View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 7:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Millenia's paintings 
Minion

Hello all,

This is the topic I'll use for all my paintings.
This is the first time I'm painting models, so I hope to see improvements over time. I'm painting with my boyfriend as well. We don't exactly aim for the same effects on the models. He deems "tabletop" enough, while I'd like to go a bit further, and if not having the most amazing models, I want them to be detailed enough to be able to play with of course, and then take them in your hands and look closely and say "oh, this is nice !"

For now I am (sadly ?) not focusing on the model bases. I am too afraid I might put some paint on the model and mess it up...

I won't put the names of all the models, I'm sorry about that, cause my game is in french, and well i don't know it all yet, but
_I think every model is recognizable easilly
_ I think not many that will read that post don't know the names of the models

I'll do individual posts with dates, and such, and some progress posts.

February 2016 : Acquisition of SDE : FK, and preorder of the Legendary pledge from the SDE : legends edition
March 2016 : Delivery of Von Drakk Manor + tiles, with Mistmourn Coast expansion

I'll do a long pause before the next acquisition, partly to let my wallet rest, partly to have the time to paint the majority of my belongings.

Last edited by Millenia on March 7th, 2016, 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

March 7th, 2016, 11:38 am
Minion

First of all, two paintings that were done by my boyfriend's brother-inlaw. He is the manager of a GW shop, so well.. he has much more experience at painting models than we do.
Also, because of that, I'll only be using GW paints, as we have someone easilly available for advices.

He painted the Forgotten King :

And the 6 squirrels :

March 7th, 2016, 11:41 am
Minion

The results of my first painting session (end of february 2016) :
I painted those 6 guys :
I didnt thought about a color contrast on the small zones on the shield, but for my first session I think it was best that I kept it simple. Else, I would have wanted to do things totally perfect, and I think I would have spent a very very long time catching up.

My boyfriend painted :

and the two turnip-heads. We debated about them being real turnips or carrots, so it ended on one turnip, one carrot :
I won't say exactly than I dont like those models, but if you take a close look at them, you can see many unpainted spots still just black from the...undercoat ?... It is not the quality I aimed for, and he told me he would be more cautious after that.

and :

Last edited by Millenia on March 7th, 2016, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 7th, 2016, 11:46 am
Minion

In the beginning of march, my boyfriend painted one billman :

He's planning on painting all the other billmen, and he wanted to use one different color for each, as the Power Rangers, but I'm not quite sure about that idea XD.

I have started working on King Sprout. My base layers are almost done, but I keep seeing places not easy to reach where I forgot to paint the wood for instance, and so I keep going back at the most visible ones, such as the roots for instance. I am quite proud of the flowers at the moment, I aimed at a Mario plants-like colouring, but with a touch less cartoon and more vile. I dis one thin shade layer on the flowers (Carroburg Crimson) just to check if I liked the colouring. As soon as I am confident with my base layer covering, I'll do some contrast with a diluted Incubi Darkness at the base of the lower leaves of the mode. After that, i'll pass a second shade layer on the flowers, and then catch up with the wite, then shade the rest. i'll take some time to decide the best about my drybrushing colours, and where to do what exactly. I would like to give the impression that each leave is of a different color, as if the accelerated growth of the model resulted in an uneven ageing of the leaves.
Progress will come soon.

March 7th, 2016, 11:54 am
Denizen

Looking good so far!

March 7th, 2016, 4:55 pm
Bottle Cap

Nice work, and welcome to the hobby!

You'll definitely see improvement over time, but honestly, for a first effort, this is really impressive. If you hadn't said they (not your boy's, I paid attention) were your first models, I'd have thought you'd been at this for a while.

The main advice I can give you is something I learned in art school, but I think it applies here: don't be too afraid of messing things up. First, if you painted it once, you can paint it again. Second, and more importantly, the fear of messing up what you've already achieved can prevent you from taking chances and experimenting, or worse, keep you from finishing the piece entirely.

March 7th, 2016, 4:56 pm
Minion

Thanks to both of you. I've made some progress lately on the leaves and the three flowers. I've almost finished doing my shades, just have to whiten again the bumps and teeth of the flower, and then i'll start drybrushing.

Just one question is up at the moment, about the shades.
I've used some very diluted base paints on some places of the leaves to give some autumn leaves effect, a kind of washes.. After that, I've coated every leave with Athonian Camoshade. The goal was a bit to soften the effect of the previous "washes", and make it so that the borders of those zones would be less obvious to the eye. I have the feeling that I've put too much Athonian, and that it masks a bit the other color. So I am under the impression that if I want to create some effect through different "washes", then it would be better to do the shades in several passes, while not using too much of the shade paint. Am I right ?

(re-reading myself, it doesnt seem to me clear enough, but I don't know exactly how to do better, don't hesitate to tell me where it is hardly understandable...)

Thanks a lot !!

March 10th, 2016, 11:32 am
Bottle Cap

I had to read it a few times, but I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean. (I'm also on my first coffee of today, so that may be because I'm still waking up more than a lack of clarity on your part.)

All paint is somewhat translucent, so the color you get will be modified by whatever you're painting it on top of. Some pigments are more translucent than others - yellows are somewhat notorious for this in miniatures paints, which is part of why some people struggle with them. Obviously, you can make a given paint more translucent by thinning it with various things. The various things are what allow you to alter things like viscosity and drying time.

A wash is anything that's going to collect in the model's recesses, so it doesn't need to be a product called a wash, or ink, or whatever's in GW's washes these days. Generally speaking, I find that inks (or products labeled as washes) make significantly better washes than paints.

I'm still experimenting with it, but I recently learned that you can get some awesome wash effects from paint by mixing in some rubbing alcohol. Two things I learned the hard way about doing this: first, mix it in a clean palette, surface, or container, because the alcohol will reactivate dried paint, potentially contaminating your wash. Second, it will dry quickly, so it's not a good technique for covering large surfaces or multiple models in an assembly line.

You can mix inks and paints together. The pigments in inks tend to be potent, so this is a good way of thinning the paint while retaining or even increasing opacity, or for getting a more potent color. I often do this when I'm painting black, but it's good for other colors as well. (And, as I'm writing this, I'm thinking it might be very good for cartoony Super Dungeon Explore models, so now I'm going to experiment.) I don't know how well this GW's washes; I haven't used their current range, but the last batch weren't very inky, so if you want to mess with this you might need to pick up some washes from Vallejo (moderately inky), P3 (extremely inky), or just some actual colored inks from an arts & crafts store.

Sometimes you'll want to paint a very translucent layer of paint in order to tint the color underneath it, and you'll want it to have an even consistency rather than pooling like a wash. I think this is what you were describing above. This is a glaze. The trick with a glaze is that you want to increase translucency while retaining viscosity, because you want the paint to stay where you put it (unlike a wash). I use a little water, an acrylic matte medium, and a dash of retarder. I think it's always important to test the glaze to see just how translucent it is before painting it on the model, so after it's mixed I'll apply some to a dry bit of palette (I use a watercolor palette for liquidy things like washes and a wet palette for everything else) or the back of my hand where I habitually spin brushes to retain their points.

You can get acrylic mediums and retarder at your local art supply store. I like Golden, Winsor & Newton is good, but for these purposes whatever's cheapest (Liquitex maybe) is probably fine.

All paint is basically only two things: a pigment, and a binder. Pigments are unique and universal - it's the same stuff in burnt umber oils, watercolors, (unless it says "hue" on the tube), and model paints, except in model paints they call it "bugbear brown" or something. The binder provides a matrix for that pigment: in oils it's linseed oil, in watercolor it's gum arabic, and in acrylics it's an acrylic medium. The model paints we use are acrylics. So an acrylic medium is pretty much the same stuff as your pot of Carnivorous Mushroom Pink (or whatever) but without any pigment, which means it's perfect for increasing translucency without reducing viscosity. Acrylic mediums come gloss, satin, and matte (I use matte), and the gel mediums come in various degrees of thick and paste-like. I'd avoid an acrylic gel medium, but it's not a big deal to use one - you want it to be translucent anyway, so you can always get it more liquidy by adding water.

Retarder slows the drying time, which I think is almost always desirable. Only mix a dab into your paint; too much and it'll make your paint dry wonky. It will also reactivate dried paint, so again, be aware of what's under the color you're mixing.

Finally, and this has nothing at all to do with your question, but is a useful thing related these materials, periodically your paint pots will start to dry up. (Unless you have the old Citadel paint pots. Seriously, I still have some old GW paints from the 80s, and the paint in them is still good. They changed their pot design in the mid or late 90s, but as far as I can tell the pots from before that will keep forever.) When a paint pot starts to get too thick/chunky to use, I dump a bunch of retarder, acrylic medium, and water in there, and stir. You can extend the life of the pot considerably that way.

I hope all of that helps!

March 10th, 2016, 5:41 pm
Minion

Hello,

Thanks a lot, yes you have helped me a lot, and I do think you got me :) Gl for that coffee :D

I might consider thus the acquisiton of medium and retarder. i think a bit later, when i'm sure it is worthy, but well.

I'll post my finished King Sprout tomorrow, the protection coating is all drying right now :)

March 10th, 2016, 6:18 pm
Minion

Here is my finished King Sprout.

Pretty happy of that picture, I really have the feeling with the red on the vine that he's just eaten someone (maybe a poor royal warden ah ah ?). And the leaves I think really convey the impression that the quick growth from dead sprout make it so that they are all of a different color.

Here as seen from behind, I was a bit too heavy on my light green drybrushing on the back leaves. From close up it's just obvious from a peinting point of view, but to play.. it should be just fine. I need to get the hand of knowing well how much paint I will put while drybrushing, but I think it will take a bit of time and them be okay.

I'm pondering which one I should start painting now.. I'm considering the two cutie monsters (dont know their english name) who look like little girls with leaves, painting them with green and lots of red at the ends of the leaves and the eyes to make them evil, or just... pets, maybe to relax a bit :D

March 11th, 2016, 9:19 am
Minion

Here are my wisps.

Base paint almost finished, just need to check soon with a better light if no color goes too far.
I tried diluting the red for the head leaves with a medium to give the desired transparency as you advised @Calyptra, I think it is not bad for a start, but will need to get a bit better.

I aim at a cute-but-demon look, I think the red eyes, dark skin and reddish leaves should do the trick.

March 20th, 2016, 8:55 pm
Denizen

Your king sprout is great ! Especially the blending between purple and orange of the head.

I think the next thing you should focus on in order to improve your painting is the contrast within each "zone" of your miniature.
The more you'll push your shadows and the more you will light your edges, the better the miniature will look on the table. As they are tiny models, contrasts are really important to make them "pop" while on the table.

As you're french, they are plenty of blogs about painting that can help you improve your skills ( this one for example : http://gangeekstyle.com/2015/11/legion-of-everblight/ )
I highly recommand reading this site too, because there is some really great stuff that can help you to improve yourself : http://tutofig.com/

I hope this will help !

March 23rd, 2016, 1:09 pm
Minion

Well, thank you !
I'm sticking to monsters for some time still, but that will leave me lots of times to read guides 'till I get started on the heroes :D

March 23rd, 2016, 1:37 pm
Denizen

Good work, I think the washes look fine. It brings all the different tones together. That being said, keep experimenting and trying new techniques - its what the hobby is about!

Loving the dark skinned wisps, very cute:)

Facebook

Instagram

March 28th, 2016, 10:29 pm
Minion

Aaaand I have finished the wisps.

The backside picture has a better render. I prefer the drybrushing results compared to what I did on King Sprout, cause I succeeded in having a lighter hand about it. So it is less..."clogged".

I am currently working on the pets. It is quite hard to experiment on highlights on them, as they are so smooth and the slightest mistake is seen. Especially when I don't have (yet^^) many light-colored paints, and thus it means mixing with white, which can give the chalky look that has been discussed on several topics. I should repair that friday. One light blue, a light green, a light red, light yellow, light purple probably... cuz I already have many shades of brown do it is not needed. And a grey to do rocks and tombal stones with a constant color.

Anyway, I at least could find out the proper texture to do easy highlights, which is more liquid that I thought.

More progress to come soon on the pets, and the spawning points of the sorrows and hounds from Mistmourn coast (planning blue-ish colors)

March 30th, 2016, 8:29 am
Minion

Update coming :D

I finished two pets, and I decided how to paint the bases. I prefer to do it simple. They will be black all over for the monsters, and for everything that goes along with the heroes, it will be black on top, white to the sides, with a metallic line to separate it.

Not been trying out to many things with paints for those two, I have hard times on smooth surfaces to do something smooth where we don't see the successive paint layers. It's hard..

My boyfriend has been doing progress on his power ranger-themed billmen, here are the 3 new ones. Half is done, as much remains to do.

And finally, I've been trying out the wet pallet to paint the Pumpkin Patch toads, and omagad it's amazing. The paint doesn't dry, stays approximately at the same thickness while I paint, and it seems to me it is even easier to thin the paint while not having it clog in the recesses of the model.

I've been trying things out on the bellies of the toads, if you wanna tell me what you prefer and why, i would appreciate a lot :D. That is, if you see well... The quality is not very good now that I look it up more closely :s

April 9th, 2016, 7:59 pm
Minion

It's been some time I haven't posted anything here. Have hard times cuz of repair works on the building, so the light is... very limited.

Managed to paint the Pumpkin patch :

And Sorrows :

I tried for the first time on the sorrows not-drybrushed highlights. Still improvements to make so that the limits between all colors will be less obvious, but I think I will get it right soon.

June 3rd, 2016, 1:29 pm
Minion

Been some time since I last posted here. Been very busy (Phd finishing, all that stuff), but now I am way more free to paint, and thus here is my latest finished piece :

Have great Christmas all :)

December 22nd, 2016, 5:09 pm
Denizen

He looks great. The black lining on his eyes make him look really nasty !
Maybe you could do some inside his mouth to separate the bottom teeth and the inside of his mouth for more readbility on the piece.

December 22nd, 2016, 7:22 pm
Minion

I decided against it cuz it was already hard enough doing the red of the mouth and the white well separated XD

December 22nd, 2016, 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next