View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 24th, 2017, 12:42 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Way of the Fighter is Live! 
Bottle Cap

I can't really dispute that the creator had a board game in mind when creating the game.
Despite this though I will stand on what I said about the dice mechanic, with it being slow and clumsy, it seems to slow the game right down and is really what kills the immersion.

November 16th, 2016, 10:39 am
Ninja Corps

I had a chance to play with Ben coaching us, and it isn't as clunky as it looks. You have to remember too, that when someone is shooting a demo video, they are purposely playing slower in order to make the game more easily understood. The game itself is pretty enjoyable and when you have someone who knows what they are talking about walk you through the game, it is easier to get the core down. The game was pretty well balanced with me and my opponent coming down to within 1 health of each other before he ultimately won.

When you actually take the chance to play, it is easy to see how it will speed up once you get a couple of games under your belt.

November 16th, 2016, 5:24 pm
Bottle Cap

I'm not actually looking at the speed of the players but of the break down of play, the dice mechanic is slowing the games quite heavily. It's not something that is unique to this game, I think dice mechanics are a much slower system than say a hand or energy pool, and also the change in mechanics may not help in breaking immersion.
I'm not saying the game mechanics don't work, but for a system that is meant to replicate a fighting game, my number 1 priority would be a fluid and fast system.
I would honestly say a pure card based system, or another idea I had an idea how to speed up the dice mechanics, but it takes some of the random element away and I'm not sure how much the creator wants in the game.

If you want to see a great board game using a card mechanic then look at Clank! One of my favourite games at the moment

November 16th, 2016, 6:56 pm
Ninja Corps

There are fighting game-likes that are pure card games. It wouldn't work with Way of the Fighter's iniative / priority system, which requires a combination of risk and resource management. Removing the dice would mean playing your highest-priority attack is the only move worth making, or else demand a total restructuring of the rules.

November 16th, 2016, 8:06 pm
Bottle Cap

Yup pretty much. I have a cool idea, it's a bit too much effort to explain in text format.
The thing is the game isn't for me in its current form, I obviously not the only person who thinks this, but I am more vocal and I came here to express my opinions, hopefully the creator read some, as criticism is just as important as praise especially at this stage when tweaks could still be made.

November 16th, 2016, 8:38 pm
Denizen

EarthwormBen wrote:
hopefully the creator read some

Yoshikaz introduced himself as the designer in his first post, so I would assume he is Benjamin Yamada
Yoshikaz wrote:
Hi! I am the designer of the game, sorry I did not see that the Way of the Fighter forum was live already!

So it is a safe bet he read your feedback.

Son Of Menoth wrote:
I had a chance to play with Ben coaching us, and it isn't as clunky as it looks. You have to remember too, that when someone is shooting a demo video, they are purposely playing slower in order to make the game more easily understood.

My problem though is that there is an instructional video and TWO slow demo videos. There really needs to be a video that is a full speed playthrough by people who know the game, to give us an actual feel for the game, especially as they advertise them as "Then, to see full games in action, we have two complete gameplay videos", because those demo videso give the impression that the game will take an hour (including setup) and goes against the "quick" that they are advertising it as.

My issue isn't with the game or the rules, it is with the way the game is being presented. The demo games could have been 2 or 3 turns that were scripted so it gave a good overview of everything, the players wouldn't have to spend ages thinking about everything or how to explain stuff, and the video could be 10 minutes long.

November 17th, 2016, 12:41 am
Bottle Cap

I am indeed the designer for WotF, I understand that no game is for everybody and I welcome all feedback (dont worry I am getting plenty of criticism :D ).
The first play is usually about 1 hour. The playtest show at the 3rd play of the game, the play time including setup is below 30 min, The fastest play being 15 min and the longest being 60 min.

Like most game, the only way to truly understand the game intricacies is to play it.

November 17th, 2016, 1:11 am
Ninja Corps

Nithrock wrote:
Also how will this
exclusives policy wrote:
All exclusives will have their rules published on the Ninja Division website, so that players may use them if they wish.

Work with Candy's cards? Because printed copies won't work too well when added to a real deck.

Jumping back to this, what I hope is that they'll do something like the print-and-play prototype on the Kickstarter page. Stick some real cards in sleeves and slide the printouts in front of them. I used basic land cards from my ill-fated attempt to get back into Magic: The Gathering.

November 20th, 2016, 2:25 am
Denizen

Bitt_Player wrote:
Nithrock wrote:
Also how will this
exclusives policy wrote:
All exclusives will have their rules published on the Ninja Division website, so that players may use them if they wish.

Work with Candy's cards? Because printed copies won't work too well when added to a real deck.

Jumping back to this, what I hope is that they'll do something like the print-and-play prototype on the Kickstarter page. Stick some real cards in sleeves and slide the printouts in front of them. I used basic land cards from my ill-fated attempt to get back into Magic: The Gathering.

A lot of people prefer to play unsleeved (I am not one of them) so that won't work for them, on top of that, even with the real card placed behind it the proxied card is very slightly thicker than a real card due to the extra layer of paper and if you are trying it is fairly easy to pick them out of the deck.

November 22nd, 2016, 12:05 am
Ninja Corps

They also posted yesterday on the Kickstarter page that WotF won't be part of this online availability of exclusive cards thing, so it's a no-go anyway.

I am really, really not happy about that. I mean, I'm never gonna use ND-2000 or Blazing Soul Candy except for playing with other backers, because if the other player wishes to add them to his collection, well, that's not a conversation I'm willing to have.

November 22nd, 2016, 2:55 pm
Denizen

Bitt_Player wrote:
They also posted yesterday on the Kickstarter page that WotF won't be part of this online availability of exclusive cards thing, so it's a no-go anyway.

I am really, really not happy about that. I mean, I'm never gonna use ND-2000 or Blazing Soul Candy except for playing with other backers, because if the other player wishes to add them to his collection, well, that's not a conversation I'm willing to have.

Mmm well there goes any motivation for me to back this.

If they want it to be "expandable" in the sense of FFG LCGs or even a TCG style, then kickstarter exclusives mean that they can't have organised play (tournaments and whatnot), or if they do then the exclusives have to be banned, at which point they become kind of silly anyway. This seems like the worst project they could've chosen to do KS exclusives on.

Also this doesn't bode well for Relic Knights's coming kickstarter.

November 23rd, 2016, 4:32 am
Ninja Corps

I've been pretty down about Soda Pop bowing to the squealing weirdos who can't bring themselves to back a Kickstarter unless it gives them significant game content that will never be available to anyone else. It's an inditement of the state of crowdfunding that WotF has two Kickstarter-exclusive characters and there are people complaining that there isn't enough exclusivity.

November 23rd, 2016, 4:56 pm
Ninja Corps

I am getting annoyed with all of the people complaining on the Comments section because "the KS isn't exactly what they think it should be" or "it doesn't have enough free exclusives"... Its been nothing but negative comments all day and I feel like it is contributing to the drop in pledges today, between the holiday, Black Friday and KD2, it is starting to feel a little grim... If it does have the misfortune of failing, I hope they bring it back soon.

November 23rd, 2016, 9:20 pm
Denizen

Son Of Menoth wrote:
If it does have the misfortune of failing, I hope they bring it back soon.
It is back now. Way of the Fighter has been relaunched.

I am locking this thread. Please direct any conversation regarding the relaunch to the new relaunch thread.

November 28th, 2016, 8:05 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2