View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2018, 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sharing the love. Anime suggestions. let's make some. 
Bottle Cap

Ooh, I am loving this thread. So many different anime I haven't watched yet!

Still going through FMA:Brotherhood and retracing my steps through Trigun.

Current favourites, the above mentioned aside: Cowboy Bebop, Gunslinger Girl, Fairy Tail. ^.^

July 27th, 2014, 7:10 am
Denizen

Man, so many choices. I have trouble choosing favorites. Most Tenchi, Naruto, FMA (brotherhood), Trigun, Gundam (especially Wing), Fairy Tail is.

I'll nbe checking out Gurren Lagann and Sword Art Online this month if I can get them.

The Noh Empire is not a melee-centric force.

July 27th, 2014, 11:01 am
Ninja Corps

One that I think everyone should watch is Monster. This is simply one of the best shows, on any medium, I've ever seen. It just happens to be anime, so is perfect for this thread.

Another one that has stuck with me, for years, is Bokurano. It's from the same creator as Narutaru (or Shadowstar, I believe was the English title). The show is defiantly not light, or perky, or anything like that. It's more of a dark psychological exploration set against an interesting and well crafted background. It's incredibly well done.

July 27th, 2014, 6:08 pm
Ninja Corps

I think I've mentioned this in another thread, but Serial Experiments Lain is a real head trip. Not in the way FLCL is, where it's clearly just absurd, but in a way that really makes you want to wrap your head around it. Not that FLCL is a bad show, in fact they're both favorites of mine.

As for the ever-popular giant robots, I've been watching a lot of old GaoGaiGar. Combining robots and hot-blooded determination are the centerpieces of that show, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe after that I'll watch G Gundam, which I used to love despite the seemingly-universal hatred it receives from other Gundam fans. If you like your giant robots a bit more serious, there's always Gundam: 08th MS Team. Or heck, most other Gundam shows.

If you'd rather have a show about a ten-year-old girl who produces energy blasts that make Wing Zero feel inadequate, there's Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, which is pretty bland for the first few episodes before Fate Testarossa shows up. Then it gets much more interesting, as well as scoring bonus "Awesome McCoolname" points for having a character named Fate Testarossa.

If you want the movie that launched the space opera, or at least brought it to the screen, try Space Battleship Yamoto. Heck, try Yamoto anyway because why not?

And as always, I can't write a post about anime recommendations without drawing some attention to Redline. Because my gosh, it is a thing of beauty. It's one of the best-looking animated movies I've ever seen, and every single frame was drawn and colored by hand. Granted, it took 'em almost a decade, but dang!

July 30th, 2014, 5:12 pm
Bottle Cap

So, here is the list of all the animes that I watched completely or at least enough episodes that I feel qualified to comment on. Ranked from best to worst. Where new seasons were treated like separate shows, I ranked them separately in italics. Short comments about genre, setting or just why I would rank them as I did. (I hope that nobody minds that big info dump and that includes some good suggestions for you.)

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 10/10 - Characters, story, emotional impact: Everything is awesome!

Fullmetal Alchemist 10/10 – Characters, (slightly worse) story, (definitely more) emotional impact: Everything is awesome!

Psycho-Pass 10/10 - The best crime action sci-fi story there is. Quite disturbing at times.

Ghost in the Shell – Stand Alone Complex 9/10 – The second best crime action sci-fi story there is. Intriguing transhumanist setting.

Baccano! 9/10 – Goodfellas meets Pulp Fiction in the thirties. Sometimes bloody, sometimes funny, always a great watch.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 9/10 – Dark and deeply emotional deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre. I was crying.

Cowboy Bebop 9/10 – A true classic. One of the best sci-fi series ever.

Darker than Black 9/10 – Dark story with interesting characters. Goes under the skin.

Durarara!! 9/10 – Lots of interesting characters crossing paths in an elaborate story set in today's Tokyo.

From the New World 9/10 – Very unusual and often unpredictable sci-fi (?) story about human nature. Quite depressing, actually.

Death Note 9/10 – Watching masterminds outsmart each other: Very suspenseful.

Fate/Zero 9/10 - Very well done and dark fantasy story. Too bad that the last episode sucked so much.

FLCL 9/10 – An artistic master piece.

Code Geass 9/10 – A rollercoaster ride, both story- and qualitywise. Brilliant plot twists are followed by face palm moments. All in all great though.

CodeGeass – R2 9/10 – Same as the first season. Has more (and less realistic) mecha fights.

Gurren Lagann 9/10 – IT'S OVER NINE BILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghost in the Shell – Stand Alone Complex (Second GIG) 9/10 – More action, story not as brilliant, still great.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 9/10 – I enjoyed the dry humor. May appear like a typical romantic high school comedy. It's more though.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 8/10 - Not Urobuchi's best work, but still a great culture clash science fiction. REVIEW

Soul Eater 8/10 – Interesting and dark fantasy story. Would have scored higher if it weren't for the „ending“.

Black Lagoon 8/10 – Dark action with smugglers, drug lords, killers and the mafia. Intriguing.

Steins;Gate 8/10 - Pretty good time travel story with highly likeable characters.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 8/10 – Mostly a very good mecha show. The protagonists are basically terrorists who try to change mankind / the world.

Hellsing Ultimate 8/10 – Stylish and awesome. Warning: Most violent show ever!

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni 8/10 – Groundhog Day with suspense, mysteries and violence. Leaves many questions.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Kai 8/10 – Groundhog Day with suspense, mysteries and violence. Answers (most of) the questions.

Scrapped Princess 8/10 – Nice fantasy story about saving the anti-christ (sort of).

Samurai Champloo 8/10 – The first episode is great. Edo period, sword fights and humor. After that, it gets a bit too episodic for my taste.

Planetes 8/10 – Quite realistic hard-Sci-Fi series about an orbital garbage disposal team.

Mnemosyne 8/10 - Mature supernatural crime show. Dark and disturbing, sadistic and sometimes downright unpleasant. REVIEW

Fullmetal Panic! The Scond Raid 8/10 – Action, fun, enjoyable characters, interesting story (and mecha fights). Better than the first season.

Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor 8/10 – Not as great as the first season.

Toradora! 8/10 - Come for the laughs, stay for the characters! REVIEW

Black Butler 8/10 – Doesn't always get its mixture of comedy and darker themes right.

Outlaw Star 8/10 – An enjoyable sci-fi show. With space pirates.

RahXephon 8/10 – Looks like a reworked NGE. And just as NGE, it suffers from the mind screw ending.

Eureka Seven 8/10 – Cool characters, decent story, but some filler and the annoying ending pull the show down.

Elfenlied 8/10 – Starts of horrible. Becomes better. I was crying in the last episodes.

Puni Puni Poemi (with commentary) 8/10 - I ranked the show itself a lot lower, but there is a commentated version with the American voice actors and it is absolutely hilarious!

Jormungand 7/10 - Gritty (but not really dark) show about wars and weapon dealers. Promised to be better than it was.

A Certain Magical Index 7/10 - Nice science fantasy entertainment with a likeable male protagonist.

A Certain Scientific Railgun 7/10 - Nice science fantasy entertainment with a kick-ass female protagonist.

A Certain Scientific Railgun S 7/10 - More Misaka! Does repeat a bit from Index season 1.

Deadman Wonderland 7/10 – Second most violent show ever! Lots of psychos in a crapsack world.

Future Diary 7/10 - Several (mostly broken or crazy) people try to kill each other by using knowledge of the future. Cool, but too ridiculous at times.

Sword Art Online 7/10 - The basic idea of people being trapped in a MMORGP is well executed in the beginning, but the second half it rather disappointing.

Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit 7/10 – The adaption of a Japanese fantasy novel. Starts of great, but loses steam quickly.

The Devil is a Part-timer! 7/10 - Surprisingly entertaining and funny show about demons trying to live as normal humans in our modern world.

Fullmetal Panic! 7/10 – The mix of highschool comedy and war action doesn't always work well.

Fullmetal Panic! Fumoffo 7/10 – Concentrating on the highschool comedy aspect of the series. Funny, but not much substance.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 7/10 – A flawed classic. The financial problems are noticable and the mind screw (especially at the end) is annoying.

Penguindrum 7/10 - The first third is absolutely amazing. The second third is mostly boring. The last third is stupid mind screw.

Persona 4: The Animation 7/10 - Great characters, boring supernatural fight scenes. REVIEW

GANTZ 7/10 – Living dead are forced to play a real life ego shooter of sorts. CGI effects are too visible and take away from the drawn pictures.

Angel Beats 7/10 – Dead teenagers fight against being resurrected. Funny, interesting setting, nice twists, but gets boring towards the end.

Mars Daybreak 7/10 – Sci-Fi underwater mecha battles on Mars. Family friendly adventure with no deaths.

Desert Punk 7/10 – Lots of crude humor in a post-apocalyptic setting. The ending shows that the show overtook the manga.

Azumanga Daioh 7/10 – Sometimes, I was literally rofling. A few very funny situations can't carry the whole show though.

Panty and Stocking 7/10 – Mix the humor of Drawn Together with the style of Powerpuff Girls and the makers of FLCL.

The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya 7/10 - This is basically to Haruhi what Fumoffo is to Fullmetal Panic. Which means that it is funny and nonsensical and doesn't reach the original show's quality.

Serial Experiment Lain 7/10 – This is just full of mind screw.

Excel Saga 7/10 – Some of the weirdest humor I've ever witnessed. Feels forced at times.

Hellsing 7/10 – Cool characters, but the story is lacking. Also, the visuals could have been better. (Maybe the new version just spoiled me here?)

Fairy Tail 6/10 – Funny characters and hints of an interesting story drowned in endless fighting scenes.

Magi - Labyrinth of Magic 6/10 - Interesting setting, but full of clichés, sometimes boring and increasingly too much like one of those endless fighting shonen shows.

Jungle wa itsumo Hale nochi Guu 6/10 – Weird fun. Shallow, but entertaining.

Squid Girl 6/10 - Light comedy about a fish out of water... literally.

Ergo Proxy 6/10 – Could have been a dark and intriguing sci-fi story, but is too boring at times.

Bleach 6/10 – Pacing is way to slow, with fights stretching over multiple episodes. They should spend that time advancing the interesting story.

Puni Puni Poemi 6/10 - Excel Saga: The Magical Girl Spinoff. Nuff said.

Black Butler II 6/10 – The story has its highlights, but overall a step behind the first season. Plus, it has one of the most annoying characters in all of anime.

Witch Hunter Robin 6/10 – This show had potential, but half the time, it's just boring.

Vandread 6/10 – Drawn characters and CGI space fights really don't mesh well. Mediocre storytelling.

Basilisk 6/10 – Cool super powered ninja fights, but otherwise... boring.

C 5/10 – Stupid mind screw towards the end. Mediocre animation. Bad cutting. Financial crisis as magical duels.

Murder Princess 5/10 – Short fantasy series. Nothing special.

Needless 5/10 – Starts off as a funny post-apocalyptic show with some panty shots. Becomes endless fighting with lots of panty shots.

Highshool of the Dead 4/10 – Decent zombie apocalypse, but with waaaaay too much fanservice. Zombie panty shot? WTF?!

Wow, that's 78 shows that I finished. Now, here are a few that I dropped, but that I might pick up later (ratings are preliminary):

Trigun 6/10 - 18 of 26 episodes watched.

Dream Eater Merry 6/10 - 5 of 13 episodes watched.

The Familiar of Zero 4/10 - 9 of 13 episodes watched.

Last edited by Star Slayer on April 16th, 2015, 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

September 17th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Consul

Top picks that I've enjoyed:
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion - a true landmark of awesome, but you need to watch EoE to capstone the series.
2. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 & 0083 - retro mecha battles, but good stuff. Zeon has the best mechs.
3. Ah, My Goddess - it's just so very cute, and the Japanese VAs are really excellent.

HM. Ranma 1/2 - starts really strong, but gets overly repetitive. No concept of going out on a high note.

September 17th, 2014, 11:29 pm
Minion

I've been watching the original Space Adventure Cobra series since they brought the sub over here recently, before that it was only the bad vhs rip of the movie and later series.

The original series is great

But my tastes tend toward Space Opera and High Adventure

that said I've also been rewatching Captain Harlock (Also the movie that came out last year is amazing!!!) and Galaxy Express. I even found Aura Battler Dunbine on Youtube and rewatched that

What can I say, I'm an old man and like the older stuff

September 18th, 2014, 8:45 pm
Mini-Boss

Hell Girl is an anime I can strongly recommend. It has made me cry on several occations because it at times strikes so hard on the emotional department. Really good, but sort of sad anime at times. :'(

<3

When all realities in which you can lose are eleminated, first then can you be proclaimed the winner.

September 21st, 2014, 9:34 pm
Ninja Corps

I just watched the new computer animated version of Space Pirate Captain Harker - Ahem Harlock I mean. Great movie!

December 22nd, 2014, 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Have to speak up here and say Gurren Lagann. It's a show that has been close to my heart for a few years now. If you want a very emotionally charged mecha anime that grows leaps and bounds in scale throughout the series, it's definitely a must watch. Especially for anyone who is an activist at heart. Same goes with Sands of Destruction.

December 22nd, 2014, 8:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Bottle Cap

I recently saw a great anime called Akame ga Kill... in my opinion, is great, I love the characters and the story is very different from other animes that I saw. Somebody knows about it?

January 29th, 2015, 11:56 am
Ninja Corps

Not really an anime (but the original was) - If you have the chance watch the 2010 movie Space Battleship Yamato. Watch the trailer here

January 29th, 2015, 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Like above:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 10/10 - Awesome. Just watch it, do not ask questions. NOW.

Fullmetal Alchemist 10/10 - Awesome. Just watch it, do not ask questions. NOW.

Psycho-Pass 8/10 - Ok, but become boring in the middle

Ghost in the Shell – Stand Alone Complex 9/10 – Better than Psycho Pass IMHO.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 9/10 – Magical girl anime...not really. But yeah, the main characters are magical girls, but it is dark and creepy...

Cowboy Bebop 10/10 – You did not see it yet ? Then go and watch it now.

Death Note 9/10 – Great. It take some time until the story starts, but then you cannot stop watching :-).

Code Geass 9/10 – Great (both parts). Also some mastermind action, Mechas, plot twists...

Black Lagoon 9/10 – Very dark with some humor. No magic, no mechas, just guns, bullets and a blade.

Steins;Gate 9/10 - Time travel with great jokes, great characters.

Hellsing Ultimate 5/10 – Blood. Oh and action.

Scrapped Princess 9/10 – Awesome fantasy story with good characters, nice plot.

Samurai Champloo 9/10 – Hip Hop Samurai. I do not like Hip Hop, but this anime is great :-).

Fullmetal Panic! The Scond Raid 8/10 – I also say that this is better than the first season.

Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor 8/10 – Not as great as the first season.

Elfenlied 1/10 – Weak start, stays bad.

Sword Art Online 5/10 - People are stuck in a game. Very boring.

LOG Horizon season 1+2 10/10: People are stuck in a game. Then some master mind action, great characters, great plot, action...everything. Awesome. Watch it. NOW!

Angel Beats 5/10 – Sometimes funny. Story is interesting at the start. Then it becomes boring

Hellsing 5/10 – Blood.

Fairy Tail 6/10 – Like One piece...does start nice. Takes forever. Becomes boring.

Trigun 9/10 - Awesome. Wild west meet science faction with great characters, lots of humor, ok plot. But a bit old, so perhaps it is not that good now.

NOIR 9/10 - Awesome. 2-3 female assasins in a huge conspiracy. You will like the characters, the plot, the action, the music...and will cry at the end.

No game no Life 10 / 10 - Mastermind action at its fullest. With great plot, great world, great characters, great everything and stop reading this and watch it NOW.

Hope this was helpful to some of you, who did not watch all this ;-).

April 4th, 2015, 5:39 am
Minion

Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners - 7 Movies + Extra epilogue
Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin

They are a Chef d'œuvre, it is something that you must watch.
I personally purchased the $500 Bluray set and the Mirai Fukuin Bluray as well, even after downloading them. (Okay, the amount I've pirated over the years is probably well over that)

When you realize the entire scope of what Ryougi Shiki is.. it is mind-blowing.

And how it relates to Type-Moon's work of Tsukihime (VN, ignore the anime - its too incomplete) and Mahoutsukai no Yoru (Wonderful VN) makes it even better.
Also the story mode in Melty Blood: AACC (PS2 game, originally on PC) where Ryouhi Shiki and Nanaya Shiki fight~ superb.

April 14th, 2015, 11:13 pm
Bottle Cap

PY. wrote:
Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners - 7 Movies + Extra epilogue
Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin

They are a Chef d'œuvre, it is something that you must watch.

I have heard good things about these movies and am interested in watching them. However, it seems that they haven't gotten an English dub yet?

April 16th, 2015, 7:26 pm
Minion

And I wouldn't have it any other way.
No English VA can convey the character's emotions quite like the original JP VA. I'm sure there are decent enough dubs out there but the majority are lackluster and cringy.

The first series of 7 movies + epilogue/special disc came subbed, though the translation was imperfect and had a certain "Engrish" feel to it.
The second set of the tale (Mirai Fukuin) came without english subs to my disappointment but eh, having seen them with the subs (downloaded from whoever did the fansub) I don't necessarily need words to understand it now. And maybe one day I'll stop procrastinating on learning Japanese.

But yea, don't expect Dubs for this. The first of the 7 movies was released back in 2007, if there hasn't been a dub yet, we're not getting one! x;

April 17th, 2015, 8:25 pm
Consul

Freezing - oddly, it's not nearly as brutal as the manga, but it's not a bad companion piece.

April 17th, 2015, 9:13 pm
Bottle Cap

PY. wrote:
And I wouldn't have it any other way.
No English VA can convey the character's emotions quite like the original JP VA. I'm sure there are decent enough dubs out there but the majority are lackluster and cringy.

I am seeing lots of people who hate on English dubs, but I have seen almost no truly bad English dub in ages. They've really upped the quality around 2000. Also, while English VAs convey emontions differently than Japanese ones (I guess it is matter of cultural differences and habits), there are still many good English VAs out that there are good at conveying fitting emotions.

I don't speak Japanese and reading subtitles is super distracting. After watching anime in several different ways, I have determined that English dubs are the best option for me. And I am not even a native speaker. Sometimes, it seems to me that English-speaking people just can't appreciate how good English anime dubs are. Or maybe it is because a native speaker will spot slight inconsistencies in emotional conveyance or choice of words more easily than I can? Well, even if they are not perfect, (modern) English dubs are generally great and don't deserve the bad reputation that they have.

Quote:
But yea, don't expect Dubs for this. The first of the 7 movies was released back in 2007, if there hasn't been a dub yet, we're not getting one! x;

That is too bad. The movies were dubbed in German and French, but not in English? Sad face. That dropped the chances of me watching them considerably.

April 19th, 2015, 8:01 am
Ninja Corps

I strongly dislike subtitles. Who the heck wants to choose between not knowing what anyone's saying and ignoring 9/10th of the screen? I'll watch a thing subtitled if I absolutely have to, and have seen some good shows that don't have a dub, but if I can hear a thing in English that's my go-to choice every time.

April 20th, 2015, 9:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2