View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 17th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Neon Genesis Evangelion Questions 
Bottle Cap

Hello,

Neon Genesis Evangelion has been on my watch list for a while now, and I'd like to buy a DVD set that has as many episodes as possible and has good production values. I was hoping someone could recommend a set for me.

Also, is the franchise like Gundam where there's a bunch of spin offs, sequels, etc? I'm not sure where to start- I presume its not an encapsulated series.

Thanks!

August 7th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Consul

For the completist:
- the original OAVs (e.g. 11-hr perfect / platinum collection)
- Death & Rebirth + End of Evangelion
- the second generation movies (1.11, 2.22 & 3.33).

Technically, it is all canon...

It's similar to Gundam, but not as much total stuff.

August 7th, 2014, 6:22 pm
Ninja Corps

Dr Mathias wrote:
Hello,

Neon Genesis Evangelion has been on my watch list for a while now, and I'd like to buy a DVD set that has as many episodes as possible and has good production values. I was hoping someone could recommend a set for me.

Also, is the franchise like Gundam where there's a bunch of spin offs, sequels, etc? I'm not sure where to start- I presume its not an encapsulated series.

Thanks!

It's not like Gundam in that respect. It's basically got one canonical series. Then they Re-did it via a series of movies so they could wedge in a new character and cover the fetishes they didn't previously. So it really only has two versions.

August 7th, 2014, 6:36 pm
Ninja Corps

Usagi wrote:
Dr Mathias wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!

It's not like Gundam in that respect. It's basically got one canonical series. Then they Re-did it via a series of movies so they could wedge in a new character and cover the fetishes they didn't previously. So it really only has two versions.

I've heard allegations that the new series is moderately less depressing, although equally as confusing.

August 7th, 2014, 8:47 pm
Bottle Cap

Thanks all, I'm a completist type so I'll start with Grau's list :)

August 8th, 2014, 1:59 pm
Minion

Dr Mathias wrote:

Don't do it, its a trick. Its like Mass Effect. You start and it will be really fun, and you'll love it right up until the end. Then you will ask yourself "What was the point to watching this?" It is one of those stories that takes a big fat giant dump on your soul at the end. Everything before the last episode is great.

It is the kind of ending that ruins everything that comes before it, like the end of Mass Effect 3

August 8th, 2014, 2:48 pm
Ninja Corps

Digclaw wrote:
Dr Mathias wrote:

Don't do it, its a trick. Its like Mass Effect. You start and it will be really fun, and you'll love it right up until the end. Then you will ask yourself "What was the point to watching this?" It is one of those stories that takes a big fat giant dump on your soul at the end. Everything before the last episode is great.

It is the kind of ending that ruins everything that comes before it, like the end of Mass Effect 3

I don't know that that's true. I'm not exactly a huge fan of the series...but mostly because it's most hardcore, rabid fan base bugs me over the show it's self. The show it's self is of a perfectly passable quality, and the ending isn't out of place with the show. I don't want to talk in specifics, because of spoilers. And I'm not talking about the newer movies (of which I have only seen sparse bits). But the ending is in line with the tonal shift of the series, and also in line with it's mythos. This also refers to the remade last episodes...I think (it's a confusing mess as to what is actually what series wise at that point). The aired end episodes (i think that's what I'm thinking of) were, indeed, a hot mess. It was mostly crayon scribbles, no budget and pretension put in a blender. But the actual ending episodes were considerably better.

August 8th, 2014, 5:26 pm
Consul

Dr Mathias wrote:

Cool. Be sure to watch it all in order with End of Evangelion immediately after the episodes.

It will make more sense, especially if you treat the movies as part of the ending (which they are).

Death / Rebirth is kind of a compilation / summary thing, so you could probably omit that.

Take a break before watching 1.11, 2.22 & 3.33, tho.

August 8th, 2014, 6:34 pm
Minion

Usagi wrote:
The aired end episodes (i think that's what I'm thinking of) were, indeed, a hot mess. It was mostly crayon scribbles, no budget and pretension put in a blender. But the actual ending episodes were considerably better.

I think the phrase you are looking for is "Giant Mind ****"

Eva starts out as this great Kaiju vs. Super Robots series with high school harem added for flavor.
16-17 years ago when i first watched it, I loved it, until the last episode. They gave you this really fun yet really emotional series about a whiny kid with daddy issues fighting giant monsters and dealing with his feelings toward multiple girls, and then ended it with existential BS. Its a giant FU to the people watching the series.

Now saying that, watching the remake movies after watching the series is hilarious me and my buddy MST3Ked 1.1 when it came out. We couldn't stop laughing. I came up with a very inappropriate term for the fluid and my buddy just ran with it. I wish we would have recorded that. It was classic

August 9th, 2014, 4:43 am
Ninja Corps

If the ending of the series bothered you, here's some spoilery, not-work-safe catharsis from Spike Spencer.

August 10th, 2014, 12:34 am
Minion

Simultaneously one of my favorite and most disappointing anime.

Pre-ordered 3.33. :P

August 27th, 2014, 3:35 am
Ninja Corps

Well, when I was a teenager I had NGE on VHS (a high five for everymon who still knows what that is) and it was one of my favorite anime-shows. The ending was strange and I know noone who was truly happy with it, even with End of Evangelion.

The new version (part 1-3) is totally different. It made some things better, others worse.

If you ask somepony who is arround long enough to remember speed-racer on TV: I love the original.
If you never watched that anime before, do yourself a favor: watch The first new movie, then (if you like it) watch the original show.

March 13th, 2015, 10:34 am
Minion

victorymon wrote:
Well, when I was a teenager I had NGE on VHS (a high five for everymon who still knows what that is)

Double high-five if you still have a vhs player that works, or remember Betamax...

March 13th, 2015, 5:35 pm
Ninja Corps

I have a vhs player and video2000. No betamax... Maybe thats typical for Germany?

March 13th, 2015, 5:39 pm
Ninja Corps

Video 2000 was a European system, so probably no one on the other side of the pond remembers it. Betamax was the Sony System and a professional version of that was the last analoge video system used by TV iirc.

March 14th, 2015, 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Digclaw wrote:
Usagi wrote:
The aired end episodes (i think that's what I'm thinking of) were, indeed, a hot mess. It was mostly crayon scribbles, no budget and pretension put in a blender. But the actual ending episodes were considerably better.

I think the phrase you are looking for is "Giant Mind ****"

Eva starts out as this great Kaiju vs. Super Robots series with high school harem added for flavor.
16-17 years ago when i first watched it, I loved it, until the last episode. They gave you this really fun yet really emotional series about a whiny kid with daddy issues fighting giant monsters and dealing with his feelings toward multiple girls, and then ended it with existential BS. Its a giant FU to the people watching the series.

Now saying that, watching the remake movies after watching the series is hilarious me and my buddy MST3Ked 1.1 when it came out. We couldn't stop laughing. I came up with a very inappropriate term for the fluid and my buddy just ran with it. I wish we would have recorded that. It was classic

I watched EVA recently and I would say there's a heavy tonal shift about halfway into the series. There are plenty of moments before the ending that get very heavy and reinforce the themes of the story. Even in the very first episodes you can see there's a grave struggle going on. (Shinji watching the EVA pilot before him getting wheeled away on a stretcher, the revelation that half of Tokyo is now a blasted crater) End of Evangelion is absolutely the best way to end the series, the actual show's ending was definitely messy and strung together on what looks like zero budget.

I highly recommend it; the core of the story is that the main and extended cast struggle to find a connection with those around them. It made such a splash when it first aired because it threw away a lot of the anime tropes you're describing for something much darker and possibly more 'realistic' (the invasion of giant monsters is highly destructive and leaves irrevocable havok, organizations can become corrupt, people can be manipulated, and putting teenagers into ultra-high-pressure combat situations, housed in giant robots or not, is more likely to scar them than build them up).

I'm not a rabid EVA fan and the series does have its flaws. It can be vague to a fault at times, and I certainly needed to dip into the Evangelion Wiki after it was all over to clear up a few points. But, it also broke new ground and is really fascinating to watch to this day if you give it the level of attention it asks for. If you're on the fence, I'd say go for it!

March 18th, 2015, 3:00 am
Minion

If you're going to watch NGE, you have to understand one thing: Evangelion is what happens when someone decides that "making a harem Kaiju Mecha anime" is a logical alternative to seeking professional help dealing with clinical depression.

November 7th, 2015, 9:38 pm
Minion

I for one much prefer RahXephon than NGE

You should look into it as well.

December 10th, 2015, 10:06 pm
Ninja Corps

A bit off topic, but I don't think anyone will complain, since this isn't a hot topic anyways. ;P

But, a good mecha anime that's really steeped in psychology and uses the mecha background more as a framing device is Bokurano. If you are familiar with Narutaru (I think it's called Shadowstar in English?) it has the same creator.

December 11th, 2015, 5:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]