View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19th, 2017, 9:21 am

Forum rules

Attention!
All rulings are considered unofficial until included in print or official errata and FAQ document.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New Playmats 
Consul

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1798881_10152247522794459_720889100_n.jpg

So... I started actually taking a closer look at this.

For starters it's 24x24 squares. The old tiles are 12x12 so it's basically 4 tiles put together.
The layout is the same on both halves, so no advantages starting a specific place.
This mat has walls that run along the lines of the squares instead of taking up a full square.
The actual squares are now one big grid where the old ones had individual squares. How will any future mats handle fire etc.?

And now the reason this is posted in the "Rules Questions" section...

1.) Anyone know which rules are used for this mat? In regard to placing things specifically.
2.) Is it strictly intended for Arena?
3.) Are we still following the rule that every square without a square blocks both movement and LoS? I mean... look at that drain... no reason shooting shouldn't be allowed!
4.) What are those pillars supposed to do? Are they blocking the entire square? Or just the one side they are overlapping?

March 8th, 2014, 7:30 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Good questions!

Since it has been said that this playmat represents the new maps one thing can be said for sure: the walls have been moved from taking up a square to being between squares. Probably the thick black line along the center of the wall is the part that actually blocks LOS. The most likely purpose here was to give the players more maneuvering space on the map.

The rest we can only speculate about: Maybe the grid will be back to old style for retail product (these here might have been produced in a hurry). You're right, there's no reason why the abyss should block LOS (on a related note: it SHOULD however block burrowing).

Your best bets for definitive answers are to either wait for the FK KS (that should shed some light on how the new tiles actually look) or to ask Deke in the FK Q&A thread...

March 8th, 2014, 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Consul

Yeah I agree on your assessment on the walls. Seems pretty straight forward.
Instead of blocking LoS on an entire tile, they block a line. Purpose being to free up gameplay space.

Actually the rule is probable going to be something like blocked white lines also block movement and LoS.
So if there isn't a white line, nothing can go through that part.

Put those pillars really befuddle me!

March 8th, 2014, 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Where did you get that playmat?

March 21st, 2014, 1:36 am
Ninja Corps

I'm betting that new rules will answer all those questions. But, until those come out,you may as well just use the old rules, even if they aren't super intuitive. You'll probabaly get the new rules in the next couple weeks or so...would be my guess. Assuming they spoil the whole rulebook ,that is. :P

March 21st, 2014, 2:27 am
Consul

yepimadork wrote:
Where did you get that playmat?

I won it in the haiku competition:
http://community.sodapopminiatures.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2231
The one pictured is not mine though.

I got a feeling they'll release, if not the entire rulebook, then at the very least the Arena rules soon.
They plan to make it a "living" rulebook.

March 21st, 2014, 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Employee

Just a quick note. The grid on this mat is not the final grid. The final grids will have squares marked as normal for the sort of space they represent. So for now go ahead and use whatever rules you want for specific areas. Curse of the free prototype. ;)

March 22nd, 2014, 11:35 pm
Bottle Cap

The place mat I got had a bunch of different symbols all over it. Like Feet and houses etc are these misprints?

September 7th, 2014, 11:35 pm
Consul

No, you got the right mat all right.
The mats without symbols are prototype mats which were never available for sale. A few people own these for various reasons, but the official mat is the one with the symbols.
The symbols represent certain tile effects and gameplay effects. Chasms, difficult terrain, where to place spawners in arcade mode etc...
I guess SPM hadn't thought of using symbols by the time the prototype went into production - or the symbols were so early in development that they weren't ready to be added to the prototype.

September 8th, 2014, 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

The mat posted by the OP is the same mat used at Gen Con for the PVP tournament and the prize that was handed out to the winners. Yes, PVP in it's current incarnation is way better on the mat :)

That being said, when we played it... We rotated it 90 degrees so that those pillars were actually in the 'battleground' area of the map and there were some shenanigans taking place during the tournament where people were Rules Lawyering the fact that the black line did not fully cut across the square and the white grid lines on the tile. (and hence were shooting / moving through the pillars)

The understanding after some discussion among the players was that the pillar is there to block the line of sight and movement. The wall doesn't go through the pillar and it's a sylistic - although arguably mechanically and WYSIWYG poor - choice to not have the black line run THROUGH the pillar. The visual cue that the pillar overlaps the black line, similar to other spots on the map where you can see the pillars art actually overlap but not completely cover the black line.

September 8th, 2014, 2:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]