View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 12th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Robotech Tactics Kickstarter discussion 
Consul

Wow, Robotech Tactics just got very interesting with the whole Gencon sales thing.

I'm not quite sure why Palladium thinks they need to sell copies at Gencon, especially as they could just allow backers claim on a first come, first served basis. Nor do I understand the need to ask permission if doing so really is in the best interest of the game. It's just wierd.

IMO,
1) Palladium ought to bring basic game sets for DEMOs, only.

2) Any additional copies should be base games for backers to pick up onsite, none for sale. This gives backers the first shot, even at GenCon.

If anybody is going to drive positive buzz, it should be the backers. Allowing non-backers to purchase copies prior to backer shipping completion is just stupid. This unnecessarily antagonizes backers with 3rd party copies which which will likely be sold on eBay, rather than actually played.

@SPM, please don't sell copies of FK at GenCon, until you take care of your backers.

Last edited by GrauGeist on June 7th, 2015, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 16th, 2014, 5:09 am
Consul

BTW, if it really is necessary to pull a few bucks, charge for expedited split delivery to GenCon on a reserved copy basis.

July 16th, 2014, 5:18 am
Mini-Boss

It is a prickly situation. Did backers pledge for a ton of minis or did they pledge for a game? If the latter then gencon hype seems healthy for making the game popular.

I was not a backer of that project so I cannot comment on what the delay wait for that has been like.

July 19th, 2014, 6:19 am
Ninja Corps

I am a back or Robotech and I think its a very poor business practice to sell to others whom didn't fork out the money of the project over a year ago before those who did. Either way I just want my stuff as broken promise after broken promise from the Robotech deal has made others very upset. I say sell the basic core set only. But get me my stuff right after GenCon.

July 19th, 2014, 7:31 am
Bottle Cap

Is Siembieda still in charge of Palladium?

July 19th, 2014, 4:09 pm
Denizen

I am a Robotech backer as well. I have no issue with it. Every game company out there sells stuff yet to be released to the public at GenCon. It benefits the convention and the company... draws people in. In the comments of Robotech, there are talks of law suites, and how Robotech is gonna be dead in the water or arrival, and no one will support the game, you know what? They said the very same about Soda Pop and Relic Knights, and some still do. Maybe that will tell you something about the smoke blowing that is going on the part of the subscribers and fans... I just want my product I pledged for. They say they are shipping before GENCON and some of us will have our stuff before, and they will continue to ship though and after as well. I know how much of a big deal GENCON is and how it can help build up a game and company. I am representing Fallen Frontiers at GENCON, will have stuff to show off there, so if you want to check it out I have a table in the non historical miniature area on Saturday. Come check out the miniatures.

http://miniaturesincolor.wordpress.com/

July 19th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Mmm. The difference is that Sodapop Miniatures is a new company, and aside from the problems that arose due to having a kickstarter go way more successful than anticipated, they've generally been up-front and open with their fans and backers. Palladium has a . . . history, shall we say. . . of less-than-optimal fan relations, often on the part of Kevin Siembieda.

July 19th, 2014, 5:42 pm
Denizen

BWAHAHAHAHA! You are kidding right? Oh thank you, the amount of stress I have been under I really needed that laugh. ( themocaw )

July 21st, 2014, 2:30 am
Profile WWW
Minion

Basically its a bunch of Battletech players with a grudge against palladium

They blame the lawsuit for their game having the ugliest models of any miniatures game ever

July 23rd, 2014, 5:42 am
Consul

I'm not that familiar with Palladium, but I do know the history of Harmony Gold & Carl Macek...

July 23rd, 2014, 6:11 am
Bottle Cap

I don't know too much about any lawsuits, but I seem to remember Siembieda acting a bit phallic regarding the fact that Palladium's outdated RPG should never be updated or revised because it was perfect or something. Maybe he's more mellow these days.

FASA's corporate woes re: Battletech are another story of course.

July 23rd, 2014, 6:31 am
Minion

themocaw wrote:
I don't know too much about any lawsuits, but I seem to remember Siembieda acting a bit phallic regarding the fact that Palladium's outdated RPG should never be updated or revised because it was perfect or something. Maybe he's more mellow these days.

FASA's corporate woes re: Battletech are another story of course.

The original Battletech models were rip offs of robotech, fasa was sued by paladium/harmonygold, many battletech fans blame the lawsuit for the failure of fasa, and any other issue with battletech

i have friends that played battletech and anytime i criticize it they defend it by mentioning the lawsuit and paladium like Battletech would be the number one game in the word if it wasn't for the lawsuit.

July 24th, 2014, 6:05 am
Ninja Corps

IIRC the lawsuit was a bit more complicated than that. FASA didn't just rip them off, they obtained the permission to use the Macross mech designs from the Japanese owner. The big surprise was that Harmony Gold had the exclusive rights to anything Robotech for the american market, so they vetoed. So one could speculate, that Harmony Gold screwed the original rights owner over in the first place...

After that Battletech was left with crappy mech designs and was dead to many people (including me).

July 24th, 2014, 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

I backed the Robotech Kickstarter pretty heavily (ah, nostalgia, thou art a tricky mistress), and I voted yes for them selling the game at GenCon. In my opinion, a lot of people forget the purpose of backing a Kickstarter project. It is not to receive cool toys before anyone else does. It is to fund the creation of a product for public consumption. Getting a boatload of minis is just an awesome bonus.

GenCon is the biggest gaming convention in the United States. It would be crazy for them NOT to have it there. Demos are great, but shifting those into purchases at the convention will be even better for the game than simply running them. I backed the Kickstarter because I want the game to succeed post Kickstarter. I want people in my area to buy into it, so I can play games against someone besides Cromusz who is only playing because I can provide all the minis. As someone who has bought into multiple new games at GenCons past, I can assure you that a presence at GenCon is great for a game. Launching at GenCon is too big of an opportunity for Palladium to pass up.

July 24th, 2014, 12:42 pm
Bottle Cap

Wait, people are still complaining about THAT lawsuit? That was decades ago. Given that Battletech was the most popular mech based war game and had a long running series of well-recieved computer games, I'd think the impact turned out to be minimal. Hell, it was even a selling point to those who wanted their giant robots without a more anime aesthetic.

Sure, it sucked to lose the Phoenix Hawk and such, but the new designs, as ugly as they might be, help drive home the idea that these mechs are big, unsubtle, lumbering. war machines. I still have a soft spot for the Jenner and Catapult.

The Atlas will always be ugly tho, screw that piece of junk.

July 24th, 2014, 1:57 pm
Minion

I'm all for them selling at gencon, gives me the chance to pick up more ;p

the real sad part about this game isn't the issues with this kickstarter, it is they planned on doing three kickstarters one for each era, so the macross saga was a huge success but next up is the masters saga, nobody likes the masters saga. but if that kickstarter fails, then we may not get the third lickstarter which would be new generation, and i want my cyclones and alpha and beta fighters, and Invid of various sizes and swarms

July 24th, 2014, 3:47 pm
Dungeon Boss

GrauGeist wrote:
BTW, if it really is necessary to pull a few bucks, charge for expedited split delivery to GenCon on a reserved copy basis.

It isn't about money, it is about buzz. And that can be very important for a game to get off the ground (there is so much need for momentum). A lot of times, Gencon stock is air freighted and sold at a lower profit margin than normal- (possibly none at all, but not likely). The idea is that attendees go home and spread their games to their communities.

And if they're going home with starter boxes, then they're way more likely to spread the game than if they go home without one.

Not having product at Gencon could hurt the game's momentum. But also, breaking promises to your backers can hurt a game's momentum as well- that's a field that isn't as explored (since Kickstarter is still relatively new).

I'm not really on either side of this issue for Robotech, but I think Palladium is making a tough call one way or the other.

July 24th, 2014, 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Would you like to see the PLASTIC model kits that came in BATTLE-DROIDS.. before it was changed to BattleTech?

it came with 2 plastic model kits for use with the game as well as a bunch of paper models. There were other plastic kits as well.. then Lucas sued them over the use of DROIDS, and then Harmony or some other company sued them over the rights to the Anime style plastic kits.. Poor Fasa, Battletech should of been doomed to failure, but it wasn't and to this day is still one of my favorite games of all times... until they came out with the clans.. and then yeah.

July 27th, 2014, 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

I just could never get into Battletech, rules are just too over complicated and the models are just dreadful.

The robotech game looks great even though the guys on the comments section are always trashing the models, they still look better than any battletech model.

July 29th, 2014, 4:39 am
Denizen

Robotech was over complicated, how so? If you ever want to see over complicated check out Star Fleet Battles. Holy Klingon's on the starboard bow Captain.. that game was way over complicated.. but man it was fun.

July 30th, 2014, 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next