View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11th, 2017, 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Relaunch: Way of the Fighter is back on Kickstarter! 
Denizen

Way of the Fighter is back on Kickstarter!

Way of the Fighter is an expandable card game by Benjamin Yamada that pits two fighters against one another in an arena,
with a theme reminiscent of classic arcade-style fighting games. Each player manages their fighter’s movements, actions,
health, and energy to achieve victory. The game is quick and involves bluffing, resource management, knowledge of each
fighter's style, and sharp tactical decisions.

Way of the Fighter returns to Kickstarter with all new pledge levels designed just for you!

You asked, and we listened adding more miniatures and more exciting unlocks.

Visit the Kickstarter page today, to see all of the great contents and pledge!

The Card Fighter pledge is perfect for card gamers. It includes both the Super and Turbo editions, the Kickstarter Exclusive Blazing Soul Candy
and ND-2000 fighter decks, and will include all card-based stretch goals; such as new fighter decks and alternate art cards.

The Miniature Fighter pledge is for miniature collectors who want to replace their standees with Soda Pop’s deluxe resin miniatures.
It includes both the Super and Turbo editions, the Kickstarter Exclusive Blazing Soul Candy and ND-2000 fighter decks, high-quality
resin miniatures for 10 different fighters, and will include all card-based stretch goals AND all miniature-based stretch goals; such as
new fighter decks, alternate art cards, and expansion fighter miniatures.

SHOW YOUR FIGHTER’S SPIRIT AND PLEDGE TODAY!

November 28th, 2016, 8:02 pm
Minion

Just posting some thoughts on the WoTF game system from what I have read. Please correct me if I have made some wrong assumptions. I approach this game having played extensively in the past 2D and 3D fighting video games and looking at Way of the Fighter as something to play with nephews/nieces. I also have some experience playing the board/card fighting game Yashima, which I think share some similarities to Way of the Fighter. Since this game has been compared to the Yomi card game and the BattleCon board/card game, I took some time to read up about both of them.

1. WoTF has a large amount of customization available for your fighters = Each fighter deck has a specific set of action cards unique to that fighter + 4 additional general action card sets (technique packs) that he/she can pick based on their character overall fighting style. So far, not including Candy and ND-2000, there are 18 fighters and 28 general technique packs revealed. That is a great deal of modularity, with each fighter having a choice of 10-18 technique packs to customize their fighting deck with. This is somewhat similar to Yashima where you have the fighter specific cards combined with another set of cards (Kami) to make up your deck. Both games, including Yomi, have a certain randomness based on what you draw. BattleCon have less random factor with how their recycle, discard piles work.

2. Dice in WoTF is slightly abstract way to represent both executing/inputting your action faster than opponent or using an "EX" / powered up version of an action; therefore, allowing it to have more priority over opposing player's action. As a fighter's health gets depleted, dices are added to the player's dice pools seems to act as a "comeback mechanism" of certain fighting games.

3. The actions chosen and the resolution of them from the previous turn dictates whether a player is in an advantageous/disadvantageous situation (increase or decreases one's dice pool) for the next turn. A successful block using lots of dice would return some of the dices used back to the energy pool. This would likely give the successful defender at an advantageous position in the next turn. "Chipped" damage taken from a "successful" block also increases the energy pool.

4. Except for the randomness of drawing actions, the game seems to capture the feeling of spacing, positioning, and game mechanics of 2D fighting video games fairly well. For me, what makes fighting games fun was the speed guessing game aspect. One of my favorite games, Virtua Fighter, have game rounds that typically last 30 seconds. Some way to add time limit to force players to have to make quick decisions would better capture the feel of those games...I think I will have to try playing WoTF game with a chess clock or stop watch.

5. Tag Mode reminds me of the Capcom Versus series. Is it possible to add a 3 on 3 King of Fighters type of mode in the rule book?

December 2nd, 2016, 7:23 am
Bottle Cap

You are pretty much are correct on all points, for the 3v3, the tag team are 2v2 but you can use them for 3v3 quite easily,

December 2nd, 2016, 11:02 pm
Bottle Cap

Who is Brahm ? He was not expected during the campaign ... and where is Ying Pei ? Does Brahm replace Ying Pei ?

Regards

March 4th, 2017, 9:23 am
Minion

Brahm is one of the optional fighter packs.

March 4th, 2017, 9:49 am
Ninja Corps

Yeah, he's in the Brahm vs. Cobalt Fighter Pack, it's a $15 add-on that comes with the minis. Benjamin Yamada posted some spoilers on his Twitter.

March 6th, 2017, 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]