around level 8 and 9 and winning the game, and also, when somebody tried to make a fight hard, dog-piling 3 more monsters and then transferring the fight to him.

(Cosmic Encounter is probably my favorite game with heavy player interaction, though.)

EDIT: I think that a lot of the hate for Munchkin comes from its pervasiveness and popularity when there are many, MANY other games that are out there that are mechanically better. Does it make it bad? Not at all. A well-done steak can make a fast food burger look awful, even if the burger itself is tasty.

EDIT 2: Sorry for going so off topic as well. I just feel like Munchkin is receiving more hate than it deserves.

April 2nd, 2014, 1:26 am
Consul

I think the Munchkin issue is that it's really a social interaction game based on kingmaking, not the card strategy game that it appears to be.

If I wanted to play kingmaker, I'd play a pure game like the Great Dalmuti, where kingmaking and social interaction is what it is, and it's done masterfully.
____

For how badly Munchkin sucks, go read this. I think it covers everything.

http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comm ... out_to_be/

Now go ebay that junk and pledge more SDE!

April 2nd, 2014, 2:11 am
Bottle Cap

I saw it when it was launching years and years ago.

I immediately fell in love with the art and concept (adorable dungeon crawl with old school game overtones? YES) , but I wanted to make sure the game was solid before I dropped the significant buy-in price. I heard some bad things about the rules, so I kinda forgot about it.

Fast forward a few years. Heard that the rules got cleaned up, had some scratch handy and I jumped in with both feet.

I've yet to actually play it, as I'm one of those people who has to have stuff 'table ready' and my game group is made of busy adults with kids and such, but I am pretty happy with my experience so far.

April 2nd, 2014, 6:56 am
Minion

I was drawn in by the super deformed anime style figures that I could paint.
While I don't paint to often, it gives me a great pleasure once I do and get to finish the SDE minis :^)

And once you got the figures, there's no excuse not to play the game :^P

April 2nd, 2014, 7:37 am
Minion

art and models are just what I like most.
saw the models and i wanted them to paint

+ my friends aren't into miniature games so malifaux, warhammer, anima actics, warmachine,.... are kind of impossible to play with them. A boxed boardgame is the best solution/middle ground.

my terain building: http://community.sodapopminiatures.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2276
http://community.sodapopminiatures.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4474

April 2nd, 2014, 10:04 am
Bottle Cap

I love werewolves. Its a crazy obsession in my household. And our pathfinder characters are from the same family pack of werewolves.

I was looking around for cute chibi werewolves, to use as a joke miniature for a pathfinder game. I saw Van Wilder from the Von Drakk set. And I was hooked on the mini. So I bought the set. And then started getting the other sets.

April 2nd, 2014, 10:45 am
Bottle Cap

When I was a kid, I was introduced to games like Hero Quest and Dragon Strike. Both were owned by my neighbor, but I loved playing, and still have fond memories of playing them to this day. I was also a huge fan of JRPG's, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics & Final Fantasy 6 being my all time favorites.

In high school, I was introduced to D&D & many similar RPG systems, and while I still play those games to this day, a lot of people in my current group have families like myself, so it became that much harder to keep a proper campaign running. So, I turned to tabletop games a few years ago. I've been building a steady collection, and have played a lot of great games -Twilight Imperium, and Lords of Waterdeep being the group favorites. I've also personally loved Dungeon Command and X-Wing, both being fantastic miniature games.

Last year, I strolled into my local shop, and saw the box for Super Dungeon Explore. It immediately drew me in. The art was reminiscent of those old JRPG's I loved. I took a look at the back, and the game looked like something I could really dive into. But the price tag was a hefty one. I left it for the time being. Aside from Twilight Imperium & Zombicide, I hadn't shelled out that much money for a game, and I didn't want to impulse buy something just because it looked cool. So I checked some reviews, and waited.

Then the Forgotten King KS happened.

There are things I like & dislike about KS, but one of the big things is the value of what you're getting for what you pay. I figured, if I'm going to get into SDE, this was going to be the time to do it. So I jumped in at the $100 pledge, and figured I'd just get the base set & stretch goals. Then, before the KS ended, my friend (who lives a few hours away) got SDE for himself. We had a game night (usually do every month or 2) and we played. I immediately regretted waiting so long to pick up this game. It was so fun! For me, it feels almost exactly like playing Final Fantasy Tactics on the tabletop. Easy sell. So I went home & upped my pledge to include a bunch of the add ons.

A couple weeks ago, I finally picked up the base game for myself. My wife and I played a 3-hero game ourselves, and then we played a 5-hero game with our gaming group. It was a hit both times. Needless to say, it has quickly become one of my favorites, and I've got some new SDE stuff coming in the mail as I type. Looking forward to playing many more games, and even start painting miniatures! I'm even planning on learning how to build 3D terrain, and creating some of the battlefields from FFT. :)

May 23rd, 2014, 4:15 pm
Minion

Just like thetang and goblin king I grew up on Hero Quest, and like KaiserCrab I loved the Shining Force series (note my Shining Force 3 avatar), especially Shining Force 2 :D
I'm kind of an anime geek too!

So one day, while I was on leave in San Diego I happened across it in a gaming store. I didn't pick it up though (my soon-to-be wife talked me out of it since I'd just bought a 3DS). 1 year later I'm still thinking of the game, and pining over it quite a bit so I end up ordering it, both main expansions and all the individual minis. Now I can't get enough of it :D

May 23rd, 2014, 11:28 pm
Ninja Corps

I forget where I first saw SDE, but I first started paying attention to it the spring after the KS for Relic Knights. Spent a day watching the watch it played videos for it on youtube, fell in love with it's gauntletesque feel, and convinced my fiancee to let me get it the following paycheck. Then the worst day of my life happened, and well the day after that I bought SDE and it, a few other miniature and board games, as well as my friends and family have helped me since.

May 24th, 2014, 12:03 am
Mini-Boss

I was looking for the Confrontation Hydra at the cmon-site when I noticed the link for games. Clicked, read on and decided to order SDE with the hydra. Here I am, a few moths/years later, owning SDE, CoR and VDM. Nearly everything is painted.
Can't wait for FK :D

May 24th, 2014, 5:42 pm
Mini-Boss

Saw it in a shop.
I took a chance and bought it.
Best gamble ever!

May 24th, 2014, 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next