View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 17th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Forum rules

Attention!
All rulings are considered unofficial until included in print or official errata and FAQ document.

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 FAQ Overload - If its been asked, it's probably in here! 
Bottle Cap

thetang22 wrote:
lus123 wrote:
Q - (Potion) = Burning Bloom: All non-special attacks made by the affected Hero gain "Range 6, Fire". Can this combo with Barbarian Berzerk, for 4x Range 6, Fire attacks?

No, but she can make
"3x Range 6, Fire" and "1x melee attack with fire"
because Berserk only provide "a single melee attack"
Quote:
If a model possess a ranged effect special ability and uses it to
make the attack then this attack is called a ranged attack.
If the model does not possess a ranged effect special ability or chooses not to use it, then
they may only make a basic attack against a model in an adjacent square. This is called
a melee attack.

if you use Range 6 effect , it's not a melee attack.
so , I think Barbarian can only do "3x Range 6, Fire" and "one single melee attack with fire"
if she had Burning Bloom.

Hi Lus123, welcome to the forum. Let me help explain how this specific scenario works. Generally, specific rulings on cards will always supercede the rulings in the rulebook, or the rulings of other cards/models they are affecting. In this case:

- the Barbarian starts with 3 actions points
- next, because of Berserk, she is given 1 additional action point that can only be spent to make a basic attack
- lastly, the Burning Bloom applies it's affect over the top of the extra attack, allowing it to then be a basic ranged attack.

The part about the Burning Bloom turning the attacks into ranged attacks supercedes the limitation of being a melee attack, set by Berserk.

Had another ability said "the additional action point provided by Berserk may be spent on special attacks or special actions"...then that would supercede that portion of Berserk.

Hello thetang22

I don't think Berserk ability give Barbarian 1 additional action point to make a basic attack.
(or it give 1 additional action point to make a basic melee attack)

Quote:
Berserk : During its activation a model with Berserk may make a single melee attack costing no action points.
(by text on card)

and Burning Bloom allow affected model do a basic attack with "range X , fire".

May be melee attack is basic attack.
But when a attack use "range X" , it become ranged attack.

I think it could apply "fire" (but not "range X" ) to Berserk's attack,
because use one or both "fire" "range X" ability is option ,right?
(Just like flinger could use hot pot with att attribute , make a melee attack with 2B + fire)

(I don't think Burning Bloom can overwrite Berserk's attack from melee attack to ranged attack)

April 4th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Mini-Boss

Lus, you're just mincing words. For the Barbarian a basic attack IS a melee attack. Burning bloom states all non-special attacks gain range/fire. Her melee attack is a non-special attack. Therefore when affected by Burning Bloom all of her melee attacks become range 6, fire.

April 4th, 2013, 9:20 pm
Bottle Cap

Thank's Exeltus, I just have a little confuse that why they use "may make a single melee attack" rather than "may make a single basic attack".

Because "basic attack" is new key word that was defined in errata 1.5?

April 4th, 2013, 9:34 pm
Dungeon Boss

Yeah, Exeltus said what I meant....he just said said it better than me!

The part that I was trying to emphasize is the concept that the extra attack is superceded by the Bloom Flower text. I just explained it incorrectly...quite badly, to be honest!

April 4th, 2013, 9:41 pm
Denizen

lus123 wrote:
Thank's Exeltus, I just have a little confuse that why they use "may make a single melee attack" rather than "may make a single basic attack".

Because "basic attack" is new key word that was defined in errata 1.5?

Basic attack is actually used in the core rulebook. What Burning Bloom states is that it affects non-special attacks. Special attacks have a specific definition in the rulebook as being an attack denoted by a red button. Thus non-special attacks are in fact basic attacks. The confusion with Berserk is that it doesn't allow the Barbarian to make any basic attack, rather it specifically allows the Barbarian to make a melee attack, which while being a basic attack is a specific type of basic attack. Thus Burning Bloom does not seem like it should effect the bonus attack the Barbarian gets from berserk as berserk requires the bonus attack to be melee and Burning Bloom changes the attack into range.

April 4th, 2013, 11:18 pm
Bottle Cap

Kirenx wrote:
Basic attack is actually used in the core rulebook. What Burning Bloom states is that it affects non-special attacks. Special attacks have a specific definition in the rulebook as being an attack denoted by a red button. Thus non-special attacks are in fact basic attacks. The confusion with Berserk is that it doesn't allow the Barbarian to make any basic attack, rather it specifically allows the Barbarian to make a melee attack, which while being a basic attack is a specific type of basic attack. Thus Burning Bloom does not seem like it should effect the bonus attack the Barbarian gets from berserk as berserk requires the bonus attack to be melee and Burning Bloom changes the attack into range.

That's exactly my confusion point, berserk make the bonus attack is a non-special attack.
(since it doesn't be denoted by a red button)
So, Burning Bloom could effect that.(Burning Bloom: All non special attacks made by ...)
But the berserk ability requires the bonus attack to be melee.

If the Barbarian's bonus attack possess a "Range 8" and uses it, the attack won't be a melee attack anymore.

Is berserk's bonus attack legal even if it become a ranged attack?

By the way, if I chooses not to use the "range 8", the bonus attack still possess a "Fire" special ability, maybe Barbarian could make a bonus attack with "Fire" in combination with Berserk and Burning Bloom.

(reference : Errata 1.5 Page 10)

April 5th, 2013, 7:43 am
Dungeon Boss

lus123 wrote:
That's exactly my confusion point, berserk make the bonus attack is a non-special attack.
So, Burning Bloom could effect that.(Burning Bloom: All non special attacks made by ...)

All I can do is refer back to the point I made earlier. When a new affect is applied to a hero/ability (Burning Bloom), the new affect supercedes the limitations set by the original affect (Berserk).

April 5th, 2013, 2:50 pm
Denizen

lus123 wrote:
Kirenx wrote:

If the Barbarian's bonus attack possess a "Range 8" and uses it, the attack won't be a melee attack anymore.

Is berserk's bonus attack legal even if it become a ranged attack?

By the way, if I chooses not to use the "range 8", the bonus attack still possess a "Fire" special ability, maybe Barbarian could make a bonus attack with "Fire" in combination with Berserk and Burning Bloom.

(reference : Errata 1.5 Page 10)

The answer is: We don't have an official answer. I would say Berserk is not legal if the attack is not melee, and as Burning Bloom specifically alters the attack and not the hero, Berserk would no longer function. Others have a different take on this. Without an official answer it is up to you to pick what you feel best balances and works within you games. Personally, I would contend the Barbarian is strong enough without giving her any unneeded bonuses.

April 5th, 2013, 10:44 pm
Dungeon Boss

Kirenx wrote:
it is up to you to pick what you feel best balances and works within you games.

This is great advice. One of the biggest things to remember about SDE - it's not some big tournament scene sorta game. The rules are in place, but if something doesn't work for you, simply change it so that it does. Don't let a little confusion within the rules prevent you from having fun.

April 5th, 2013, 11:14 pm
Mini-Boss

thetang22 wrote:
Kirenx wrote:
it is up to you to pick what you feel best balances and works within you games.

This is great advice. One of the biggest things to remember about SDE - it's not some big tournament scene sorta game. The rules are in place, but if something doesn't work for you, simply change it so that it does. Don't let a little confusion within the rules prevent you from having fun.

Very much seconding this!

April 6th, 2013, 12:04 am
Bottle Cap

I wanted to bump this in light of the new 1.5 digital manual.
There are a few FAQ threads on here, but the original post in this one has been maintained well and consolidates many of the others.

DT

May 6th, 2013, 4:03 pm
Mini-Boss

Updated: Added a couple recently answered questions by deke from other forums posts.

May 10th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Mini-Boss

Updated with a few more questions.

Where is Deke....

August 21st, 2013, 8:03 pm
Moderator Ninja

chibi-noki wrote:

Where is Deke....

Pretty sure he is locked in a closet to work on The Forgotten King.

August 21st, 2013, 8:03 pm
Mini-Boss

Jestor wrote:
chibi-noki wrote:

Where is Deke....

Pretty sure he is locked in a closet to work on The Forgotten King.

He said he would answer these questions over 3 months ago T_T

I hope they are at least feeding him... maybe someone should check on him >.>

August 21st, 2013, 8:12 pm
Denizen

To add to the Pounce section.

Q: Can you start and finish a Pounce in the same space? (i.e. Make a 0 Square Pounce)
A: Yes, you can pounce in the same square.

I got this from Deke via email today.

August 26th, 2013, 7:06 pm
Mini-Boss

fen wrote:
To add to the Pounce section.

Q: Can you start and finish a Pounce in the same space? (i.e. Make a 0 Square Pounce)
A: Yes, you can pounce in the same square.

I got this from Deke via email today.

Added.

August 26th, 2013, 7:22 pm
Moderator Ninja

Just a heads up, I talked to Deke. He will be turning his attention to this thread as soon as he can. He is working on compiling some rulings for you all!

August 27th, 2013, 1:46 am
Mini-Boss

Thanks Jester, much appreciated!

August 27th, 2013, 1:47 am
Moderator Ninja

Everything should now be current to here - SDE FAQ PDF v1.6

November 1st, 2013, 2:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next