View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2017, 8:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 CMoN Massive Darkness Kickstarter launched & funded! 
Consul

CMoN is launching yet another Kickstarter

Quote:
CoolMiniOrNot and Guillotine Games are partnering up again to bring you the ultimate dungeon crawl board game experience with Massive Darkness! Massive Darkness brings the classic fantasy RPG experience to modern board gaming, with an action-packed campaign chock full of gorgeous miniatures and a streamlined system that keeps the focus on the heroes’ actions, with no need for a game master to control the enemies.

Using the popular Zombicide system as a starting point, Massive Darkness adds all the richness of a dungeon crawl RPG. Pick your hero, choose a class, decide on what skills to spend your XP, get loot by searching the dungeon or killing special enemies that can use the equipment against you! Face a multitude of different enemy types, coming in all shapes and sizes, whose behavior is resolved automatically. Or you can try to sneak around enemies by taking advantage of dark areas of the map.

Look for the Kickstarter campaign for Massive Darkness, coming in a few months with plenty of surprises for us to uncover!

It won't be chibi cute. Nor will it be compatible with any of my SDE stuff. But it will be very playable, as the 5th iteration of the progressively refined Zombicide game engine and mechanics. And it will likely ship "on time". I'm curious.

And then I kind of wonder why SPM can't simply stick with the same concept of refining the SDE game engine, why they have to keep shaking things up so drastically every time. The successful game franchises do really well selling lots of re-themed reskins. Look at Monopoly & Risk & Munchkin for strong examples of this.
____

6/7 - MD KS launched noon Pacific.

Last edited by GrauGeist on June 7th, 2016, 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

April 6th, 2016, 1:44 am
Denizen

They are going to need some better a.i than how the zombies work in zombicide, that game is beyond boring

April 6th, 2016, 1:51 am
Bottle Cap

Lizardman has problem with any other game than SDE it seems :D

Though to the point, I'm highly interested in this simply 'cause the "feeling" at least will be really good when art, mechanics etc. are put together. But as Zombicide fan I hope they make some drastic innovations/polishing etc. as I've played it way too much (I'm one of the few people who actually likes the rules and is not bothered by shooting priority etc.)

More competition is better, that way companies will have pressure to improve their game and not just rest and continue doing the same over and over.

April 6th, 2016, 7:25 am
Consul

I kind of think the point is to NOT make drastic "innovation" to the mechanics - that's the entire point of leveraging Zombicide as the starting point. Also, that SDE's biggest problem is SPM imposing drastic innovation with each rules rewrite. :D

I do expect further polish with MD over BP, akin to how BP built off S3:RM. S3:RM is well-polished with unpredictable Skinners & Crawlers, tough A-bomb, a varied maps, and lots of Survivors (with the Zombivor and Experienced options). By contrast, S1 was a bit too spare, and S2 overreached in complexity and difficulty to the point that I didn't really enjoy it. I only keep the S3:RM box and Zombivor alts.

With the D&D boardgames, SDE, M&M, AQ, Descent, Myth, now Massive Darkness - I think we're in something of a golden age of dungeon crawler boardgames.

April 6th, 2016, 7:57 am
Bottle Cap

Well ok, I worded myself badly there :D, I just hope they polish it a bit, for my gaming experience I actually stopped playing Zombicide after S2 stuff as after playing after it felt chore. My question is always kinda "why would I want to play this when I can play Imperial Assault" and therefore the bar has been set very very high.

And quick sum up about about the dungeon crawlers:

-D&D too simple games for my tastes
-Descent seems good, played only few times, would need "Imperial Assault" rules revision and it would be 9/10
-Haven't tried Myth but I heard it got bashed pretty hard
-Arcadia Quest, wouldn't count this as dungeon crawler

Over all the ammount is actually quite small compared to other big gaming genres, I'm still waiting for dungeon crawler which would be just as crisp and well designed as Eclipse - most of the dungeon crawlers just feel unpolished and not enough fine tuned :(

April 6th, 2016, 8:49 am
Consul

It's all good. I dumped S2 for similar reasons.

I don't know that there will be a "perfect" crawler, but the interest and new releases suggest we should get better designs to choose from. Hopefully.

April 6th, 2016, 9:19 am
Mini-Boss

If all efforts to make SDE better fails, at least I have pretty miniatures to use in Heroquest, RPG games or even in a doll house... But I still have faith for great news about improvements.

@Nekrah and @GrauGeist Do a favor to yourself and do like me: use the "foe" list to toss certain people with ugly manners on it. You never have the unpleasantness to read a word of them even again.

Aella13 Painting Guide

April 6th, 2016, 2:38 pm
Minion

Lizardman wrote:
They are going to need some better a.i than how the zombies work in zombicide, that game is beyond boring

That might be your opinion, but it most certainly isn't mine. Zombicide is the most entertaining and fun game I have ever played. Just because you say it is "beyond boring" does not mean it is. That's just your opinion and I'm expressing a totally different opinion. Live and let live, huh?

April 6th, 2016, 3:28 pm
Bottle Cap

Does this topic really belong in the SDE General Discussion?

April 6th, 2016, 3:30 pm
Denizen

I have played normal Zombicide a handful of times and enjoyed it every single time.

I backed Black Plague and really love that so far. So I would have to agree with Vampifan, to me the AI isn't boring at all. One thing I can say about Black Plague is that it can look like things are fine and all of a sudden things can turn around and go bad in a hurry. I'm interested to see Massive Darkness but I'm not sure if I am going to back it or not.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a Black Plague season 2? Or is Massive Darkness it?

April 6th, 2016, 3:33 pm
Minion

I was wondering the same thing myself, AzureKnight. Seeing as Black Plague is fantasy based, I wonder if the figures will be compatible with the MD rules? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

April 6th, 2016, 3:59 pm
Minion

Jump_Monkey wrote:

Well seeing as GrauGeist asked the perfectly reasonable question, "I kind of wonder why SPM can't simply stick with the same concept of refining the SDE game engine, why they have to keep shaking things up so drastically every time. The successful game franchises do really well selling lots of re-themed reskins. Look at Monopoly & Risk & Munchkin for strong examples of this." I'd say it does have a place here.

April 6th, 2016, 4:01 pm
Bottle Cap

I take your point, but I think it's a tenuous one.

April 6th, 2016, 4:47 pm
Consul

Jump_Monkey wrote:

As I understand the initial brief, MD looks to be a direct competitor to SDE.

Where CMoN's AQ was a stylistic knock-off of SDE's chibi figures, MD is of the same dungeon-crawling genre.

We should expect potential Retail Customers (and MD KS Backers) to consider both games as essentially similar when looking to purchase a dungeon crawler.

April 6th, 2016, 5:46 pm
Consul

Vampifan wrote:
Seeing as Black Plague is fantasy based, I wonder if the figures will be compatible with the MD rules? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I hope and expect that they will be compatible. I am assuming that GG was working on BP S2, and that ultimately became MD. Fantasy zombies are a limited theme, whereas expanding the enemy list to general fantasy gives GG more to work with.

April 6th, 2016, 5:55 pm
Moderator Ninja

GrauGeist wrote:
The successful game franchises do really well selling lots of re-themed reskins. Look at Monopoly & Risk & Munchkin for strong examples of this.

SDE is a game world. They threw their hat in to the "We want to finish this game world first" arena instead of the "we want to port this game over to another world to reskin it and hope people are dumb enough to buy it" arena.

April 7th, 2016, 11:03 am
Ninja Corps

The big difference between the SDE and Zombicide line is a matter of depth. Now to be clear, I enjoyed Zombicide, but I feel that it is a pretty shallow concept.

Zombies don't need a deep story to make any sense or be fun. Zombies? Check. Post-Apocalyptic Scenarios? Check. Hard-bitten [lol] Survivors? Check. Other than a bolognaium-based explanation of why there are zombies, there really is not a whole lot they can add to the story. With the exception of Black Plague, it is set in the real world and has the same constraints. As said, Black Plague is a re-skin into the fantasy genre.

In SDE, there is a new world as far as we are concerned, one that is not limited to any real place or time. Right now, there are 7+ areas on the Crystalia map that can provide new experiences, monster and heroes. Granted, we know a little bit about most of these places, but there is limitless potential in these unused areas. The game itself, like Zombicide, is tweaked with each new major release, but instead of going to a mall or to a prison, we go to Clocker's Cove or the Mystic Mountains. We know what to expect from a mall or a prison, but not Crystalia.

Both approaches are fine to designing a game, but the story-styles of the two games are not really comparable. To me the difference is like comparing 6-pack and decent whiskey. They both have their place, and some will prefer one over the other.

Massive Darkness seems like they are going to replace the Heart Rate track with an XP Track, swap out some graphics and put the whole thing on a board. It sounds it will be a retread like Monopoly to [insert franchise] Monopoly. It also says that it will be "coming in a few months" without actually saying anything real about the game. It is a mock-up of a box and 12 pieces of art, not a game at this point. Just like every other time SPM KS or announces a project, CMoN has to throw one up as well...

April 7th, 2016, 2:38 pm
Ninja Corps

Jestor wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:
The successful game franchises do really well selling lots of re-themed reskins. Look at Monopoly & Risk & Munchkin for strong examples of this.

SDE is a game world. They threw their hat in to the "We want to finish this game world first" arena instead of the "we want to port this game over to another world to reskin it and hope people are dumb enough to buy it" arena.

For what it's worth, I own almost everything for SDE, and exactly zero Monopoly sets. Soda Pop's hat is in the right ring, as far as I'm concerned.

April 7th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Consul

CMoN finally shares more info about what Massive Darkness will look like:
http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/into- ... -darkness/

This looks very promising, and I'm still interested.

May 7th, 2016, 11:59 pm
Bottle Cap

I don't know , Why they develop ZBP2 , Massive darkness is base on ZBP system to develop. :roll:

May 8th, 2016, 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next