View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 14th, 2017, 3:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Sell me on the rules set 
Mini-Boss

Ok, I watched the kickstarter, and I decided that I might get into the game if they made all of the characters as chibis (that's just how I roll).

So, it turns out that I might get into this game. What can people tell me about how the game will play? What are other games like it, and what does it do that is unique to WotF?

March 22nd, 2017, 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

The rules of this board/card game reminds me greatly of 2D fighting video games from the 90s made by Capcom and SNK. The logic on how the cards/dice/board are implemented are very similar to the game system of 2D fighting games...such as crouching, jumping, standing, block chip damage, projectiles, and combos. So if you have nostalgia or fondness of 2D fighting games, this might be of interest to you. There is a large amount of customization for the 22 fighters, so there should not be an issue of not enough content/variety for a very long time.

Other games similar to WoTF that is out includes - Yashima, Yomi, and BattleCon. BattleCon seems to have the last randomness. For me, WoTF seems to implement the feel of 2D fighters the best (which does not necessarily means it plays better than those games. a matter of preference imho).

The main issue I have with this game and most board/card games that try to recapitulate fighting video games, is not having the requirement of making quick decisions. For me, I found that aspect to be a very important fun factor for those type of video games. After getting used to the rules, I have tried playing the game with a timer. Once one player places his card and decides on number of dices, he or she starts the timer forcing the other opponent to make a decision before time runs out. Failure to do, means the other player card will always "win." So far that have made the game more fun for us.

Another issue is that after the starting hand (which you have control of what cards you pick), there is randomness based on what cards you draw. Which seems somewhat strange for a fighting video game, but is normal for many fighting card games.

It appears only 11 of the 22 characters have a chibified version - Candy and the original 10 fighters in the Super or Turbo boxes.

Edit: I wrote this from my first impressions of the game - viewtopic.php?f=51&t=12742#p84860

March 22nd, 2017, 7:26 pm
Mini-Boss

Don't worry about my ability to play with all chibis- I'm very good with conversions.

March 22nd, 2017, 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

odinsgrandson wrote:
Don't worry about my ability to play with all chibis- I'm very good with conversions.

Then there is a Print and Play version downloadable from the Kickstarter campaign. Quite a bit to print, but it would be the best way to try it out for yourself. The last I heard the rulebook was going through some changes to be easier to comprehend. There is a bit of you go, I go, then both play simultaneously.

March 23rd, 2017, 3:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]