View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 20th, 2018, 11:55 am

Forum rules

Attention!
All rulings are considered unofficial until included in print or official errata and FAQ document.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 [SDE] Embermage's Fire Wave 
Bottle Cap

Fire Wave (insofar as I remember since I don't have the cards in front of me) is a Wave 1 that causes fire, correct? Does it also do regular damage? I mean is a roll made when you use it? If so, does it use attack or will? Lastly, what about the range on it? Is it a wave coming from the mage or does it have a range of 8 like her standard magic attack?

Example:
The Embermage is 4 spaces away from a setup of -

E

MMM
MS

Where M is a monster, E is the Embermage and S is a spawn point. What's the best thing she can do using Flame Wave?

March 13th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Denizen

I think I can handle this one.

Wave attacks originate around the user of the attack. Thus, Fire Wave will attack all enemies adjacent to the Mage. Attacks with the label "Burst" are the attacks that will have both range and AoE. As an example, look at the Ranger's Sparkle Burst.

Next, notice that the button next to the attack name is red. That means that Fire Wave is a Special Attack, not just a Special Action. Thus the enemies get to make a defensive roll, and if they successfully block, then they are unaffected by the attack. That means no damage and they are not on fire. If it does hit, the enemy will take 1 DMG, be on fire, and also suffer any status effects the Mage has been granted via treasure.

As for the roll, I think you can roll either ATK or WILL. I know ATK is definitely legal for Fire Wave (if a little unintuitive). I've actually just asked a question myself on the nature of Magic X and what attacks it is allowed to modify.

March 13th, 2012, 10:26 pm
Minion

There is no defensive roll. The enemy just get set on FIRE.

March 13th, 2012, 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

LickOfPaint wrote:
There is no defensive roll. The enemy just get set on FIRE.

No, that is incorrect in this case. The Fire Wave is an attack. If an attack is blocked, all aspects of the attack are negated. This includes status effects.

Now, there IS a case where Fire is unavoidable, and that would be the Wyrm Scale's Fire Storm. That is a Special Action and thus has no way to block it. However, keep in mind that it is dangerous, so if you use it, the user will also be put on fire, not to mention any other friendly units in range.

March 14th, 2012, 12:13 am
Minion

So do all the enemies take DEX tests?

March 14th, 2012, 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Minion

Because it's a special attack, it's roll vs ARM. Just not sure if it's WILL vs ARM or ATK vs ARM. The rules are unclear but imply ATK, however that isn't the Ember mages strong suit as seen as it seems to be a spell fluffwise many people are hoping its WILL.

March 14th, 2012, 8:21 am
Denizen

ATK is for-sure legal. The question is if WILL is legal as well. It makes sense for it to be, but in that case it does open up a whole different can of worms, mostly regarding abilities granted by items. Can Coup de Grace be used by a Mage as a long-distance WILL attack?

March 14th, 2012, 9:29 am
Minion

I thought Fire Wave simple set stuff on fire, because it doesn't specify anything about damage -just like Starfire's breath attack.

March 14th, 2012, 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

LickOfPaint wrote:
I thought Fire Wave simple set stuff on fire, because it doesn't specify anything about damage -just like Starfire's breath attack.

I thought both Fire Wave and Starfires abilities were both Special Attacks (Red AP button), meaning they automatically do damage if they hit.

March 14th, 2012, 2:17 pm
Bottle Cap

I haven't played enough games to figure out the "balance" of it. What would make the most sense in comparison to other class' abilities?

March 14th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Employee

Since Fire Wave has a red action button it is a special attack. Special attacks require an attack roll and if successful will inflict both a wound + any other effects the attack specifies + any effects that are inherent to the model denoted in its abilities.

The Ember Mage may use her ATT attribute when using Fire Wave because that is the default attack roll stat and can always be used. She may also use her Magic X ability on it because Magic X states that you may use any abilities with it.

The ability that simply sets stuff on fire with no attack roll and causing no wound is Fire Storm on the Wyrm Scale relic. It does this because it has a blue action button so is a special action.

Red Button = attack roll vs defense roll resulting in damage + effects
Blue Button = automatic effects

March 14th, 2012, 5:00 pm
Minion

Nice! Thanks for the quick ruling.

March 15th, 2012, 7:44 pm
Bottle Cap

Still a little bit of confusion, Deke! If the mage can use her Magic X ability, what does that do to the range of the ability? If it's Wave 1, I thought someone stated that it's coming FROM the mage and anything adjacent to her is going to be making defensive rolls. Or if she chooses to use the Magic X ability, is the only thing that's different the stat that's determining what she rolls (in this case, will instead of atk)?

March 15th, 2012, 9:29 pm
Employee

As stated in the Wave rules -- Waves are centered on the user and replace any ranged effect the user may have. Wave 1 replaces the "8" range of her Magic ability, causing it to hit everything adjacent to her and her attack roll is made using WILL.

If it was Burst 1 it would combine with the range effect of her Magic 8 so she could throw the AoE 8 squares away from her.

March 15th, 2012, 9:57 pm
Minion

Okay, so Fire Wave and Dragon Breath use the ATTACK dice to try to wound.
However, the Mage is allowed to use her WILL for Fire Wave instead should she choose to.

March 16th, 2012, 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Minion

LickOfPaint - You can always use the ATTACK attribute as that's default for any attack.
If you have special abilities that let you attack with something else like Magic X or Missile X, you can use those attacks with the special attacks.

In case of the Ember Mage - she has Magic 8
It allows her to attack using Will targets that are up to 8 squares away.
She can choose to use any Special Ability in combination with the Magic 8
Any bonuses or restrictions on those Special Abilities will apply.

In case of Fire Wave the restriction is that it's Wave 1 attack - so Maximum range is 1 square around the caster counting from the caster.

So hypothetically if Ember Mage had also Missile 8 - she could choose to use this special attacks rolling with DEX

March 17th, 2012, 12:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]