View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2017, 3:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 The Expanded Sodaverse 
Mini-Boss

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the "Tommyverse." Basically, there was a show called "St. Elsewhere" that ended with a reveal that the whole thing had been imagined by an autistic child.

That'd been the end of it, except that the show had crossovers with other television shows, which had crossovers with other shows, until we've got everything from Red Dwarf to Law and Order all happening in the kid's head.

I was wondering if we've got something similar going on in our tabletop games right now.

Let's start with the Relic Knights/SDE crossover- it clearly lets us know that SDE is an MMO in the Last Galaxy. Then the Twilight Knight enters, and it tells us that deep in the Nether Rift is the world of Kingdom Death.

Sedition Wars is also part of the MMO setting, since Kara Black in in both.

Then the Twilight Knight has been spotted in Myth, Helldorado and Wrath of Kings, placing all of those into the Relicverse as well (in the videogame, no less).

Outside of the MMO setting, Relic Knights used Penny Arcade characters who also like to play Dreadball, and one of whom made his way into Zombicide.

Troy, a Bruce Campbell lookalike is featured in both Zombicide and Zombicide Black Plague.

Hitch, Prince Aaron, Bob the Conjurer, and others (I'm sure) are in both Black Plague and Arcadia Quest.

Black Plague crosses over with Massive Darkness and B Sieged, and even pulls in characters from Skullkickers.

Candy and Cola have been seen in many settings- Rail Raiders, Ninja All Stars, Dragon Tides, Masmorra... and many others that I can't remember. She's clearly a rift traveler, who has made a number of characters for the MMO.

What games am I still missing that get pulled in via crossovers. I know there are more.

August 26th, 2016, 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Please stay where you are, there will be gentlemen dispatched shortly with a new coat for you to try on. There is no conspiracy, please go about your business...

Don't forget that the Dragon Tides game also tied into Indines, Krosmaster Arena, the Crow, the Journey: Wrath of Demons. Indines can further be linked to Red Horizon, which can then be (tangentially) linked to Dark Stalkers, Streetfighter, King of Fighters and Megaman.

August 29th, 2016, 2:39 pm
Mini-Boss

And as of today, the Sodavers has just subsumed an aspect of my childhood.

SUPER DUNGEON MUTANT CHRONICLES CROSSOVER!

What a glorious age we live in.

September 19th, 2016, 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Quote:
Further, the chibi heroes and monsters have been given complete rules for playing them in Ninja Division’s Super Dungeon Explore.

Cool. But weird, because didn't they say rail raiders wouldn't be used in SDE because they didn't fit thematically? These guys seem even more out of place in SDE than the rail raiders would have been.

September 19th, 2016, 11:37 pm
Mini-Boss

Except that these guys are all from an actual 16 bit videogame from the '90s.

Not just an homage, they got the real deal.

Also... they were wrong about rail raiders. It is ok if they don't stick to it when they're wrong.

September 20th, 2016, 5:45 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Son Of Menoth wrote:
Don't forget that the Dragon Tides game also tied into Indines, Krosmaster Arena, the Crow, the Journey: Wrath of Demons. Indines can further be linked to Red Horizon, which can then be (tangentially) linked to Dark Stalkers, Streetfighter, King of Fighters and Megaman.

Wait a second- that crossover comic that brings in Capcom is going to bring in a LOT of things:

My first thought was Marvel vs. Capcom- bringing in the X-Men and Avengers is a big deal. From there, you can bring in the DC universe (since they cross over once in a while).

But an even bigger deal- Megaman appears in Super Smash Brothers- which brings in a crazy lot of stuff- Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Xenosaga, Final Fantasy VII's Cloud and Wii Fit

FFVII brings in Kingdom Hearts- which means that Mickey Mouse is in the Super Dungeon Explore MMO!

Who Framed Roger Rabbit brings in a whole mess of things from there.

And if Kingdom Hearts 3 ever happens, it will bring in Star Wars as well.

September 29th, 2016, 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

BTW, if you want these Crossovers better back that Kickstarter! These chibis are NOT going to be available from SPM/ND. (SPM_John told me, so that's pretty much official)

September 29th, 2016, 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Götz Kirchhauser wrote:
BTW, if you want these Crossovers better back that Kickstarter! These chibis are NOT going to be available from SPM/ND. (SPM_John told me, so that's pretty much official)

Yeah when they announced it on facebook they said the minis would be KS exclusive

September 29th, 2016, 10:48 pm
Ninja Corps

I wonder if Way of the Fighter will increase the Sodaverse's reach? I wonder if we will see any "Special Edition" Characters borrowed from other games...

October 11th, 2016, 2:09 pm
Denizen

Son Of Menoth wrote:
I wonder if Way of the Fighter will increase the Sodaverse's reach? I wonder if we will see any "Special Edition" Characters borrowed from other games...

I would be surprised if it didn't, given the semi-announced takoashi university SDE cross-over that is coming. Which will secure takoashi in the sodaverse (more than just the candy and marie-claude crossovers, who go everywhere)

October 11th, 2016, 10:33 pm
Denizen

odinsgrandson wrote:
What games am I still missing that get pulled in via crossovers. I know there are more.

Takoashi university is getting SDE crossovers.
Also Ninja All Stars crosses over (not just because of candy) or do we not count those because they are generic ninjas?

Also does Link count and bring the Zelda games in? Given he is in relic knights (pretty much) as Hero of Time, but also SDE as Deeproot Scout. Or are we sticking to proper 100% non-skirting copyright cross-overs?

October 11th, 2016, 10:37 pm
Mini-Boss

- No, Link doesn't get in via the lookalike character. Look-a-likes with different names don't really imply continuity (the same goes for all of the look-a-likes from Zombicide- although they do bring in other iterations with the same name- like how the Goblin King lookalike "Hitch" appears in both Arcadia Quest and in Zombicide).

Link is in, however, because NAS Kunoichi Candy is in Dragon Tide which has Cherri Seneca of Indines, which has has Vincent Grey of Red Horizon which did a comic crossover with Dark Stalkers- whose characters are in Marvel vs Capcom- which shares characters with Super Smash Bros. which features Link and Zelda of the Legend of Zelda.

-MCB and Candy were enough to already bring in Takoashi University, but more NJ chibis are always welcome.

- I was looking into it, and that tie to Dragon Tide brings in a crazy lot of things- largely via Indines. There's Vincent Grey of Red Horizon, then also Legacy of Sentinels of the Multiverse and Ramos of Malifaux. Maybe I should consider making Malifaux and Sentinels chibis. They're clearly part of the MMO setting.

Dragon Tide also brings in Bruce Lee and Brandon Lee- and that does bring in the Dragon: Life of Bruce Lee film and any documentaries or films where they play themselves. I guess this isn't stranger than how MCB exists in real life as well (a darkspace something is going on).

@Gotz- I'm very in on the Siege of the Citadel Kickstarter- I'm getting enough chibis to replace all of the SotC minis with their super cute counterparts. I'd advise anyone who doesn't want to get into SotC for chibis just use the rules with Rail Raiders stuff.

October 13th, 2016, 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

I think the cosplay minis should count. They are 'officially' Darkspace variants, meaning they came to the main RK universe when their part of the mutli-verse collapsed, that is why they have different faction from the prime characters. So, that would bring in Gurren Lagan, Cowboy Bebop, Street Fighter, Metal Gear, Sailor Moon and Darkstalkers (again).

I do not think that Smash Brothers should count however, since it is ultimately [spoiler] a kid playing with toys. [\spoiler]

We need to find a way to make a living 'thought web' on the internet so we can track everything. Or we could always do the old standby of a cork board, pictures and red yarn...

October 14th, 2016, 2:56 pm
Minion

Son Of Menoth wrote:
I think the cosplay minis should count. They are 'officially' Darkspace variants, meaning they came to the main RK universe when their part of the mutli-verse collapsed, that is why they have different faction from the prime characters. So, that would bring in Gurren Lagan, Cowboy Bebop, Street Fighter, Metal Gear, Sailor Moon and Darkstalkers (again).

I do not think that Smash Brothers should count however, since it is ultimately [spoiler] a kid playing with toys. [\spoiler]

We need to find a way to make a living 'thought web' on the internet so we can track everything. Or we could always do the old standby of a cork board, pictures and red yarn...

You forgot to add Kill la Kill due to the new Hasumi.

October 14th, 2016, 8:05 pm
Mini-Boss

But the fact that they're cosplaying implies the existence of Bebop, Sailor Moon, Kill la Kill etc. as manga/anime or something else people dress up as.

Sure, they're from other dimensions, but Fiametta is not Sailor Saturn- she's a girl who own a Sailor Saturn costume.

I mean, the fact that this guy exists:

Does not imply that we live in the Super Smash Brothers setting.

It is more like if a character talks about a James Bond film- it means that they live in a setting where James Bond is a fictional character (Bond himself will never see a James Bond film- it is the most fundamental difference between his setting and our world). I think it is the same with cosplay characters, even though they are from some darkspace realms where Sailor Moon survives several apocalypses.

As for the Smash Brothers stuff- that one makes me wonder. The WII U one is a kid playing with toys- how clear is that in the end? Is it just that the big boss fight is two giant hands? And is it consistent with the endings of the other Smash Brothers games?

And might it be true of all of the implied continuities involved? Since they do get to go to a lot of relevant settings- maybe they're all in his head (rather like the Tommyverse).

November 2nd, 2016, 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

And now we have Way of the Fighter crossovers!

Quote:
When a fighter needs a break, they play a game of Super Dungeon Explore! This pack includes four fighters dressed as their avatars for Super Dungeon.

So- Way of the Fighter happens in The Last Galaxy (along with Relic Knights) where SDE is a game that the fighters sometimes play. It might be in a darkspace dimension that WotF happens (like zombicide).

Also of note- Pathfinder and Hyper Light Drifter have been brought into the Sodaverse via Kingdom Death crossovers. Plus there's some solidification with Zombicide (Amy).

March 24th, 2017, 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Shrine ninjas appear in SDE, so I guess NAS is another game like SDE in the expanded universe?

March 29th, 2017, 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]