View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 18th, 2018, 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Super Kingdom Death Explore! 
Mini-Boss

There's no doubt that the Phoenix is the great centerpiece of the core Kingdom Death board game. It is a massive, twisted and brilliantly detailed mini.

For my own set, I've decided to follow Super Dungeon Explore logic- as the creatures get larger, they also become less chibi. This follows the way that old videogames would work (good examples are Final Fantasy or Pokemon- proportions become less chibi as the characters get larger).

Also, the mini already has a massive head in comparison to its body. Ultimately, I decided to simply change the face instead of rearranging the whole thing.

But my pics were too big for the forum... so here's a link instead

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/Kingdom-Death/Chibified-Phoenix.jpg

Inside you can see how the human face inside the mouth has been replaced with a chibi face. More subtly, the other eyes on the phoenix have been re-scupted to be a little larger.

August 29th, 2017, 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

crazy awesome paint job on that pheonix (have yet to assemble either one of mine) and the face looks like it was always meant to be there. I think it even manages to make it a little more creepy, like they guy is wearing the bird as a suit and has gigantic hands.

any shots of it next to the twilight knight?

August 29th, 2017, 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I think my wife has taken a few photos while we were playing, but I don't have any size comparison shots right now.

To be fair- there always is a face inside of the phoenix head- it just isn't always as cute.

September 26th, 2017, 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

I knew the original had a face but its smaller and not as noticable. I like your version better.

September 26th, 2017, 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

This is my ‘conversion’ of Kingdom Death’s monster “the Hand” in chibi form.

I put those quotation marks there because I'm not sure at what point I'm crossing a line between conversion and original sculpt. I started out with a Tanchyo Yajiri:

I cut and reposed the legs, hollowed out the head to sculpt the brain and crown, and sculpted the helmet over the remains of the head. I was planning to use those ears for the crown, but it didn't work out, so they got removed completely.

I also removed his arms and resculpted them completely. I sculpted the cape, and added the sword from another Kingdom Death mini.

I was planning on keeping the breastplate, but in the end I cut it out and re-sculpted the whole thing.

In the end, only a small portion of his pants and belt came from the original mini. I basically just had an elaborate armature underneath there.

I entered him into Reapercon's Open competition, and he got a gold medal.

October 26th, 2017, 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

When creating a full Chibi Kingdom Death set, I found that a number of the larger Kingdom Death monsters already had large heads (or head like areas). In some cases, no actual modifications were needed to turn them into Chibi Kingdom Death creatures.

When I'm creating chibi characters, I tend towards some of the more official color schemes. It helps the characters to be recognizable. However, with the unmodified monsters, it makes more sense to approach them with a brighter pallet (and go for chibi eyes).

So, here is my Gorm- in strong purples. I painted the eyes similar to the way that I paint Chibi Zombie eyes. I also decided that the head stalk wasn't a great spot for a light source unless I wanted the mini to be mostly in darkness, so I opted for a second eye instead.

Here he is- all ready to dismember cute little survivors.

March 28th, 2018, 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I've been showing off the conversions from my Chibi Kingdom Death set for a while now- but I realize that I've neglected to post up good pictures of the survivors that I've made.

Here is a group of them. Since this is an ongoing project, I'll be continuously making more, so there will never be a final "all of them together" post.

The conversions range between custom basing and extensive resculpting.

Alistair uses the head from Sebastian Cross- I had an extra since I used Cross' body for my Kingsman.  His body comes from a Mistmourn Shaman, with his skirt sculpted on, and his weapons come from Kingdom Death sprues.

I really liked the idea of painting his eyes to match the prologue, even though he's clearly a Lantern Year 2+ survivor (since he's not barefoot, and has a bone blade).

For Zachary, I wanted a survivor that was a little more muscular than scrawny Alistair, so I used the body from Yokozuna (I still have the head for making a Sun Priest later).

Rail Raiders Infinite's Rhinestone took me by surprise.  She just looked perfect for Kingdom Death, and just needed a color scheme that would work with the set.

It seemed wrong not to make a version of the crossover Candy and Cola for my Chibi Kingdom Death set.  The head comes from Candy, and I found the best body to start from was a Shrine Ninja Kunoichi.  Much of her skirt is sculpted on.

I would have put Cola on her skirt, but I got to thinking that he should be his own survivor.  I haven't finished his conversion yet, but I'll make sure to share it.

The Plague Doctor doesn't seem like the most natural mini to make for Chibi Kingdom Death.  I was looking through my bits box one day, and I found an old Rackham goblin, and I could see all of the conversion that I'd need to make.

For his color scheme, I decided to make a tribute to the Shovel Knight villain/hero Plague Knight.  I'll probably do a couple other Shovel Knight characters as well (Specter Knight would make a good survivor as well).

March 28th, 2018, 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

It is incredibly difficult for me to not be overwhelmed with jealousy at your raw talent. Not even the sculpting part - I've never even wanted to do that. The bedroll I added to my wolf rider is the most sculpting I really want to do. But your painting is just incredible. My hands are not steady enough and my eyes are not strong enough to be able to do what you do. I have a special doodad I use to brace my hands, and I use a magnifying lens when I paint, and I spend 2-3 hours on each Super Dungeon mini I paint, and they still look like rookie night at the preschool compared to what you can do.

March 29th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Denizen

I will echo Infinity at coveting your skill and creativity. Also I dislike horror, but cannot avoid looking and marveling at your kingdom death minis, but I will admit I had to close my browser when my 1yo daughter wanted to play at the keyboard to avoid seeing your super gross (in a good way) minis.

The minis make me want to understand what kingdom death is all about (but not necessarily play b/c I don't want to get eaten by these monsters)!

March 29th, 2018, 3:30 pm
Mini-Boss

@Infinity Max- Thanks for the compliment. I'm a strong believer in helping people improve their painting, so if you'd like some advice, just let me know.

@Sleepy Laughter- Thanks. Kingdom Death is a a really harsh setting and a harsh game where characters get dismembered and die a lot.

In my mind, chibis are all about contrapuntal concepts (cute and creepy, cute and badass, etc) so Kingdom Death just seems like the best project to go full chibi.

Here's a warning- the minis that come in the Kingdom Death game are excellent, but most of them aren't cute at all (spiderlings are pretty cute, though).

April 12th, 2018, 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

I've seen these pop up on Google searches I've done in the past, but only now found this painting log. Your conversions and painting is absolutely incredible! I love the concept of a chibi Kingdom Death :D

May 14th, 2018, 12:36 am
Mini-Boss

When I first started planning a Chibi Kingdom Death project, I looked at all of the expansion monsters and considered which ones would just work well with chibis.

I concluded that Spiderlings were already mostly head- so they'd work perfectly with almost no changes.

For Spidicules herself, I just had to replace the dead survivor with a dangling dead chibi. I really love applying violent deaths to these super cute little survivors.

Spidicules is pretty huge, and he's one of the most difficult minis to photograph. My pictures are a bit too large for the SPM forum, so some of them are linked instead:

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/Kingdom-Death/Spidicules2.jpg

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/Kingdom-Death/Spidicules1.jpg

And the cute little spiderlings:

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/Kingdom-Death/Spiderlings-1.jpg?i=1108336649&width=753&height=520

May 17th, 2018, 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Quote:
I really love applying violent deaths to these super cute little survivors.

The irony is that they are no longer survivors after you're done with them :)

Spidicules is amazing and...I guess it just doesn't have a base? I feel like I'd always be afraid of a leg breaking off!

I like the spiders -- do they have 6 or 8 legs? :lol:

May 17th, 2018, 5:39 pm
Bottle Cap

Wow the spiderlings are from KDM? They look very cartoonish... I'm pretty surprised. They work very well for SD

May 17th, 2018, 6:47 pm
Mini-Boss

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Quote:
I really love applying violent deaths to these super cute little survivors.

The irony is that they are no longer survivors after you're done with them :)

Spidicules is amazing and...I guess it just doesn't have a base? I feel like I'd always be afraid of a leg breaking off!

I like the spiders -- do they have 6 or 8 legs? :lol:

8 legs, with tiny hands at the end. I can console myself in that I'll probably only paint up one spawn point, which leaves me with plenty of extra legs (if I care to do the conversion).

And yes, Spidicules has no base. It is actually important for gameplay- the blind spot is directly underneath the body/head section.

May 18th, 2018, 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Here are two more Chibi conversions I made of Kingdom Death characters. These are the first two that I made that weren’t for my own collection. I’m still quite fond of how they turned out, and I kind of wish I’d gotten to keep them (I might have to remake them later).

May 18th, 2018, 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Here are a couple more survivors- modeled after some of the various armor kit options.

Also, my bow characters spend so much of their lives standing on giant stone faces that it just seemed right to include it.

July 26th, 2018, 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Spectacular work as always!

July 27th, 2018, 2:37 am
Mini-Boss

My entry at this year's Reapercon was the Tyrant that I made for Chibi Kingdom Death. The Tyrant is probably my favorite Kingdom Death character (at least so far).

His construction was fairly complex, using a combination of quite a few parts from various different minis, but none of them were prominent enough to be a "base mini" for the conversion.

While I was making him, I went back and forth on how to portray the markings on his head. On the official mini, they're sculpted in relief, and I've seen them painted as scars, tattoos or even gold inlay. I actually started sculpting them on my tyrant, until I decided that they'd look best as freehand tattoos across his head.

Overall, I was quite pleased with how he turned out, and the judges at Reapercon gave him a gold award.

September 19th, 2018, 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

In my quest to create all things Chibi Kingdom Death, once in a while, there's a minis that just fits as is. Such as this fantastic tribute to Kingdom Death's Flower Witch Disciple sculpted by Heriberto Valle of Capsule Chibi and printed by Impqact! Miniatures.

September 25th, 2018, 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next