View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 10th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Starcadia Quest- change in art style 
Dungeon Boss

CMON recently finished their Kickstarter for Starcadia Quest- the science fiction sequel to Arcadia Quest. And here are some thoughts:

- Arcadia Quest art style has always struck me as caricatures rather than chibi (although I've heard a few people floundering to find a term call them "Euro-Chibi." There's a word for this in real life). While both styles can use superdeformed proportions, caricatures emphasize facial features to make them larger and goofy, while Chibis do the opposite.

Oddly enough, I think that Starcadia Quest offers a big change in direction for their art style. Nearly every one of their SQ sculpts fits quite nicely with chibis- and there are only a couple of their goofy caricatures left in the range. There are even a few that look as if they could have been designed by Akira Toriyama (no direct references, but a few of them have that Chrono Trigger/Dragonball style).

A few of their minis even look like they have Gundam and Voltron inspirations.

I'm still not convinced that they're huge anime fans like the Sodapop guys are, but I think it is a very positive move for the AQ art style.

September 21st, 2018, 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I don't know if a topic on CMON/SQ art style/direction is relevant in the SPM forums.

I did find the SQ more palatable, but still not in line /w what SPM offers.

September 21st, 2018, 9:35 pm
Dungeon Boss

I could see that.

I figured it made sense here because a lot of people play the lines together (as well as Impact! and Midknight Heroes stuff). There are even a lot of homebrew crossover cards to be found.

I can see if you don't think the style lines up with SDE, but I think it is a far cry closer than it was before. I'm honestly wondering if they'll look right in line with my Rail Raiders.

November 1st, 2018, 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]