View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 18th, 2018, 4:25 am

Forum rules

Attention!
All rulings are considered unofficial until included in print or official errata and FAQ document.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 When is a square not a square? 
Minion

I had a little 3 hero game of Super dungeon explore today, I wanted to try out my new boards and the new power/loot tracker.
I used the Druid, the Fire mage, and the Elf ranger. They got whupped again, then again the consul got +1 grey to ATT which was pretty nasty, the druid rushed into the horde whilst the mage went off to the other side of the tile to get the treasure chest.

However whilst playing I noticed something, something I hadn't thought of before, and yet it is written.
For example Fly allows a model to ignore things in squares (like models and effects) fair enough, but a wall, or a great whopping hole isn't a square !!
So those little dragon things can't fly over the abyss in that crystal dungeon bridge tile thingy, they can't fly over walls either !

Then another thing, obviously appeared, a model can't shoot over the abyss either. No squares = no shooting (magic x, range x or missile x)

I was taken aback by this "discovery" and also how fun the crystal dungeon tiles are to play on. (We always went for the lava or ordinary tiles)

September 25th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Denizen

Actually I've been kind of annoyed by this for quite some time. That cavern tile with the bridges and you can't shoot across them. Ugh. There needs to be rules for 'open squares' where you can't stop unless you can fly and you can see across. Would make the flying dragons more useful and allow starfire to fight from an area where only a ranged attacker can get to her.

It also sucks that if/when we get a ghost mod that unless there's some really carefully worded rules involved they won't be able to go through those walls.

September 25th, 2012, 8:17 pm
Minion

My main issue, is with the fact that diagonal movement is so easy, the squares in the lava tile or the difficult terrain in the cave tiles, are so easy to avoid, its rarely worth even considering using fly.

We tried a couple of games where you could not draw Line of Sight through monsters, to see if it that slowed the hero’s down. The exception to this was if you were flying, you could see "over them".

That was a rather cool little trial and it made it much harder for the heroes, it also made fly feel tactical and important.

September 25th, 2012, 9:09 pm
Minion

The first games we played were using space hulk V1 LoS rules. In short; you can't see through anything.
It was a blast for both sides with much LoS blocking going on, but it was harder on the heroes.

I wonder if I might write up some house rules for a much harder version of SDE, again with SHv1 style LoS, no diagonal movement or attacks, shooting only at range (or diagonals) magic 8 becomes magic 6, etc.

September 25th, 2012, 9:47 pm
Consul

SDE movement is a bit wierd, like squeezing a model through a diagonal between a pillar and a corner. or diagonally between two enemy models.

And then LOS from any point of shooter's square to target, when most games use center-to-center for LOS. Not intuitive, but that's just how the game goes.

September 26th, 2012, 12:10 am
Minion

Try it with space hulk v1 LoS and movement; it changes the game. It's like finishing the game, and unlocking hard mode.
Nightmare mode is where spawn points are indestructible...

September 26th, 2012, 9:21 am
Ninja Corps

Actually I find a lot of games that utilize grid maps now use corner to corner LOS just like SDE. If you can draw LOS from any corner of you square to the enemies you have LOS, a variant on this is Corner of your square to 2 of your opponents. I let people shoot over the bridge, we guesstimate the squares.

September 26th, 2012, 9:42 am
Minion

Star wars miniatures used a nice method; if you could draw an uninterrupted line from any corner of your model's square to all four corners of the target square, then you had LoS and no cover.
If all of the lines were blocked then no LoS
and if some of the lines were blocked, then you had LoS, but the target got cover.
Well it was something like that, as far as I can remember.
The thing is there is no cover in SDE ;)

September 26th, 2012, 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]