View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 14th, 2018, 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Scorpion0x17's Painting Project. 
Minion

I recently purchased SDE: Forgotten King, whilst it was cheap (about £25) on amazon.co.uk, and have, possibly somewhat wisely or foolishly, depending on one's perspective, set myself the restriction of getting the FK set painted before I buy any expansions.

So, this thread is to (a) keep me honest, and (b) define, for myself, what I mean by 'painted'.

OK, though I can paint to a reasonable standard, I do so very slowly, but I want to get this done, and still be able to play whilst I paint, so, as Forgotten King is the only set I own, that will mean two things:

1. Splitting the task up in to small steps that can be done quickly.
2. Stopping at a good tabletop quality paint job.

Therefore I am going to paint in batches, and divide the process up in to a number of stages, and after each painting stage I will give the models a quick seal, with a light coat of GW Purity Seal, so that they can be handled without too much worry.

So...

Stage 1 - Prep:
  • Remove mold lines with hobby knife/files (initially just using a hobby knife on things like the treasure chests and boo booties, but plan to pick up a set of plastic files before I move on to working on the monsters and heroes).
  • Wash and scrub in lukewarm soapy water.
  • Add Plasticard 'slabs' to base to cover slot and add interest, when necessary and if room.
  • Fill gaps with Vallejo Plastic Putty, and smooth when dry.
  • Glue plasticard disc to underside of base.

Stage 2 - Priming:
  • Thinned Vallejo Black Surface Primer - ensuring I get good overall coverage.
  • Two-step zenithal prime, all round, using Halfords Grey, from near horizontal, and GW Skull White from above - this will be done quickly, one after the other, not letting the grey dry before hitting it with the white, so that the two blend a little - and in quick, light, passes from all sides.
  • All over pre-shade wash with GW Baddab Black (or Nuln Oil if/when I run out of Baddab).
  • First light coat of GW Purity Seal.

Stage 3 - Base coats:
  • Pretty self explanatory - neat, fairly thin, base coat on every surface of the models - leaving some of the pre-shade was showing in the recesses for a black-lining effect, and allowing the zenithal prime to add some shading.
  • Shading wash - a thin wash, colour dependent on the area being washed.
  • Second light coat of GW Purity Seal.

Stage 4 - Highlights and shading:
  • First highlight pass - a thin layer of the basecoat colour.
  • Optional second shading wash - a thin wash, colour dependent on area being washed.
  • Second highlight pass - a thin layer of a lighter colour than the basecoat.
  • Optional shading glaze - a light glaze of a darker colour than the basecoat.
  • Third light coat of GW Purity Seal.

Stage 5 - Detailing:
  • Paint in details such as irises and pupils in the eyes, fluid in the potion bottles, and so on.
  • Touch up any areas that need it.
  • Fourth light coat of GW Purity Seal (and optionally Dullcoat and Vallejo Gloss Varnish - see below).

At this point I'm going to consider the figures 'done', with one caveat:

I will want to come back to many of the figures and glaze in some smoother blends, colour gradients, and perhaps some OSL.

Once that is done, or if I know I will not being doing that with a particular batch of figures, I will Dullcoat them, and then hit areas like potion bottles with some brush on Vallejo Gloss Varnish, so for many figures this will be the last two steps in Stage 5.

First up will be the Treasure Chests and Boo Booties, and I intend to post photos to record my progress. Probably not at every stage for every batch of figures, but for the initial batches I probably will. And Stage 1 has already started on these...

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 on March 3rd, 2016, 8:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.

February 14th, 2016, 12:32 am
Bottle Cap

Scorp,
The newer models have full size slotta's that fill the slots, and slots that have bottoms instead of them being bottomless.
If you skip the gap filling step you may regret it later.

Good luck, I can't wait to see your painting skills.

February 14th, 2016, 6:42 pm
Minion

Bigblock wrote:
Scorp,
The newer models have full size slotta's that fill the slots, and slots that have bottoms instead of them being bottomless.
If you skip the gap filling step you may regret it later.

Good luck, I can't wait to see your painting skills.

Hey Bigblock!

Good to see another familiar name here.

Don't expect anything too great, paint job wise - as I said, these are going to be very much tabletop quality - at least until I revisit them after I've got them all up to a basic standard I'm ok with.

Anyway, on the base slots, sounds like I need to find myself some good pictures of the newer models so that I can figure out what I want to do with the ones I have.

It's interesting that you say the newer bases have bottoms - one thing I had considered was cutting some plasticard in to circles and gluing them to the bottom of the bases so that I could then stick some felt to the underside.

February 14th, 2016, 7:16 pm
Bottle Cap

I got stuck in chibi land while I was waiting for zombicide season 2 to arrive.
I never made it out, I really enjoy painting the models.
I believe the large smooth areas and big eyes are more challenging than regular 28mm models.

You have probably read my advise before...

Regardless of the level you paint your models at, painted models look better than unpainted models.

February 14th, 2016, 8:23 pm
Bottle Cap

I posted pics of the new bases in my BGG gallery for you to check out.

February 14th, 2016, 8:39 pm
Minion

Bigblock wrote:
I posted pics of the new bases in my BGG gallery for you to check out.

Thanks! :)

Hmm... I need to think about what to do...

February 14th, 2016, 9:41 pm
Bottle Cap

Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Thanks! :)

Hmm... I need to think about what to do...

Anytime!

I stuffed half of mine with kneadatite (green stuff) you can get full rolls on eBay for the price of a little strip in a game store)).
The other half I filled with superglue gel, superglue, and zip kicker (CA accelerator) cures CA glue instantly) it's amazing))).
Depending on the model and supplies on hand at the time.

Good luck!

Edit: You know how to get ahold of me if you need anything....

February 14th, 2016, 9:59 pm
Minion

Work has started!

(click to view full size image)

I've also decided how I'm going to handle the base slots, and realised that I missed an important step in Stage 1 - Prep, so I'll update the OP after hitting Submit on this...

February 17th, 2016, 12:33 pm
Minion

First example of my solution to the base slot issue:

February 18th, 2016, 1:39 am
Minion

Had to strip and redo the chests and boos, because the pre-shade wash behaved all weird when I tried thinning it, so am now making do with full strength but more predictable washes.

Anyway...

Stage 2 complete on this lot:

Next up is prepping more pets and base coats on the chests and boos...

February 20th, 2016, 12:22 pm
Minion

...well, after I've pre-shade washed this guy (who needed a little touch up work after I noticed I'd missed the mold line running down the front of his face):

February 20th, 2016, 12:45 pm
Minion

Progress On the Boos:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
(click to view full size images)

February 20th, 2016, 10:20 pm
Minion

Today's progress:

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

February 21st, 2016, 9:39 pm
Minion

Was quite busy today, so didn't get much done, bit it has been a mouth day...

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive, will be tackling the metalwork on all the boos and chests.

February 23rd, 2016, 1:59 am
Minion

Progress was slow over the last few days, but got the base coats done on the metalwork for all but the last Boo and one Treasure Chest, which are waiting for a gold paint that's usable (my GW golds are just rubbish):

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Should be picking up a Vallejo gold paint tomorrow, so I'll then be able to paint the metalwork on the last Boo, and the last Chest (which is to be all gold), and then I'll paint the locks silver, and give everything some washes.

February 27th, 2016, 4:37 am
Minion

Apologies for taking a couple of days to get these posted.

I picked up some Vallejo Model Color and Model Air metallics in Saturday, so, after a few tests on Sunday, painting the various options on to primed strips of plasticard, I was able to get the base coats done on the metal work for the third Boo and fifth Treasure Chest:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Have already made some more progress beyond this, painting all the Treasure Chest locks silver, and then giving everything but those locks very light washes of various colours, but I won't post another update until I've washed those locks, and then hit everything with a light coat of Purity Seal.

March 2nd, 2016, 8:15 am
Minion

Stage 3 (basecoats) is now complete on all the Boo Bootys and Treasure Chests:

Preparation continues on the Pets, and next main task is to do the first highlight pass on the Boos and Chests.

Which reminds me, I need to slightly amend the steps in Stage 4...

March 3rd, 2016, 8:41 pm
Minion

Wow! Has it really been over 6 months since I last updated this?!

Well, not much progress has been made since then (pretty much none, in fact), due to a 4 week trip to the US, ill health, and then, well, Pokemon GO! :P But, I intend to get back on the painting horse and posting more updates again very soon.

September 17th, 2016, 9:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]