View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2017, 12:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dream Pod 9 Heavy Gear Blitz Kickstarter 
Consul

Dream Pod 9 is kickstarting a new edition of Heavy Gear Blitz with streamlined rules and plastic minis:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/he ... tarter-set

Heavy Gear is inspired/influenced by AT VOTOMS, with smaller mecha in a tactical battle game.

$105 USD / $115 CAD isn't a bad price, especially compared to their current metal minis prices.

As a smaller games company, if you're going to back anyone for this kind of thing, DP9 could probably use the support.

I'll be watching this one, but it seems to be off to a good start.

October 27th, 2014, 5:48 pm
Ninja Corps

I gave it a look, might back it just for the minis. I checked out the beta version of the new rules, and they seemed a bit on the complex side, but not something I couldn't learn in a couple-few games. Not nearly as bad as Classic BattleCharts.

I was a bit worried that tanks might be dominant, just looking at their raw specs, and it might end up like the MechWarrior clickies game from back in the day, but the designers have actually stated that the game is designed around all-Gear forces, and the rules give tanks severe weaknesses, especially in close quarters. Gears can use their superior mobility to close in and shred tanks with their melee weapons. I'm cool with that, I want a stompy robot game dominated by stompy robots.

November 12th, 2014, 5:30 pm
Consul

I'm also thinking of backing for the minis, not the game. My buddy and I Beta tested the rules over the weekend. It's not as cumbersome as the previous version (which was very status and state-dependent), but it's a lot more complex than it needs to be. Specifically, the Margin Of Success (MOS) mechanic really slows things down because you need to actively re-engage your opponent every time, and then do math and modifiers to assess each result. It's playable, but not scalable. Compare with rolling a d6 a la 40k or Flames of War, which are both easily playable and scalable.

Even as a toybox of minis, artwork, and stats, this might be a good buy.

November 12th, 2014, 6:11 pm
Moderator Ninja

Never really played the game but the guys from Dream Pod 9 come to Templecon every year and they are super sweet to hang out with.

November 12th, 2014, 6:24 pm
Consul

I'm not surprised - DP9 seems to be a good bunch.

November 12th, 2014, 7:07 pm
Bottle Cap

Hello. I'm a fan of the Heavy Gear game and I came across this while searching for those who were chatting up about the Kickstarter.

First off, thanks for talking about the game in the first place. :)

Secondly, I wanted to point out that the new Beta rules are still in flux, and with playtesting for the next year Dave (the line developer) has already begun the process of removing extra rules/effects that were complicating the Beta.

We've already pushed over $97,000, so the entire package is already there, plus a lot of extras. As for the rules, they will remain open and free for download at drivethroughrpg up until they are finalized for the Backers at the end of 2015. After that, they will be a living rulebook that will be modified every six months or annually depending on reactions from fans/players.

For the time being, however, I can say that the new dice mechanic is going to remain, which involves a lot more simplicity than the previous MoS that involved requiring high Skill dice to complete actions successfully. Any other questions, I will most certainly be around. God bless!

November 12th, 2014, 10:38 pm
Consul

@Brandon - thanks for your reply.

I'm glad that DP9 will continue the push to simplify and streamline the game even further.

I do appreciate the move away from the previous MOS mechanic.

I really wish DP9 would play some Flames of War - it's broadly comparable in model scale, and a natural progression for where the game should go if they are moving to plastic models.

November 12th, 2014, 10:52 pm
Bottle Cap

GrauGeist wrote:
@Brandon - thanks for your reply.

I'm glad that DP9 will continue the push to simplify and streamline the game even further.

I do appreciate the move away from the previous MOS mechanic.

I really wish DP9 would play some Flames of War - it's broadly comparable in model scale, and a natural progression for where the game should go if they are moving to plastic models.

Actually I know several of the older Pod members did play Flames of War, and in fact have a few armies to boot.

Heavy Gear, by and large, was formed out of roleplaying. But the original RAFM 1/87 models were made obsolete in '97 when lead miniatures were banned due to health hazards.

After that, a lot of players who had invested in the older, larger scale miniatures found themselves being switched over to 1/144 scale or 12mm scale miniatures. That upset a lot of retailers.

However, the Blitz line has continued to try and maintain the older fan base by remaining at the 1/144 scale, while also retaining much of the older mechanics for Tactical for the existing player base. Needless to say, this has to change.

The new 5th edition is the result of this.

While still focusing on the medium between what some might call 'skirmish scale' and 'wargame', Heavy Gear is its own niche of combined arms combat with humanoid war machines as one-man infantry fighting vehicles/tanks. :)

November 12th, 2014, 11:07 pm
Consul

Thanks for the background, it explains a lot.

The roleplaying note, in partcular, explains why the previous version has such ridiculously cumbersome detail - you're only ever dealing with ONE Gear, and a chunk of your game time is talking, not fighting! The game was never really intended for mass battles with dozens of models per side.

I've only really seen the 1/144-scale minis. The new plastics look much better than the metals.

November 13th, 2014, 12:12 am
Ninja Corps

I got a two-pack of metal Cheetah Gears from a local game store a while ago. It were in the bargain bin, apparently someone ordered it and never picked it up. Like, for years. So I took that two-pack home for like four bucks because I wanted to assemble and paint some stompy robots. I didn't know which weapons were what, so I just gave 'em each a different gun I thought looked cool. According to the beta rulebook's model listing and weapon identification chart, I built one stock Cheetah and one White Cat Cheetah, but with the stock Cheetah's arms instead of the alternate White Cat arms mentioned in the Kickstarter. That may or may not be valid, but I think they look cool. If the plastics look even better, I won't regret investing in the Kickstarter just for the models.

November 13th, 2014, 1:00 am
Bottle Cap

GrauGeist wrote:
Thanks for the background, it explains a lot.

The roleplaying note, in partcular, explains why the previous version has such ridiculously cumbersome detail - you're only ever dealing with ONE Gear, and a chunk of your game time is talking, not fighting! The game was never really intended for mass battles with dozens of models per side.

I've only really seen the 1/144-scale minis. The new plastics look much better than the metals.

I can't speak for plastics versus metals, except in the case of the larger tanks and striders, and those are resin in the Heavy Gear line.

The metal miniatures I personally have found appealing because the sculptor in question is a particularly talented Canuck with an eye for detail. :)

But in regards to the roleplaying, I am currently running a RPG on the DP9 forums by play by post. I use the Blitz rules for the time being (not the Beta rules), but crossover with the Silhouette skill levels. It works enough.

The new Beta rules are intended for quicker, easier play, without the multiplication and division of the older era.

Bitt_Player wrote:
I got a two-pack of metal Cheetah Gears from a local game store a while ago. It were in the bargain bin, apparently someone ordered it and never picked it up. Like, for years. So I took that two-pack home for like four bucks because I wanted to assemble and paint some stompy robots. I didn't know which weapons were what, so I just gave 'em each a different gun I thought looked cool. According to the beta rulebook's model listing and weapon identification chart, I built one stock Cheetah and one White Cat Cheetah, but with the stock Cheetah's arms instead of the alternate White Cat arms mentioned in the Kickstarter. That may or may not be valid, but I think they look cool. If the plastics look even better, I won't regret investing in the Kickstarter just for the models.

WYSIWYG isn't as huge a deal for Heavy Gear as it might be for other games. So long as your White Cat has an ECM bit or satellite dish on it to separate it from the stock miniature, I wouldn't make a fuss about it. :)

Stompy robots are meant to be cool after all.

Do you have any pictures of the Cheetahs in question? Are we allowed to post pictures of non-SP miniatures on this forum?

November 13th, 2014, 4:55 am
Bottle Cap

Okay, we have broken 100,000. Here is an updated poster of the Core Starter Set.

GrauGeist, thank you for your interest. I noticed that you mentioned forum bases on Bell of Lost Souls. The new Beta rules use a silhouette system for each model, similar to Warmachine, and discussions on cover and concealment are ongoing in the Beta Development forum to leave out some of the extras.

Here is a link to the new poster:

http://dreampod9.s3.amazonaws.com/Heavy%20Gear%20Blitz%20Kickstarter%20Core%20Starter%20Set%20Contents%20Image%20Updated.jpg

November 14th, 2014, 1:32 pm
Consul

Right now my interest is like this:
7/10 models
3/10 background
1/10 rules

It seems that DP9 is really wedded to having cumbersome rules that don't scale, and they flat out refuse to listen to criticism.

November 14th, 2014, 5:01 pm
Ninja Corps

GrauGeist wrote:
Right now my interest is like this:
7/10 models
3/10 background
1/10 rules

That is a total of 11/10 :P :lol:

November 14th, 2014, 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

total 11/30. ;)

For comparison, during SDE:FK, I was like this:
9/10 models
7/10 background
9/10 rules
total 25/30.

That's the difference between being on the fence with HG and going all in with FK.

November 14th, 2014, 8:56 pm
Ninja Corps

The rules are still in beta, and there's a year before the estimated release date. I've been digging through the forums, and it looks like most people are playing games at anywhere between 50 and 150TV. The starter as it currently stands will let you make forces in the area of 100TV for each of the four factions, depending on what options you choose, so there's that to consider. I may proxy some figures and give it a try this weekend, and if I remember to I'll post up a picture of those two Cheetahs I painted.
I planned out a few forces just to get a feel for the process. At first I thought the whole structure of units and Unit Availability codes was a little obtuse, but having given it a try, it doesn't seem too bad. If anything, it's helpful to new players. You can easily narrow down your choices just by knowing what you want your unit to do and picking the appropriate Unit Availability. While UAs are all one- or two-word names, they're pretty self-explanatory. It's easy enough to work out what a Fire Support or Recon unit does, after all.
Also, I kind of like the fluff. Well, mostly I think the United Mercantile Federation's legalized vote-buying is just crazy enough to work. Think about it: Instead of collecting taxes, they sell election vouchers. The more vouchers you trade in when you vote, the more your vote is worth. But fluff liking is mostly subjective, really.

November 14th, 2014, 9:15 pm
Consul

A basic Jager is 6 TV, while a Black Mamba is 11 TV, so I'm going to take the typical Gear at around 10 TV. 50 TV is 5 Gears, and 150 TV is around 15 Gears.

5 to 15 models per side is small skirmish scale, like Mordheim or Necromunda.

November 14th, 2014, 9:45 pm
Bottle Cap

You're not wrong.

The aim is between 4 to 20 models.

As for the cumbersome rules, Dave is already planning on making an update after the KS is over to remove some of the older Blitz-era rules like We're in Trouble, and reword certain rules that are vague.

I'm not sure what you mean by scale though. Are you saying you want more miniatures on the tabletop?

At this point, the rules from what I understand are less cumbersome when they are played than if they were the older Tactical rules.

-Brandon F.

November 15th, 2014, 12:27 am
Consul

OK, thanks for confirming target game size to be skirmish, rather than platoon or company engagements.

I'd like it if the game supported 20-50 models comfortably.

From my experience testing the Beta, the rules are less cumbersome than before, but still not what I'd consider modern.

November 15th, 2014, 6:56 am
Bottle Cap

Technically, four tanks is a platoon. ;) 3 squadrons or cadres of Gears (12-15 models) is roughly equivalent to a couple platoons of tanks. And you purchase infantry by platoon.

May I ask what you consider a modern ruleset?

November 15th, 2014, 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next