View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dream Pod 9 Heavy Gear Blitz Kickstarter 
Consul

For the scale of the game that HG plays at, each Gear is a single soldier, not a crew of soldiers. Ergo, Gears are infantry - large, powerful infantry; not tanks. When Gears require a crew of 3 or more soldiers, I'll consider them tanklike. A cadre of 4-5 Gears is a fire team of soldiers, not a platoon of tanks.

On the tabletop, Gears are shoehorned onto 1" bases, a size that traditionally corresponds to an infantryman.

We can look at a progression in SF rulesets:
- StarFleet Battles is archaic;
- BattleFleet Gothic is fairly modern;
- Star Wars X-Wing is very modern, hyper-streamlined.

Of these, Star Wars X-Wing is the newest and best-selling, by far. It sells to casual gamers via Target and Barnes & Noble, a vastly larger market than a wargamer-centric game like BFG did, or SFB ever would.

Flames of War is similarly modern, and arguably the most streamlined WW2 game available short of M'44 (M'44 being an excellent board game, not a miniatures wargame). Flames sets an upper bound of how complex Heavy Gear should be if it is to expand and gain player acceptance.

Whether DP9 understands it or not, Gears are infantry, both fluff-wise and on the tabletop. Therefore, rules-wise, Gears should be treated as basic infantry. Based on that, having 6 wounds of 2 types is overkill. Statewise tracking of undamaged / damaged / destroyed akin to the movement states would be the best approach, given that the game already has variable armor stats to cover heavier units. The rest flows accordingly, and the game simplifies to enable such play.

The idea that a MOS mechanic would be successful in the larger marketplace belies the reality of X-Wing being the breakout game, and Flames before that.

Post 2010, we just don't push for heavy mechanics and extraneous rules.

November 15th, 2014, 10:42 pm
Ninja Corps

Simplifying damage on the models that form the core of the game is good? The whole focus of Heavy Gear are the Gears themselves. I wouldn't call them infantry or tanks, they're a wholly different combat unit, developed, fluff-wise, to address the unique needs of combat on Terra Nova.

November 15th, 2014, 11:31 pm
Consul

Absolutely, it is. The more you can simplify, the better the remaining game is. Keep the player focus on the truly important things.

Pretending that a Gear can't be simplified down simply means the designer isn't that good. It is a lot harder to make a simple game than a complex one.

November 16th, 2014, 1:34 am
Ninja Corps

GrauGeist wrote:
Absolutely, it is. The more you can simplify, the better the remaining game is.

Is there a point at which that stops being true, or is Tic-Tac-Toe the ultimate gaming experience? Tic-Tac-Toe being the simplest game I can think of. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I just figure there has to be a cutoff point for rules simplification. If there is, where is it? Is it a matter of opinion?

November 16th, 2014, 2:40 am
Consul

I'm sure there is, but even the most casual reading of any of the HG rulesets shows that they are nowhere near that point.

November 16th, 2014, 3:14 am
Bottle Cap

Don't know if this might change your mind, but the most recent edition of the Beta, with the updated rules on September 24, has been receiving word of a lot of rules being cut by Dave here on the DP9 forum for Beta Development:

http://dp9forum.com/index.php?s=8607097 ... owforum=66

I'll quote a few of the posts Dave has made for the updates:

"The following rules are starting to look like good candidates for complete removal from the Beta Rules:

9.5 We're in trouble: Remove Entirely.
We're in trouble came about as a way for model to use actions to reduce the effect of weapons with a high MOS against them. It really isn't required with the options of spending an action to add 1D6 to a defense roll and re-rolls.

18.2 Hull Down: Remove Entirely
This can be replaced by an effect called "using cover".

Update (Nov 12th)
These Traits are being removed/replaced.
Remove Rugged: Anything (Effect covered by DC and Aux Trait)
Remove Fragile: Anything (Effect covered by DC and Aux Trait)
Remove Flanked:XD6 - Flanking a vehicle now is an standard attack modifier of +2D6. (Gears and Stiders will have a standard flanked modifier of +1D6 to the attacker. This will remove the need for remembering to check for the modifier before attacking.
Replace Spider with Mount (Flanked:0D6 equivalent). (This covers the situation of models that effectively have no front or rear arcs and are not nice blocky models used to represent tanks that are easy to identify the rear arcs of.

These are the only rules that are being reviewed for complete removal/replacement.
They are being removed for being duplication of other effects and to simplify the decision tree."

For Traits:

"Here is an updated traits list. The main goal in this review was to ensure that traits were standardized, shortened, and made as legible as possible.
Please comment with any questions, errata, or mistakes noted.
If a trait is not listed here then it will be unchanged from the current book version.

Note that some traits will appear to have some strange terminology especially when referencing Electronic Warfare actions. I will be previewing the updated EW section, Command/orders section and Updated weapons section alphas this week and later next week.

Once the Kickstarter is complete we will be able to update the Beta Rules Download. This preview section is alpha status until that happens and is incompatible with the current beta rules until the beta rules are completely updated. These rules are for commenting only. If you wish to start a discussion about a particular trait please start a new thread and reference this one in it so as not to clutter this thread unnecessarily."

So there is movement to remove the older RPG stats and move to a more streamlined option.

-Brandon F.

November 16th, 2014, 10:35 am
Consul

The statement that DP9 will further streamline the rules is good. However, if the concept is that the game should only support 8-12 models per side, then maybe those minor tweaks would be enough. Regardless, it further confirms that DP9 is still focused on their existing base, not growing into the 40k / Flames crowd.

November 16th, 2014, 8:57 pm
Ninja Corps

They got me interested, and I'm not part of their existing base. How does intending the game to work at a skirmish level equate to not wanting new players?

Also:

November 16th, 2014, 9:27 pm
Consul

A game that only works at a skirmish level, is limited because you can't scale up, even if you wanted to. Further, this prevents future sales, as there is no reason to ever buy anything after the KS. We've seen this with pretty much every GW skirmish game - players buy a couple BB teams, and sales stop. They buy a Necromunda gang or Mordheim warband, and sales stop. In this KS, the $100-ish provides 3-1/2 "complete" factions, so why buy anything else?.

A game that depends on obscure and failed mechanics, versus market-friendly mechanics, doesn't attract new players. Before you commit that pledge, go play the test beta rules and see what you think.

November 16th, 2014, 9:43 pm
Bottle Cap

By all means, please do.

I have no problems with folks who want to test first.

If you like, I have the Facebook Group Terra Nova DMZ that includes fans who are also going to be regularly playing, painting, and joining in sharing Heavy Gear Universe stuff as much as possible among ourselves and our friends. The DMZ also acts as a place for folks who playtest to get near-instant feedback from other older playtesters, or to share their thoughts and then have questions forwarded on to the Beta development forum or Dave for analysis and notification and answering.

One of the members, who goes by Mastergunz, already shared this wonderful painting post for new painters like myself.

This is a Rattlesnake head placed on a Tactical-era Jager body (he had a lot of spare parts lying around from the days of yore) that he did an homage to the anime that inspired the game, VOTOMs.

November 17th, 2014, 7:40 am
Minion

Bitt_Player wrote:
Also, I kind of like the fluff. Well, mostly I think the United Mercantile Federation's legalized vote-buying is just crazy enough to work. Think about it: Instead of collecting taxes, they sell election vouchers. The more vouchers you trade in when you vote, the more your vote is worth. But fluff liking is mostly subjective, really.

I've been a Heavy Gear player/fan for years, mostly via RPG. The fluff is my favourite part of the setting. Each of the nations has some unique traits, with good reasons for why they got that way.

Frankly, I hope this Kickstarter leads to a Kickstarter for some Jovian Chronicles plastic minis. It's another one of DP9's settings, with equally good background fluff.

November 18th, 2014, 1:44 pm
Bottle Cap

TJL, you aren't wrong. I wouldn't mind if Jovian Chronicles received a reboot, but that - and a few other things besides - needs a lot of work.

However, we are now in the final 36 hours of the Kickstarter, and we are over 850 Backers and have broken through Stretch Goal 15, unlocking the BF2-25, the Earth's stealth Frame.

November 21st, 2014, 3:46 am
Bottle Cap

Pledge Manager will be up sometime in December for those who pledged. We made it to $150,000, which was insane, but 1,000 fans was great.

Now, I just finished my first game in a long time with the Houston gamers, so we are wheeling and dealing and the guys are painting up these models so much better than me it is sick. Still, I will let you have a look for yourselves.

November 27th, 2014, 12:53 pm
Bottle Cap

congrats dude! Great! Well done... ;) 8-)

December 6th, 2014, 4:24 am
Bottle Cap

Harold Anderson wrote:
congrats dude! Great! Well done... ;) 8-)

I should say that that picture is one of my new friends, not mine.

Here is my latest project.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8604/15959887962_2bb3ab98f7_h.jpg

December 10th, 2014, 12:32 am
Bottle Cap

Well, it's been a couple weeks, and if you missed out on the Kickstarter and would still like to get in, you are quite capable of doing so. Simply review what the newest updates have to say:

"First a quick update on the Pledge Manager. Total pledges are now at $149,085 CAD with 931 Backers registered and we have sent out another round of invite reminders to the 93 who still need to register. The Fundafull team have also unlock the Pledge Manager to allow new outside backers to join for our additional funding campaign to reach $185K CAD in total pledges and unlock a few more desired stretch goals not reached during the Kickstarter.

Here is the new direct link to setup an account on the War for Terra Nova Pledge Manager, for new backers who missed the Kickstarter campaign. If you already backed the Kickstarter don't use this link, you need to register using the invite email that was sent out to you previously.

https://www.fundafull.com/projects/drea ... de-backers

-----

So, anyone who is still interested will have some time to get in on things if they so desire. God bless, hope you all had a merry Christmas and praying that the new year is blessed!

-Brandon F.

December 28th, 2014, 6:03 am
Ninja Corps

They've been really open about the production process, showing pictures of the molds, test sprues, and such. Also, pledge manager is still open, so that's a thing.

March 24th, 2016, 5:30 pm
Bottle Cap

thanks for that.

February 27th, 2017, 10:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2