View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2018, 4:00 pm

Forum rules

Attention!
All rulings are considered unofficial until included in print or official errata and FAQ document.

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 FAQ Overload - If its been asked, it's probably in here! 
Consul

I'd kinda like some official answers so I'll post my questions from another thread here:

Q: In Arena, does a character with luck draw two cards from a chest, even if she chooses loot rather than treasure?

Q: In Arena, does loot for monsters accumulate (if you manage to bag two chests) or can they only have 1 loot card active at a time?

Edit: Apparently the arena rules are getting an overhaul in SDE v2.0, rendering these questions irrelevant

Last edited by Goblin-King on March 5th, 2014, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 4th, 2014, 6:34 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

chibi-noki wrote:
Lovestar wrote:
Quote:
Q: Is there a way to remove status effects on monsters?
A: Per the new errata Bosses and Mini-Bosses may remove a status effect when rolling a heart on the attack roll and successfully inflicting a wound. Minions and Denizens may not remove status effects unless they have a separate ability that allows them to do so.

This confused me a bit cause the rulebook 1.5 says that skull tokens can be used to remove status effects on monsters. Monsters sounds like minions and denizens to me.

The skull tokens are in addition to that rule. The rules changed a bit to allow for bosses and mini-bosses to heal with hearts, and the question was probably specific to non skull token situations.

Updated with a more clear wording.

Ok, just got confused as the Bosses and minibosses rolling hearts or potions also are written in the rulebook 1.5 under the Dice section as well as that monsters may not by rolling dice. So got confused when the FAQ said one thing from the rulebook but not the other.
Just wanted to make sure so I have played correct all these times :)

March 5th, 2014, 7:48 pm
Bottle Cap

Is it possible for a admin to please clean up the front page, as there are a couple of conflicting rules. For example:

"Q - Can a model use Burrow to remove Knockdown, and thus not lose an action point?
A - Yes. You may Burrow to remove Knockdown."
Q - If the blaze beetle is suffering knockdown, does it still have to spend an action point to get up... or can it just burrow on its activation to get rid of knockdown?
A - A model suffering knockdown must spend 1 action point before it can do anything."

Thanks

March 23rd, 2014, 7:37 am
Mini-Boss

karmagedon wrote:
Is it possible for a admin to please clean up the front page, as there are a couple of conflicting rules. For example:

"Q - Can a model use Burrow to remove Knockdown, and thus not lose an action point?
A - Yes. You may Burrow to remove Knockdown."
Q - If the blaze beetle is suffering knockdown, does it still have to spend an action point to get up... or can it just burrow on its activation to get rid of knockdown?
A - A model suffering knockdown must spend 1 action point before it can do anything."

Thanks

There have been a few rules changes along the way. So things sometimes conflict. I try my best to remove old things when new things are announced, but I sometimes miss some :(

*Old one removed, post if you find any others =p

March 23rd, 2014, 3:20 pm
Ninja Corps

@Chibi Noki - in the OP the question if stealth applies for additional targets in a blast is answered twice in the topic AOE and the body bag ruling needs to be removed from the loot section.

March 23rd, 2014, 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Götz Kirchhauser wrote:
@Chibi Noki - in the OP the question if stealth applies for additional targets in a blast is answered twice in the topic AOE and the body bag ruling needs to be removed from the loot section.

Fixed.

Not looking forward to all the rules that will change when updating to FK. Will be a pain to go through them all =p

March 23rd, 2014, 9:23 pm
Consul

chibi-noki wrote:
Götz Kirchhauser wrote:

Fixed.

Not looking forward to all the rules that will change when updating to FK. Will be a pain to go through them all =p

But also fun! 8-)

March 23rd, 2014, 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Is there a limit to the number of potions a hero can carry? I only ask because my players assumed it was one but I can't find that anywhere. Sorry for the probably extremely newbie question.

March 24th, 2014, 7:32 pm
Consul

Consuls_left_sock wrote:
Is there a limit to the number of potions a hero can carry? I only ask because my players assumed it was one but I can't find that anywhere. Sorry for the probably extremely newbie question.

The number they can carry is written on the potion icon. Check out the Ember Mage. She can carry 2!

March 24th, 2014, 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

I was drooling at the cards for Von Drakk(I'd have bought it but um.. base set is kinda needed to play so I'll buy it this week so while waiting I been translating the germen worded cards) Um Is that right?!?!? You can Spawn Werebat Von Drakk as a 8 bit monster???! Talk about serious overkill.

May 16th, 2014, 4:34 am
Profile YIM
Ninja Corps

WolfSpectre wrote:
I was drooling at the cards for Von Drakk(I'd have bought it but um.. base set is kinda needed to play so I'll buy it this week so while waiting I been translating the germen worded cards) Um Is that right?!?!? You can Spawn Werebat Von Drakk as a 8 bit monster???! Talk about serious overkill.

Shape shifting characters don't begin shape shifted, regardless, Nocturne/ Von Drakk are boss monsters so you have to wait like everyone else

May 16th, 2014, 5:15 am
Minion

Well it says 8 bit in the corner.

May 16th, 2014, 6:16 am
Profile YIM
Mini-Boss

WolfSpectre wrote:
Well it says 8 bit in the corner.

It's a misprint most likely, but it doesn't really matter what it says in the corner as shapeshifts may only enter play through its previous model using the shapeshift ability.

Page 18:

Shapeshift
Models with the type shapeshift may only enter play as a result
of another model using an ability to transform to the shapeshift
model during the game. This new model is called a shapeshift
and will have its own card listing its new abilities.

May 16th, 2014, 12:27 pm
Mini-Boss

Just for clarification- if a model does not have a range attack, but does have Backlash, can they attack models at range via the Backlash?

E.g., The Barbarian has the Backlash activated. A Flingers that is five squares away rolls to hit and fails. Does the Flinger get killed by the Backlash?

July 3rd, 2014, 1:25 pm
Ninja Corps

Spazzfist wrote:
Just for clarification- if a model does not have a range attack, but does have Backlash, can they attack models at range via the Backlash?

E.g., The Barbarian has the Backlash activated. A Flingers that is five squares away rolls to hit and fails. Does the Flinger get killed by the Backlash?

yes - that's actually in the faq

July 3rd, 2014, 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Götz Kirchhauser wrote:
Spazzfist wrote:

A question about Backlash is in the FAQ, but not the same as the one that I am asking. The only question in the FAQ asks if Backlash only works during melee attacks, which is a different question altogether.

I can understand if a model with a range attack Backlashes against another ranged opponent, but I just want to be 100% clear that it also applies to models that do not have ranged attacks, such as described in my example.

July 3rd, 2014, 5:03 pm
Ninja Corps

Spazzfist wrote:
Götz Kirchhauser wrote:
Spazzfist wrote:

A question about Backlash is in the FAQ, but not the same as the one that I am asking. The only question in the FAQ asks if Backlash only works during melee attacks, which is a different question altogether.

I can understand if a model with a range attack Backlashes against another ranged opponent, but I just want to be 100% clear that it also applies to models that do not have ranged attacks, such as described in my example.

Obviously I don't understand your question. From what I read you want to know if backlash is good against ranged attacks of any kind. And yes it is.

FAQ wrote:
Q: Does the Backlash ability only affect melee combat?
A: No. It loves zapping, shooting, and burning ranged attackers too.

Which the above answers nicely. It works against ranged attackers. Backlash is independent of what type of attacks the defender is capable of normally. It just reflects the attack, regardless what kind it was.

Edit: Just to be clear, backlash is not an attack! If backlash takes effect, the attacker suffers the wound instead of the target he cannot defend against this (which he could if it were an attack).

July 3rd, 2014, 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Götz Kirchhauser wrote:
FAQ wrote:
Q: Does the Backlash ability only affect melee combat?
A: No. It loves zapping, shooting, and burning ranged attackers too.

Which the above answers nicely. It works against ranged attackers. Backlash is independent of what type of attacks the defender is capable of normally. It just reflects the attack, regardless what kind it was.

Edit: Just to be clear, backlash is not an attack! If backlash takes effect, the attacker suffers the wound instead of the target he cannot defend against this (which he could if it were an attack).

I disagree with you that the FAQ answers my question nicely, or even at all!

For example, I could be playing the Glimmerdusk Ranger and have Backlash granted to me. In this case The question could be asking whether the Ranger gets to activate Backlash whether the attack was from melee combat or ranged combat. In this case, the question is answered with the FAQ. The FAQ only really answers whether the source of the attack has to be melee.

My question was whether a character with no range attack at all (e.g., the Barbarian) gets hit does Backlash activate? If the attack is melee, then yes, obviously. But what about from range? How is the Barbarian stroking something that is out of her reach?

Putting the logistics of just how the attack is made aside, I believe you did answer my question at the end of your last post and I will accept that answer until a more formal ruling is made. Backlash always works when the defender beats the attack roll. Period. Got it.

July 3rd, 2014, 6:08 pm
Ninja Corps

Spazzfist wrote:
I disagree with you that the FAQ answers my question nicely, or even at all!

For example, I could be playing the Glimmerdusk Ranger and have Backlash granted to me. In this case The question could be asking whether the Ranger gets to activate Backlash whether the attack was from melee combat or ranged combat. In this case, the question is answered with the FAQ. The FAQ only really answers whether the source of the attack has to be melee.

My question was whether a character with no range attack at all (e.g., the Barbarian) gets hit does Backlash activate? If the attack is melee, then yes, obviously. But what about from range? How is the Barbarian stroking something that is out of her reach?

Putting the logistics of just how the attack is made aside, I believe you did answer my question at the end of your last post and I will accept that answer until a more formal ruling is made. Backlash always works when the defender beats the attack roll. Period. Got it.

Actually the relevant rules text on the card is pretty cut and dried:

If a model with Backlash exceeds an attack roll with their defense roll the attacker takes one wound.

The only reason this is in the FAQ at all is probably because of the confusion caused by the double use of the word attack - which is presumably the reason why the ATTACK stat gets replaced with the MELEE stat in the new rules.

However, rereading this make me want to ask if an attack with massive damage shouldn't cause two wound on backlash. It doesn't according to the letter of the rule, but shouldn't it? ;)

July 3rd, 2014, 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

You are right, the rules on the card are very cut and dry.

But I think that the confusion stems from imagining how a model with no range attack is able to kill something at range. At least, it is for me anyways.

In the case of something like Roxor it is easy to see how he dodges an attack and lashes out with a fireball or lava blasts. In the case of characters without range attacks, I will picture backlash as a kind of protective energy that surrounds the character and lashes out at those that seek to harm him/her.

July 3rd, 2014, 7:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next