View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2018, 9:48 am

Forum rules


Attention!
All rulings are considered unofficial until included in print or official errata and FAQ document.



Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 FAQ Overload - If its been asked, it's probably in here! 
Author Message
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: February 27th, 2013, 3:20 am
Posts: 601
Updated with all the answers. Just one question was misinterpreted and went unanswered :(

And one iffy ruling, I need to check burrows and knockdowns' wording when I get off work before commenting further.


November 1st, 2013, 3:38 pm
Profile
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: February 11th, 2014, 4:03 pm
Posts: 3
Really stupid question...

I did a search for this, and it didn't come up with any specific results. Real quick:

Do "Stealth" and "Smoke" stack? They're sorta two different things that grant the same buff now. Two DEX rolls worth of stars that could potentially adjust you out of the range of an attacker?

I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else that I can't seem to find. :-/


February 12th, 2014, 6:54 am
Profile
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: February 13th, 2013, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1320
Location: Germany
No, they are not different things. Smoke grants stealth. If the model already has stealth smoke does nothing for it.


February 12th, 2014, 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: January 22nd, 2014, 10:28 pm
Posts: 17
Quote:
Ruling that no one agrees with and are seeking reversal =p
Q - Can a model use Burrow to remove Knockdown, and thus not lose an action point?
A - Yes. You may Burrow to remove Knockdown.
(Knockdown prevents all actions, burrow is an action and therefore should be prevented.)


I dont understand why you would disagree with it as burrow says it removes all status effects and therefor removes knockdown.
And wh are you interpret burrow as an action? Burrow usally stands as an models "always active" abilities that does not require any action points to be used and therefor you can use burrow without taking an action to stand up and remove the knockdown. Burrow says "Instead of moving normally" so I would not interpret Burrow as an action and therefor you can burrow even if knocked down?
But if people dont see the logic in that I hope we get some more official update so all stop diagrees with it :D


February 18th, 2014, 12:58 am
Profile
Consul
User avatar

Joined: June 20th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Knockdown
A model or ability with Knockdown places a Knockdown counter
on any model it damages. A model suffering Knockdown may not
move or perform any other action until it spends one action point
to remove the counter and stand up.

May not move or perform any other action pretty much translates as; May not do ANYTHING...
Burrow is a special kind of movement you do instead of normal moving. It IS a form of moving none the less. I mean... It moves from one place to another...
Also it's not something that's resolved in the "start-of-turn-phase" like fire,tough etc; you can do it in the middle or end of your turn if you'd like (If it were I'd agree with this ruling).

So by this logic this ruling goes against how many of us understand how the rules work.
There seems to be no reason the Burrowers can suddenly move around while knocked down.

Question though... Can you use burrow without moving? If your position is really perfect, but you wanna shake off statuses?

_________________
I'm Super Dungeon Excite!
Super Dungeon Explore Compendium


February 18th, 2014, 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: March 25th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Posts: 2378
you say no movement and no action "pretty much" means you can do nothing. That's key...pretty much. It's not do nothing. Burrowing isn't movement. It's a special ability that uses up a figures movement as a cost. This one does trans locate the figure, if the controller wants to, but it's still a special ability and not movement in the mechanical sense described in knockdown.

As a somewhat hyperbolic, hypothetical, example of this. If a figure had an ability that read "instead of moving normally you may heal a damage on this figure" (Disclaimer: I don't have the fire beetle text in front of me, but this example is intended to be worded the same as burrowing) this healing wouldn't be movement. It's a special ability that supplants movement. It's a little easier to sort of wrap ones brain around when the supplanting ability is something wholly different than movement instead of something that mimics it's effects, but in a different way. This healing is no different than burrow, and there's no reason knockdown should prevent it.


February 18th, 2014, 10:23 am
Profile
Consul
User avatar

Joined: June 20th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
But then that ability would STILL be something you actively have to do. It's not something that happens passively.
It's worded "instead of moving normally". This clearly states it happens during your activation, not at the beginning.
Barbarians "Tough" heals one heart passively at the start of her activation. No matter if you are knocked down or not. As it should.
For it to be able to remove knockdown, Burrow should have been worded "At the beginning of your activation place this model up to 6 squares away and remove all status effect counters"

I'm don't pretend to know what the SPM boys are thinking, but to me it seems that Knockdown is supposed to prevent all active decisions until the action point has been paid.
To be able to shake it off with an actively activated ability just defies logic.

If we RP a little, when knocked down you are sprawling helpless on the ground. You can't fight, cast spells or burrow. You have to get up first.

The point about burrow being movement is only one of the arguments why this ruling is wrong.

_________________
I'm Super Dungeon Excite!
Super Dungeon Explore Compendium


February 18th, 2014, 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: March 25th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Posts: 2378
It's not wrong though. it's wrong based on your assumptions that go beyond what the conditions says. The condition says, specifically, that it prevents movement and actions. That's a very specific list of what it prevents. Borrowing is not movement or actions. Knockdown doesn't prevent that. They are very specific terms in the game and are referred to very specifically. You can't assume that "can't move or take actions" equals "can do nothing until" and then predicate the entire argument based on that assumption.

That you're saying is "I believe knockdown should prevent anything from happening until it's gone, and the rule should be changed to conform to such". That's a valid argument for change, but not a valid argument for what is specifically stated as to what the effect currently does do. I'm all for saying a rule may not make sense, or might need to be changed. But even if that is the case, it doesn't make the rulings on it's unchanged state wrong. Just disagreeable to you.


February 18th, 2014, 7:35 pm
Profile
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: January 22nd, 2014, 10:28 pm
Posts: 17
I would love to hear from someone official about that the rulebook 1.5 up on sodapops website and the FAQ 1.6 up on Sodapops website says two diffrent things about timeout:

Rulebook 1.5 page 29 "Timeout" it says: After using all of the available models that were not in play, move any additional requires models that are in play to the new location to complete the summon. Remove any status effect or wound counters from their cards.

The FAQ 1.6 Timeout effects says: "Yes they retain any wounds or status effects they may have."

So which one is correct? I assume 1.6 sounds like the newer version but why do the updated rulebook and then answer an faq question diffrent from the rulebook? As the FAQ should only clear unclear things from the rulebook?
Has this been answered somewhere?


February 18th, 2014, 11:41 pm
Profile
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: January 22nd, 2014, 10:28 pm
Posts: 17
Usagi wrote:
It's not wrong though. it's wrong based on your assumptions that go beyond what the conditions says. The condition says, specifically, that it prevents movement and actions. That's a very specific list of what it prevents. Borrowing is not movement or actions. Knockdown doesn't prevent that. They are very specific terms in the game and are referred to very specifically. You can't assume that "can't move or take actions" equals "can do nothing until" and then predicate the entire argument based on that assumption.

That you're saying is "I believe knockdown should prevent anything from happening until it's gone, and the rule should be changed to conform to such". That's a valid argument for change, but not a valid argument for what is specifically stated as to what the effect currently does do. I'm all for saying a rule may not make sense, or might need to be changed. But even if that is the case, it doesn't make the rulings on it's unchanged state wrong. Just disagreeable to you.


Yeah this is why I have interpret burrow as to be used to clear all statys effects even knockdown. I mean if they lay on the ground they can start digging there. Unless they are on their back ofc :)


February 18th, 2014, 11:45 pm
Profile
Consul
User avatar

Joined: June 20th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
What it boils down to is the phrasing: "May not move or perform any actions..."

Perform "any actions" IS open to interpretation. It can mean:

"may not do anything that requires you to spend Action Points"
or
"May not do anything that requires any player input or decisions - aka that requires the player to take action"

Both are valid views.
Anyways... Lovestar asked why ppl disagreed with the ruling. This is the explanation.

_________________
I'm Super Dungeon Excite!
Super Dungeon Explore Compendium


February 19th, 2014, 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Employee
User avatar

Joined: March 12th, 2012, 11:27 pm
Posts: 759
Q - Can the Curse Coven Witch use her potion on any model in melee with a 'witch' in its name or title, or does the model have to be in melee with that particular Curse Coven Witch ?

A - Curse Coven Witch cannot share her potion. It must be the specific Curse Coven Witch.

Q - How does healer and luck work together ? e.g. the rogue benefiting from nourishing berries. (in which order are the effects applied)

A - Healer generates the extras, then Luck makes them what the player wants.

Q - Captain R's Treasure Black Spot says that 'when drawn a Hero must equip the card.' So if Captain R draws the card, does a Hero still have to equip it, does the Captain equip it, or does it get shuffled back into the deck ?

A - A Hero must equip it.

Q - Does Stealth work against the Death Spectre's Special Attack ? Or is the Range 1 indicator an unneeded part of the attack since he has no ranged attacks.

A - No. The next FAQ revision will adjust Stealth to reducing Range to a minimum of 1.

Q - Burrow (yup, still controversial). Can you go under walls ? Or must you count legal squares to your destination ? (Please be very, very, very specific when wording the answer ^_^)

A- Yes. Go under walls. Count the wall as though a square(s) were on it. The model must reappear in legal space. I realize this answer is fudging the letter of the rules.

Q - If a Hero uses the fighter's potion, Hero's Balm, and that Hero has stealth, does it get to make a stealth roll or not ?

A - No stealth roll. Range and LoS is determined by the original target. Hero's Balm only affects who makes the defense roll and suffers the final effects of the attack.

Q - Can we get a clarification as to what constitutes as an action (in reference to burrow for example)? Is it only things that require action points such as Attacks, Special Attacks, & Special Actions ? Or is it anything that requires player input, such as Special Abilities, Potions, Etc. ?

A - Actions are only things that use action points. Burrow is done in place of spending Speed to move.


Just a note. I am answering these based only on the questions not on the full discussions you've had. If you want to plead your case, because you think I just made a bone-head answer, I will examine the question more closely.

_________________
#Always Super


February 25th, 2014, 8:20 pm
Profile
Consul
User avatar

Joined: June 20th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
It's not always the game creators takes time to answer questions - But when they do, it's awesome and makes me feel valued as a customer and fan! :D
Thanks!

SPM_Deke wrote:
Q - Captain R's Treasure Black Spot says that 'when drawn a Hero must equip the card.' So if Captain R draws the card, does a Hero still have to equip it, does the Captain equip it, or does it get shuffled back into the deck ?

A - A Hero must equip it.


So... who gets to decide who equips it? The heroes or the consul who actually drew the card?

_________________
I'm Super Dungeon Excite!
Super Dungeon Explore Compendium


February 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Employee
User avatar

Joined: March 12th, 2012, 11:27 pm
Posts: 759
Goblin-King wrote:
It's not always the game creators takes time to answer questions - But when they do, it's awesome and makes me feel valued as a customer and fan! :D
Thanks!

SPM_Deke wrote:
Q - Captain R's Treasure Black Spot says that 'when drawn a Hero must equip the card.' So if Captain R draws the card, does a Hero still have to equip it, does the Captain equip it, or does it get shuffled back into the deck ?

A - A Hero must equip it.


So... who gets to decide who equips it? The heroes or the consul who actually drew the card?


Heroes may decide.

_________________
#Always Super


February 25th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Profile
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: February 13th, 2013, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1320
Location: Germany
Does this also mean that Captain R gets to draw a new treasure card or does he have to cope without a treasure card in this case?


February 25th, 2014, 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: January 22nd, 2014, 10:28 pm
Posts: 17
Lovestar wrote:
I would love to hear from someone official about that the rulebook 1.5 up on sodapops website and the FAQ 1.6 up on Sodapops website says two diffrent things about timeout:

Rulebook 1.5 page 29 "Timeout" it says: After using all of the available models that were not in play, move any additional requires models that are in play to the new location to complete the summon. Remove any status effect or wound counters from their cards.

The FAQ 1.6 Timeout effects says: "Yes they retain any wounds or status effects they may have."

So which one is correct? I assume 1.6 sounds like the newer version but why do the updated rulebook and then answer an faq question diffrent from the rulebook? As the FAQ should only clear unclear things from the rulebook?
Has this been answered somewhere?


Can we get an answer to the above on which one is correct?

Also me and my friends has always wondered and havent find any official answer on it:
- Which team choses their models first the Heroes or the Consul as either one gets an advantage of knowing what to face and therefor what to chose? Or are we suppose to chose both at the same time in secret?


February 28th, 2014, 4:51 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: February 27th, 2013, 3:20 am
Posts: 601
Lovestar wrote:
Lovestar wrote:
I would love to hear from someone official about that the rulebook 1.5 up on sodapops website and the FAQ 1.6 up on Sodapops website says two diffrent things about timeout:

Rulebook 1.5 page 29 "Timeout" it says: After using all of the available models that were not in play, move any additional requires models that are in play to the new location to complete the summon. Remove any status effect or wound counters from their cards.

The FAQ 1.6 Timeout effects says: "Yes they retain any wounds or status effects they may have."

So which one is correct? I assume 1.6 sounds like the newer version but why do the updated rulebook and then answer an faq question diffrent from the rulebook? As the FAQ should only clear unclear things from the rulebook?
Has this been answered somewhere?


Can we get an answer to the above on which one is correct?

Also me and my friends has always wondered and havent find any official answer on it:
- Which team choses their models first the Heroes or the Consul as either one gets an advantage of knowing what to face and therefor what to chose? Or are we suppose to chose both at the same time in secret?



Both teams choose models at the same time.

And the 1.6 faq is probably wrong. As timeout models can be chosen from models not on the board and they would have full health. So if you were forced to move models still on the board they would be at a disadvantage vs. models not pulled from the board.


February 28th, 2014, 5:15 pm
Profile
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: February 13th, 2013, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1320
Location: Germany
I guess the FAQ answer has been carried over from the earlier Version of the FAQ which referred to the rulebook V1.2 accidentally.


February 28th, 2014, 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: January 22nd, 2014, 10:28 pm
Posts: 17
Quote:
Q: Is there a way to remove status effects on monsters?
A: Per the new errata Bosses and Mini-Bosses may remove a status effect when rolling a heart on the attack roll and successfully inflicting a wound. Minions and Denizens may not remove status effects unless they have a separate ability that allows them to do so.


This confused me a bit cause the rulebook 1.5 says that skull tokens can be used to remove status effects on monsters. Monsters sounds like minions and denizens to me.


March 3rd, 2014, 10:38 pm
Profile
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: February 27th, 2013, 3:20 am
Posts: 601
Lovestar wrote:
Quote:
Q: Is there a way to remove status effects on monsters?
A: Per the new errata Bosses and Mini-Bosses may remove a status effect when rolling a heart on the attack roll and successfully inflicting a wound. Minions and Denizens may not remove status effects unless they have a separate ability that allows them to do so.


This confused me a bit cause the rulebook 1.5 says that skull tokens can be used to remove status effects on monsters. Monsters sounds like minions and denizens to me.


The skull tokens are in addition to that rule. The rules changed a bit to allow for bosses and mini-bosses to heal with hearts, and the question was probably specific to non skull token situations.

Updated with a more clear wording.


March 4th, 2014, 1:48 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.