View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 16th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Return of the Dragon 
Mini-Boss

Wanted to know if everyone was aware of this Kickstarter. Especially since Candy is now part of it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682539325/return-of-the-dragon/posts

No word on her having Relic Knights rules (like she did with Kingdom Death). At least so far as I could read.

November 10th, 2014, 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3304

Its the thread right under this one ;p hahahaha

November 11th, 2014, 2:57 am
Consul

I'm aware of it, but there is NO way I'm backing it.

I was apprehensive during the Dragon Tides campaign, but then they posted this huge update explaining how their previous KS is a total mess:

Quote:
OUR CANDID STORY

We were in over our heads. Not by the amount of projects, but because of our inexperience overall. To be honest, we entered the Battle Royale campaign ready to produce a game, a small startup flagship game for our new company. What evolved, was an entire Fairytale Games Universe with so many moving parts that we had yet to fully understand. I was overconfident being fueled by excitement that I didn’t begin to comprehend just how much work would go into every facet of this project. And that was just one of the problems.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/68 ... ts/1021688

While I appreciate someone finally stepping up and taking responsibility, they are far from completing execution and delivery on the KS they launched over a year ago.

It would be foolhardy for me to back these guys when it appears they have every chance of going under due to lack of management experience.

November 11th, 2014, 9:12 pm
Moderator Ninja

GrauGeist wrote:

I was apprehensive during the Dragon Tides campaign, but then they posted this huge update explaining how their previous KS is a total mess:

Quote:
OUR CANDID STORY

We were in over our heads. Not by the amount of projects, but because of our inexperience overall. To be honest, we entered the Battle Royale campaign ready to produce a game, a small startup flagship game for our new company. What evolved, was an entire Fairytale Games Universe with so many moving parts that we had yet to fully understand. I was overconfident being fueled by excitement that I didn’t begin to comprehend just how much work would go into every facet of this project. And that was just one of the problems.

While I appreciate someone finally stepping up and taking responsibility, they are far from completing execution and delivery on the KS they launched over a year ago.

It would be foolhardy for me to back these guys when it appears they have every chance of going under due to lack of management experience.

In fairness, they are only a month and a half late on it so far (shipping was due Sept 14) but it looks like they are currently late on two projects. One project came to the front after the first project funded and they realized they didn't have enough money. Now another project comes up, do they have enough money? Man, I would be weary at this point until they actually produce something. Especially since they have been supposedly raffling off production models. That's not how production works. If one is made they all are :)

November 12th, 2014, 10:09 am
Consul

Jestor wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:

In fairness, they are only a month and a half late on it so far (shipping was due Sept 14) but it looks like they are currently late on two projects.

One project came to the front after the first project funded and they realized they didn't have enough money. Now another project comes up, do they have enough money? Man, I would be weary at this point until they actually produce something.

Especially since they have been supposedly raffling off production models. That's not how production works. If one is made they all are :)

You are correct that they are running very late on both projects:
1. The Battle Royale - promised Feb. 2014, estimated delivery May/June 2015. They will be at least 16 months late, and could go even later...

2. The Miniatures Campaign - promised Sep. 2014, estimated delivery May/June 2015. They are estimating to be at least 9 months late, and I would not be surprised if they also ended up Relic Knights late*.

Estimates as provided by the creator.

I think these guys are very much at risk for going bankrupt. I am amazed that SPM and Marrow are supporting their latest (relaunched) game.

It is entirely possible that they have production of some of the early models, but not all of them, waiting for the last pieces to ship a single wave... Like RK, Robotech, Kingdom Death, etc. Mono-wave shipping looks more and more to be a terrible idea, as any problem holds up the entire shipment. It is possible that they have some production models in hand, and can raffle them off, but are waiting on others.

Regardless, it's a real mess, the very definition of "caveat emptor". The lateness isn't what bothers me per se. The lack of management control is what worries me. It's not like these guys are an established company with defined process of how to run a business. And even then, look at Ogre... Steve Jackson got carried away with Stretch Goals, and dug his company into a hole that will take years to make good on all of the promises...

*: I typically use "Ogre late" to shorthand "over a year overdue", but RK is more familiar here. ;)

November 12th, 2014, 5:14 pm
Ninja Corps

When I decided to go from collecting all the different Candy models to only collecting non-crossover Candies, situations like this were exactly what I was planning to avoid. I ain't sinking money into a company I can't rely on making a game I'm not particularly interested in just for Candy, even if I can just go in at the $1 level and get the model for $15, because at this point there's no evidence to suggest that these people will fulfill their promises.
Now, Soda Pop, them I can trust to give me what I pledge for. Not necessarily when they first think they will, due to a combination of over-enthusiasm and the (now removed) CMoN factor, but they'll get it to me.
Plus I was checking out the Fairytale Games web site and a boatload of stuff in the game is Kickstarter-exclusive, so nuts to the whole thing on principle.

November 12th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Ninja Corps

I assume, since SPM has moved to a no exclusives policy with their split from CMoN that this crossover Candy will be available later. (Pretty much like the Survivor Candy on Kingdom Death)

November 12th, 2014, 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

Doesn't that assume that the Candy's will sit with SPM? If KD or someone else owns the models, the "no exclusives" may not hold.

November 12th, 2014, 11:01 pm
Ninja Corps

GrauGeist wrote:
Doesn't that assume that the Candy's will sit with SPM? If KD or someone else owns the models, the "no exclusives" may not hold.

For KD, that was not an assumption but a fact. Read this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/po ... sts/782737

November 12th, 2014, 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]