View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 9:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Quickstart Rules with a new player 
Denizen

I had an opportunity to get through 3 of the 4 games in the quickstart rules with a friend over the holiday weekend. I referred my friend to what was written in the quickstart rules as often as possible, though I did occasionally explain how a mechanic was expanded upon in the full rules (after comprehension was confirmed).

Concerns as follows:

- Tahariel has Drain, but Drain is not defined in any section of of the quickstart packet. It should be included with the new abilities in Game 3, when she is introduced.
- Impair and Bolster are not defined in the quickstart, and should be mentioned at some point to avoid confusion (Either to ignore them and look them up later, or to simply explain that they are timing keywords, or to give their full definition.)
- There are no rules mentioning how to interact with terrain. Either add a line instructing players to treat terrain as impassible/uninhabitable, or add the rules for moving over terrain (low walls) and climbing onto top of crates. (The former is my vote, it keeps LoS simple and makes Fly worthwhile).
- The concept of cover being explained in the quickstart rules makes sense, as it is a core concept (especially with protection being inherent to all terrain) and part of the total LoS rules, but there's no real reason for it to be in the quickstart rules as written - my friend found it confusing that there was a rule for cover, but no application for the rule in the quickstart.
- The question came up of what to do with being pulled into a wall, and I was unable to find a passage that answered that in the quickstart rules.
- I know there are notes for diagrams to be added, but I cannot stress enough how important they will be, as I used the 1.5 rulebook to show the diagram for determining LoS.
- It might be worth adding suggested strategies for each match (or at least game 2), my friend was playing Void and kept using hit and run tactics to try and take on Ms Kaylee instead of engaging, putting himself at a severe disadvantage given the power imbalance of the ranged/psychic attacks.
- "Engagement has no effect on psychic attacks" isn't as clear as "You may use psychic attacks against any target you have LoS to, regardless of Engagement status."
- As we were running low on time, I simply explained the scoring system and AoEs during game 3, we did not play game 4.
- I still advocate for a list of mechanics that were not covered to be included at the end, so that new players know what reading to focus on. (Advanced LoS/Terrain Rules, Collateral Damage,

Overall, my friend did grasp the core concepts and enjoyed the gameplay. The text is a little dense, though I'm willing to bet that formatting and images will help with that aspect.

September 6th, 2017, 9:11 pm
Employee

"The concept of cover being explained in the quickstart rules makes sense, as it is a core concept (especially with protection being inherent to all terrain) and part of the total LoS rules, but there's no real reason for it to be in the quickstart rules as written - my friend found it confusing that there was a rule for cover, but no application for the rule in the quickstart."

What do you mean here?

No application of it?

Email: justin.gibbs@ninjadivision.com

September 8th, 2017, 6:59 pm
Denizen

ND_Justin wrote:
"The concept of cover being explained in the quickstart rules makes sense, as it is a core concept (especially with protection being inherent to all terrain) and part of the total LoS rules, but there's no real reason for it to be in the quickstart rules as written - my friend found it confusing that there was a rule for cover, but no application for the rule in the quickstart."

What do you mean here?

No application of it?

:oops: It seems we overlooked the section directly below cover, indicating that for the quickstart, cover always granted 2 armor. Please then ignore this point.

September 8th, 2017, 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]