View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 15th, 2018, 3:17 am

Forum rules

Attention!
All rulings are considered unofficial until included in print or official errata and FAQ document.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Shape shifting onto lava? 
Minion

I was playing a game with my group last night and the Deeproot druid was standing next to a lava square. He was feeling furry and decided to shape shift into the Angry bear to bear-slap the Death specter directly in front of him. We ruled it as having not entered a lava tile but being placed on it due to base expansion the bear was not on fire.
What is the actual ruling on this? I looked through the FAQ and the entire rule question forum but I didn't see this mentioned.
Thank you.

April 15th, 2014, 10:13 am
Ninja Corps

If a large base model enters a lava field with any part of it's base it suffers fire. Fire is suffered upon entering. So yes the angry bear should have started burning.

April 15th, 2014, 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Consul

Hmm... Never really realized it was only upon "entering"...

We've always played it as an ongoing hazard. If you stand in lave, you'll keep being on fire.
Even if healed the fire will immediately return...
This just seemed so logical to us all.

Oh well...

April 15th, 2014, 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Funny isn't it? But the terrain effect states clearly "a model entering a lava square suffers fire". So no harm from standing in one...

April 15th, 2014, 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I've always played it that the lava effect only triggers when a model moves into a lava tile, whether through their own movement or through a control effect. So expanding your base onto the tile wouldn't trigger lava. Nor would moving onto a lava tile with an effect that protects you from lava (like fly or Imm: Fire) and having that effect then wear off cause you to catch Fire. And if you were suffering from Fire whilst standing on a lava tile and then lost the Fire (by healing or otherwise), merely remaining on that tile would not cause you to reignite again. Totally illogical from a real life perspective, but an easy rule interpretation to work with from a gameplay point of view.

April 15th, 2014, 1:29 pm
Ninja Corps

And why would expanding your base on a lava square not trigger fire? You clearly move part of your base onto that square (no matter by which means). BTW, I'm not sure if fly protects you from terrain effects if you end your movement on the terraoin in question.

April 15th, 2014, 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

Flying models are always flying - they don't "land" in between.

April 15th, 2014, 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Dungeon Boss

Yep, Flying lets you ignore Difficult Terrain altogether.

April 15th, 2014, 4:47 pm
Minion

That's exactly what confused us. The druid didn't get pushed onto/through or spend movement to go on/through the lava hence he did not enter it. He was placed over it because of base expansion.

April 15th, 2014, 6:14 pm
Dungeon Boss

I think at the point in which his base starts occupying the square with Fire (or any other difficult terrain), it should be implied that is the same as "moving into" the space...even if it was via Shapeshifting. He/she didn't occupy that space before....they do now....hence they would trigger Fire upon the new occupation.

It's one of those gray areas of the rules that will hopefully get official attention, but in the meantime, play it the way you think it would have been fairly intended.

Last edited by thetang22 on April 15th, 2014, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 15th, 2014, 7:30 pm
Minion

You make a very good point. Thanks for the input.

April 15th, 2014, 7:56 pm
Ninja Corps

Thanks thetang22 that's what I meant, it's just that my English failed me...

April 15th, 2014, 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]