View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Forum rules

Attention!
All rulings are considered unofficial until included in print or official errata and FAQ document.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 First game 
Bottle Cap

Hey all! Just got the game and ran through a game last night. I played Consul, wife played 2 heroes. First run through, I realized I was not activating or spawning properly. First question; how do you keep track if which monsters have activated? With only 2 spawn points is wasn't difficult but I could see larger games getting hard to keep track of. Also, she was playing the ranger and rogue and I took them down fairly easily before even spawning a mini boss. Bad team or just first game learning curve? Thanks!

April 16th, 2014, 6:42 pm
Dungeon Boss

Keep all your models facing one direction, and once they've activated, give them a rotation turn. It's about the easiest way I've seen.

As for why you killed the heroes so quickly....it's tough to tell, but it seems like 9 times out of 10 when such a lopsided thing happens, it's because the players were playing something incorrectly, providing a big advantage to 1 side. 2 hero games aren't really that difficult for the heroes most of the time, and hero choice isn't as critical as in a 3-hero game.

April 16th, 2014, 6:59 pm
Consul

To be honest there aren't any good ways to keep track of activated models. The rotation method is only good if you actually remember to rotate them every time! :D
But that's also one of the things they are getting rid of in the new rules.

I think everyone who ever played this game missed at least ONE rule in their first playthrough.
But bad rolls, loot-draws or simply forgetting to use abilities can also ruin the chances of winning.
Strategy helps, but this IS a game of dice and luck...

April 17th, 2014, 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Minion

@Goblin-King : Talk about it. First game with my wife yesterday, me as consul against her 3 heroes. I annihilated her, although her strategy was flawed from the beginning, as she spread out her 3 heroes and got them separated, but kept inflicting lots of wounds to my rocktops, summoning Starfire earlier then expected with still 2 spawn points on the board.

I'm re-reading the rules tonight, as I'm sure we did miss a few things, but that was fun nonetheless ;)

April 17th, 2014, 6:08 pm
Minion

Sounds like she got some good rolls on you then, Sproutchu. Just a shame that it actually counted against her. I feel for your wife, but as I usually play Consul (because I'm introducing new people to the game), I enjoy seeing good guys getting crushed.

April 18th, 2014, 10:40 pm
Minion

@Miyo : she did, for a while. The Ember Mage can be a real B!t*h :P But with Starfire being immune to fire, she lost her edge when he spawned and, having no suppport, got killed real quick.

If she's up to it, we might try an Arena game tonight. I feel it might be more interesting for two players, where the classic mode I see more fitted with 3+ players. Could be our love for chess and chess-like games :P

April 24th, 2014, 2:57 pm
Minion

A friend and I played Arena for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Worked pretty well. Although I owned him with my Barbarian + Rocktop Gang. His Ember Mage, Pumpkin Patch and Lava Whirl had no chance.

April 25th, 2014, 5:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]