View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 16th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 What anime are you currently watching? 
Minion

ja785y wrote:
Anyone here watched serial experiments lain?

I still have it on VHS. Amazing series. :)

April 21st, 2014, 7:35 pm
Minion

Yeah its probably my favorite
i own lain and flcl
i love all the trippy anime
anyone got any good ones to watch?
i've already watched:
flcl, Lain, evangelion, 11 eyes, steins;gate( played the game too its great), noein(seriously this ones great), and a few more i can't recall.

April 21st, 2014, 11:50 pm
Denizen

Check out Paranoia Agent and the movie Perfect Blue.

—Gihren Zabi , Mobile Suit Gundam

April 22nd, 2014, 4:18 am
Minion

Vul_Eagle wrote:
Check out Paranoia Agent and the movie Perfect Blue.

Perfect Blue was indeed a trippy affair, but so good too.

April 22nd, 2014, 7:36 pm
Minion

Almost forgot has anyone seen pale cocoon or voices from a distant star?
there one shot ovas and they are both great :d
but people tend to not know about them

April 22nd, 2014, 9:23 pm
Denizen

deadestdai wrote:
ja785y wrote:

I still have it on VHS. Amazing series. :)

I loved it, and its on the "buy the collected series" list... Soon I'll have cash for it.

April 27th, 2014, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

ja785y wrote:
Yeah its probably my favorite
i own lain and flcl
i love all the trippy anime
anyone got any good ones to watch?
i've already watched:
flcl, Lain, evangelion, 11 eyes, steins;gate( played the game too its great), noein(seriously this ones great), and a few more i can't recall.

Not sure precisely what you consider "trippy". But, a handful that that come to mind with the list you have there are Narutaru, Bokurano, Another and Higurashi no Naku Kuro Ni/When They Cry. I know I have more floating around in my head, but those jump out as fairly exceptional titles.

As for what I'm watching myself. I'm a long time head of an anime club, and am always in the middle of a bunch of things because of it. As of right now those titles are Fairy Tail, Blue Exorcist, Kill La Kill, Coffin Princess and Strike the Blood.

Since I didn't see it mentioned, skimming through the posts here, I also offer an unsolicited suggestion to anyone looking for something to watch in the form of Monster. This show is genuinely one of the best series I have ever seen, anime or not. Everyone should give it a watch. :P

April 29th, 2014, 7:27 am
Minion

^ Monster is pretty great. It really messes with your perception and values and keeps you guessing until the end.

Highly recommended, even if it's not an easy watch.

April 29th, 2014, 9:44 pm
Ninja Corps

ja785y wrote:

That show is a trip. I'm serious, no one needs drugs because Lain exists. Holy dang.
Serial Experiments Lain and Neon Genesis Evangelion are two shows that I think everyone should watch all the way through at least once. Whether anyone wants to watch them more than once is a matter of personal taste, but at least once is essential. Redline and FLCL are also essentials. In fact, if you're getting any Cerci Speed Circuit models when Relic Knights launches, you should probably watch Redline at least three or four times. The first few episodes of Rideback, when it's just people funnin' around on transforming motorcycles, are also good, but I can take or leave the rest of the series, personally.

On a less hot-blooded / mind-bendy note, pretty much anything by Studio Ghibli is worth a look.

June 11th, 2014, 12:49 am
Ninja Corps

...I switch between my favorite anime-shows.

Vandread
Highschool of the Dead
Kaempfer
Hand Maid Mai

March 13th, 2015, 10:48 am
Bottle Cap

Bitt_Player wrote:
Serial Experiments Lain and Neon Genesis Evangelion are two shows that I think everyone should watch all the way through at least once. Whether anyone wants to watch them more than once is a matter of personal taste, but at least once is essential. Redline and FLCL are also essentials. In fact, if you're getting any Cerci Speed Circuit models when Relic Knights launches, you should probably watch Redline at least three or four times. The first few episodes of Rideback, when it's just people funnin' around on transforming motorcycles, are also good, but I can take or leave the rest of the series, personally.

The first anime shows that I fully watched were Neon Genesis Evangelion, Hare+Guu, FLCL and Serial Experiments Lain (in that order). That somewhat colored my impression of anime and is the main reason why few animes appear overly weird to me. So, when somebody posts or says something about that really weird anime they've seen and I check it out and go "meh, that doesn't seem that weird to me" - this is the reason for that reaction.

April 16th, 2015, 7:31 pm
Minion

NGE is something I watched back when I was a teen.
Looking back on it though, I feel it was/is terrible. Its in my list of "Worst series ever".

Its "clone" from the time though, is in my top, best of the best, anime list:

RahXephon - which I recently rewatched

I need something new though, haven't followed any anime of recent years since I've been preferring reading mangas.

April 17th, 2015, 8:28 pm
Bottle Cap

PY. wrote:
NGE is something I watched back when I was a teen.
Looking back on it though, I feel it was/is terrible. Its in my list of "Worst series ever".

Its "clone" from the time though, is in my top, best of the best, anime list:

RahXephon - which I recently rewatched

I need something new though, haven't followed any anime of recent years since I've been preferring reading mangas.

NGE was a groundbreaking show, but I still find it quite overrated. I know the studio had money troubles near the end, but still. The last few episodes were quite a mess. And when they had the chance to remake the ending with the movie, they still went the "mind screw and symbolism not in addition, but instead of the story" route. Ugh.

I definitely liked RahXephon more than NGE. Would have liked it even more if the ending wasn't so bad though. It seemed that they felt obligated to have a terrible ending that resolved nearly nothing, but faked being deep just to "copy" NGE even more than they were already doing. Ugh.

I am currently watching D-Frag. That show is hilarious. Few shows made me laugh as much as this one.

April 19th, 2015, 7:43 am
Minion

Pretty lame but, I'm currently catching up on Youkai Watch.

I found out, a couple weeks back, that Level-5 is about to bring the series to America later this year so, figured I'd hop on the wagon ahead of time. It's pretty much a Poke'mon style anime so, fairly childish but, I've been down with Poke'mon since I was a goblin and then Digimon was pretty cool...guess I'm a bit of a fan of the 'catch-em-all' style anime.

Youkai Watch is kinda creepy. A kid finds a capsule machine in the woods that taunts him into putting money in and out pops a 'youkai' which is a ghost (or spirit or demon or some such though, apparently Nintendo says youkai are NOT ghosts...). The ghost that pops out of the capsule is called Whisper and he helps the kid find other youkai that may be interfering with the lives of people around him. His parents get possessed by a youkai that makes them fight all the time- a girl at school gets possessed by a youkai that makes her tease him about 'going number two'- That's the creepiest one...a little old lady that hands upside-down from your jaw...*shivers*. One of the mascots of the show is the ghost of a cat that had been hit by a car and so now he haunts the intersection where he died and tries to punch the crap out of the cars going by thinking he'll be able to become strong enough to go home once again and see the little girl that used to take care of him...

Anyway, I find it interesting and fun. It's a bit more 'adult' than Poke'mon (kids friends being obsessed with girls in bikinis wearing cat ears and paws and staying up late watching 'adult' channels on tv) and more refreshing than another reboot of Digimon. It'll be super interesting to see how it translates to our US culture, that's for sure! The show is deeply embedded with Japanese culture from the ground up.

April 20th, 2015, 4:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Consul

So, it's basically Ghost Whisperer, but for kids instead of women.

April 20th, 2015, 6:55 pm
Denizen

Sailor Moon, Season 1 — the newly released DVD/Bluray set has a much better dub than the original American release. Very much enjoying this.

Haven't gotten up to Sailors Neptune and Uranus yet, but according to reviews, this version hasn't straight-washed their love away.

April 24th, 2015, 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Cat wrote:
Sailor Moon, Season 1 — the newly released DVD/Bluray set has a much better dub than the original American release. Very much enjoying this.

Haven't gotten up to Sailors Neptune and Uranus yet, but according to reviews, this version hasn't straight-washed their love away.

You won't see them in season 1 though. They aren't around until R.

April 25th, 2015, 9:48 am
Denizen

Usagi wrote:
You won't see them in season 1 though. They aren't around until R.

Yup, and Right Stuf is taking pre-orders for R set 1 now, mine went in on the first day of the offer ^,^

April 25th, 2015, 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I'm watching Arrow, Game of Thrones and The Messengers

Lessons of Professor Internet.
* So, you're MAD about something on internet...
* The art of wait.

April 28th, 2015, 5:53 pm
Ninja Corps

Nephastus wrote:
I'm watching Arrow, Game of Thrones and The Messengers

Waaaaaiiittttt. That's not animayyyyyy

April 28th, 2015, 6:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next