View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 1:49 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Way of the Fighter is Live! 
Denizen

Way of the Fighter is now on Kickstarter!

Way of the Fighter is an expandable card game by Benjamin Yamada that pits two fighters against one another in an arena, with a theme reminiscent of classic arcade-style fighting games. Each player manages their fighter’s movements, actions, health, and energy to achieve victory. The game is quick and involves bluffing, resource management, knowledge of each fighter's style, and sharp tactical decisions.

Back Now!

November 9th, 2016, 8:56 pm
Denizen

Looks interesting.

Each deck comes with the maximum copies of cards in that deck yeah? (From my quick skim it looks like 2?) so we won't need multiple core sets to get full copies of any given card or anything like that?

November 9th, 2016, 10:14 pm
Denizen

Also how will this
exclusives policy wrote:
All exclusives will have their rules published on the Ninja Division website, so that players may use them if they wish.

Work with Candy's cards? Because printed copies won't work too well when added to a real deck.

November 9th, 2016, 10:46 pm
Ninja Corps

Am I the only one who wants to paint Zakkadia like Mr. Popo?

November 9th, 2016, 10:53 pm
Bottle Cap

Huh, hadn't noticed the KS exclusivity on my first glance at the campaign. Well that's a shame, I've really respected SPM for resisting the temptation of exclusives in their crowd funding efforts. I was sorely tempted to back this as it looks fun and interesting but that's made up my mind :(. It does worry me slightly that if there is ever a 3rd SDE campaign, KS exclusives may worm their way in there too. If that were the case I'd stop supporting SPM altogether.

Anyways, WOTF looks good and being half way to funding already I'm sure it'll be a big success. Good luck SPM and fingers crossed backers get a great game delivered to them.

November 10th, 2016, 12:20 am
Mini-Boss

So has anyone else heard of a game called Battlecon by Level99 games? I'm sure comparisons will be made, as the two games are both trying to emulate 2D fighting games. I'm not interested in WotF myself, as the art style doesn't really appeal to me. I watched the tutorial and gameplay videos though to see what the game was about. First thought is that all the dice seem like it will slow down the game. Too much math to figure out the priority each turn. In Battlecon it's simpler where you just combine two numbers, no variables. I wonder if anyone else had the same comparison. Still looks cool though, just not my cup of tea.

November 10th, 2016, 2:12 am
Mini-Boss

Boring, tedious and complicated version of Karate Fight. I pass it away. :?

“Our patience will achieve more than your force.” - Edmund Burke

November 10th, 2016, 2:26 am
Denizen

I have to say it looks a pretty tedious game but thats just my taste also as a 2 player game it would never hit the table.

November 10th, 2016, 3:45 am
Mini-Boss

Tedious is the word I was looking for. To me it seems like it is trying to cram every aspect of a video game into a board game. I mean, you have to take some liberties when making that transition, as some concepts just won't work with pen, paper, and dice. Still I'll keep watching and see how it goes. I'm hoping for no Super Dungeon Explore crossover exclusives....

November 10th, 2016, 4:17 am
Denizen

eternaldream wrote:
Tedious is the word I was looking for. To me it seems like it is trying to cram every aspect of a video game into a board game. I mean, you have to take some liberties when making that transition, as some concepts just won't work with pen, paper, and dice. Still I'll keep watching and see how it goes. I'm hoping for no Super Dungeon Explore crossover exclusives....

I am going to print and play it and judge it off that, because I really struggle to watch Ninja Division gameplay videos without finding them tedious. They just always seem to be flat tone with no energy going through the steps, rather than actually playing. So it could just be a presentation issue.

November 10th, 2016, 6:11 am
Bottle Cap

Hi! I am the designer of the game, sorry I did not see that the Way of the Fighter forum was live already!

Nithrock wrote:
Each deck comes with the maximum copies of cards in that deck yeah? (From my quick skim it looks like 2?) so we won't need multiple core sets to get full copies of any given card or anything like that?

Yes, I love FFG and LCG, but buying multiple core boxes annoys me, so we avoid doing that.

Bitt_Player wrote:
Am I the only one who wants to paint Zakkadia like Mr. Popo?

Great F***ing idea!

Nithrock wrote:
eternaldream wrote:

I am going to print and play it and judge it off that, because I really struggle to watch Ninja Division gameplay videos without finding them tedious. They just always seem to be flat tone with no energy going through the steps, rather than actually playing. So it could just be a presentation issue.

The gameplay video are fun but it is always hard to watch a game without having played it. Being at Blizzard, I love watching Hearthstone matches, but Heroes of the Storm is lost on me.

The game is certainly crunchier than BattleCon or Yomi, but it is not simulationist either. The main idea was to give it the feels of a fighting game but to introduce fun board game mechanic like resource management and risk-taking. I have tried really hard to keep the game under 30 minutes play, as I don't think two player game should take longer than that. Moreover it is can be played tag team 4 players, and this mode is designed to make sure all players are engage not only the on the arena.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

November 13th, 2016, 1:00 am
Denizen

Thanks for answering those questions. I will definitely try to play a game in the next few days.

Glad to hear you aren't going the FFG model for core sets.

Though enjoyable gameplay videos of games you have never played certainly exist (Watch it played, Rhado runs through, etc).

November 13th, 2016, 5:11 am
Bottle Cap

Please try it and gave me some feedback, thanks!

November 13th, 2016, 6:25 pm
Minion

The game does not interest me, but if I pledge 1$, does I will be able to purchase only the miniature?

November 14th, 2016, 9:08 pm
Ninja Corps

I'm assuming they'll do the normal setup of managing pledges through the Soda Pop store, in which case you'd be set. The miniatures are an optional purchase, two different five-packs (matching the fighters in the two core sets) for $30 each.

November 14th, 2016, 9:13 pm
Bottle Cap

The miniaturess have been unlocked, so you can pledge some $$$ to get them.

November 15th, 2016, 7:11 am
Bottle Cap

Was really looking forward to this but the game mechanics have killed it. Aesthetically a beautiful game, but it just needs to go back to the drawing board and be rethought out.
I can't see myself playing this at all now, the game is just too slow and tedious from its looks compared to other card games. I'll just pledge 1$ to keep up to date.

November 15th, 2016, 2:26 pm
Bottle Cap

EarthwormBen wrote:
Was really looking forward to this but the game mechanics have killed it.

I would be curious to know what was unappealing to you?

November 15th, 2016, 9:22 pm
Bottle Cap

Firstly I find the dice mechanic to be rather clumsy and really slows the game down. I'm also not a fan of the way the cards work with hit boxes on, it feels like the creator has tried to translate Street Fighter into a board game where your actions are controlled by cards, rather than it being primarily a card game.
If I'm honest I was looking at something along the lines of the street fighter card game or maybe one of Fantasy Flight Games card games

November 16th, 2016, 1:48 am
Bottle Cap

EarthwormBen wrote:
It feels like the creator has tried to translate Street Fighter into a board game where your actions are controlled by cards, rather than it being primarily a card game.

I think that this statement the goal with the board, dice and cards was indeed to make a board game rather than a card game. I am sorry that it is not what you are looking for. Thank you for the feedback.

November 16th, 2016, 6:13 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next