View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 16th, 2018, 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Men in Black & The Ghostbusters - Ecto Terrestrial Invasion 
Bottle Cap

Just noticed this today on my usual online rounds...

https://idwgames.com/mib_gb_announcement/

burried in the info for the game is the announcement that the game, coming late next year, will feature
"all new character designs by fan-favorite artist Derek Laufman and innovative game design by Panda Cult Games (Wander: The Cult of Barnacle Bay), Men In Black/Ghostbusters: Ecto-terrestrial Invasion features a blend of fast action dice-chucking, take-that card play, and highly detailed sculpted miniatures from Ninja Division (Super Dungeon Explore)."

I know I'm supposed to be grumpy due to the current state of Legends (Let's not go there)... but darn if I'm not thrilled at the prospect of getting my paws on some chibi ghostbusters :o :shock: I love me some chibis and judging by the art style it looks like they are going that direction rather than the more traditional miniatures in the previous Ghostbusters game.

As always though... I have to wonder... Does this mean that Ninja Division are simply providing the sculpts for these miniatures? and that time won't be taken away from fulfilling Legends? Or is production for these going to be undertaken by ND as well?

I'm not trying to be negative I swear... I'm genuinely curious about whether anyone has heard to what degree ND are involved in this project.

November 7th, 2018, 6:13 pm
Mini-Boss

@fibretip - if you check the IDW gaming FB post when they announced it, it has some answers.

ND will only be responsible for sculpts. IDW will handle production. There are no sculpts left to do for SDL. I don't think there are any sculpts left for anything except maybe some RK 2.0 wave 3/expansion stuff. There is no reasonable conflict I can think of b/c ND sculptors are not responsible for production/fulfillment, which is what ND is struggling with.

I'm in the same boat, I think this is a good/positive thing (ND sculptors getting work) and chibi ghost busters/MIB/mainstream IP is a good thing, too. IDW hasn't said if this will be KS or retail (I'm assuming retail b/c it's a bit late to do a KS for next year in the timeframe they stated), but IDW may also have other GB/MIB games in the works that aren't mini games.

I know there are folks upset ND is getting any business until they fulfill on their ks commitments and are attacking the game on BGG, social media, and other sites simply due to association with ND b/c they feel by punishing ND's partners, they are getting back at ND and punishing them, but it doesn't compute how that will help KS fulfillment, but many backers are past that and just want everything to burn.

November 8th, 2018, 12:02 am
Dungeon Boss

If ND are only providing the sculpts, then this project isn't a problem.

it has become clear that ND's fulfillment issues aren't a matter of booking production slots or allocating manpower- it is a case of insufficient funds remaining to push the 'go' button.

Providing sculpts for Ghostbusters vs. MIB would not interfere with that, but I seriously doubt that it could bring in enough funding for them to get back on their feet.

November 14th, 2018, 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Yes, but it's just one announced product and it's been announced ND will be providing assets for the Wayward KS in Feb '19 so it points to more than one thing going on behind closed doors. I don't know how much sculpts/art costs these days, but I agree it'd be less what's needed to fund the project on its own, but I assume it's just one of the revenue streams they've set up.

November 15th, 2018, 12:18 am
Dungeon Boss

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Yes, but it's just one announced product and it's been announced ND will be providing assets for the Wayward KS in Feb '19 so it points to more than one thing going on behind closed doors. I don't know how much sculpts/art costs these days, but I agree it'd be less what's needed to fund the project on its own, but I assume it's just one of the revenue streams they've set up.

Individual sculpts tend to run in the mid hundreds- mostly depending on the sculptor (sculptors who are well established cost more than sculptors that aren't). I believe there are also some sculptors who will work on a profit sharing model (depending on the product).

It runs far below ND's obligations for the plastic production of Super Dungeon, but it could give them a boost toward fulfilling some of their resin obligations (especially if they separate them out).

There's also a job of miniatures art director that ND would be taking on. I believe is Deke's job at ND (for context, Ron Kruzie does this for Privateer Press and Mike McVey does this for CMON, but some companies will hire freelancers).

I'm actually not sure what the going rates are for getting that job done- but again, it will probably only be enough to fund some of their smaller obligations.

November 15th, 2018, 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]