View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 of to Cloudtop city 
Bottle Cap

Hey everybody,

I’m going to take you on a trip to a land far, far away. High up in the clouds in Crystalia, there is a little town. This bustling town high up in the sky is a place of quiet in the middle of a flying wilderness. Here, at the top of the world, adventurers flock together to discover the hidden treasures of the surrounding islands. But riches isn’t all that is hiding…

Every year, our gaming club (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Puppeteers) attends a few conventions. I wanted to make a table for this that is easy to transport, original and most of all eye-catching.
Nagrand

I have been toying with the idea of making a table that consists of a lot of flying islands for a while now. I’ve always been a big fan of René Magritte’s painting “Castle of the Pyrenees”. Nagrand from the World of Warcraft provided some necessary inspiration as well.

The plan is to create a big, central island that functions as the big eye-catcher, with some smaller islands floating around it, on which you can play your game.

The first thing I had to decide was which game system to build something for. For the project I had in mind, Super Dungeon Explore seemed the perfect choice to me. The atmosphere, the overall design and the fluff make for a very rich world in which just about anything is possible.

With the overall theme chosen, I could start working out the different islands. First, I started on the central island. This will be a city. A place where the heroes can come between their adventures to lay low, rest up and gather new supplies.

The big inspiration for this city was the Mont Saint-Michel. This city that was built on an island off the coast of France has all the looks of a fantasy town. In the centre of the town, I wanted a small castle. For this, I used elements of the most famous castle in the world.

To get a general idea of overall design and atmosphere, I always start by making a few sketches.

And then the real work could start. First up: the central castle.

Next, the rest of the island, with the first of the houses taking shape.

So, that should be it for the building part. Next up: putting some paint on it all.

Mearmor

Christoph

January 8th, 2016, 9:38 am
Consul

HOLY F**K!

WOW...

Start painting already! :lol:

January 8th, 2016, 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

It looks absolutely WONDERFUL!! Great job!!!!!!!!! =D Wow!

Only: how are you going to use that as a game board?

January 8th, 2016, 10:36 am
Bottle Cap

Tnx for the kind words. im trying to paint it every free moment i have. but its pretty big. gone take a while :)

Teowulff wrote:
Only: how are you going to use that as a game board?

The plan is to have this as a big center peace. its meant to draw attention not te be played on. The idea is to have smaller islands on wich you can play.

Idd like to give every island a theme. you'll have the graveyard island. the mine, the wiches house......

Im also making some plans to have a dice tower island. but those are for the future. first i need to finish the town.

January 8th, 2016, 10:44 am
Consul

the proffet wrote:
Idd like to give every island a theme. you'll have the graveyard island. the mine, the wiches house......

It looks like you know what you are doing, but I'm still gonna say be careful to make the whole thing coherent.
It would be a shame if it looked like a map of super Mario worlds with every island being too distinctly different.
If the theme on the big island is grass, be sure to use grass on all the islands to bind them together.

Just saying ;)

January 8th, 2016, 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

i have a wip painting picture for you. painted about 1/3 of the total city and im about 30 hours in. extra detailing still needs to be done.

January 11th, 2016, 6:46 am
Denizen

the proffet wrote:
i have a wip painting picture for you. painted about 1/3 of the total city and im about 30 hours in. extra detailing still needs to be done.

Truely incredible what you have done!

Must be a great experience to play a game in that environment once you have finished! =D

January 11th, 2016, 7:18 am
Consul

Incredible. How about a couple of close-ups?

January 11th, 2016, 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

amazing... like it a lot

January 11th, 2016, 12:40 pm
Ninja Corps

Looks outstanding, I can't wait to see how this turns out. =)

January 22nd, 2016, 5:48 pm
Bottle Cap

Hello everybody,

I have been very bussy the last couple of weeks. i managed to get most of the city painted and i'm very exicted to share my progress with you guys.

As the board will be for Super dungeon explore i wanted some of the fun and cuteness to be represented in the city, I chose for bright and light colours, the blue roof tiles contract very nicely with the grey stone and the green grass and add a lot to the light atmosphere of the city. The grey stones go from dark to light towards the top to give the hole thing more depth. I also spend ages highlighting each stone to help add to the more cartonie look i am aiming for. For the windows i went for a warmer collor to help liven op the city. The orange also contrast very nicely with the blue roofs.

Ill post some more detail shots later this week. hope you like it

February 3rd, 2016, 6:32 am
Bottle Cap

that's awesome!!!!

February 3rd, 2016, 12:33 pm
Denizen

the proffet wrote:
Hello everybody,

I have been very bussy the last couple of weeks. i managed to get most of the city painted and i'm very exicted to share my progress with you guys.

As the board will be for Super dungeon explore i wanted some of the fun and cuteness to be represented in the city, I chose for bright and light colours, the blue roof tiles contract very nicely with the grey stone and the green grass and add a lot to the light atmosphere of the city. The grey stones go from dark to light towards the top to give the hole thing more depth. I also spend ages highlighting each stone to help add to the more cartonie look i am aiming for. For the windows i went for a warmer collor to help liven op the city. The orange also contrast very nicely with the blue roofs.

Ill post some more detail shots later this week. hope you like it

Really incredible! I love how you added small roack to the main island! And how you painted the buildings, with the occasional blue and red stones!! : D

February 3rd, 2016, 12:45 pm
Bottle Cap

a very important part of any city is its market. i wanted to have a small market place with a potion shop and a nice statue. I also added a banner to the little tower. this helps to add a little color in an other whise big grey area. I had a long thought about what i wanted to put on the banner and in the end chose to just put a heart onto it (becouse its easy to paint)

Between 2 buildings i build a assembly line that suplies the potion store with fresh potion from the enchanter.
every town needs an inn.

an antiques store. the little doll is named vinnie. He is the mascot of my gaming club

A little black smith, im look forward to putting the new kickstarter npc's in the city

Next to the black smith there is a small weapons shop

A little of the main island you find this little shack, for all your private needs.

And everybody knows that you cant adventure on an empty stomage

That it for today. next up trouble at the pumpkin farm.

February 5th, 2016, 9:23 am
Consul

Looks amazing man!

Genius keeping with the video game theme using pac-man as sign for the cheese store.
Well done

February 5th, 2016, 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

the proffet wrote:
a very important part of any city is its market. i wanted to have a small market place with a potion shop and a nice statue. I also added a banner to the little tower. this helps to add a little color in an other whise big grey area. I had a long thought about what i wanted to put on the banner and in the end chose to just put a heart onto it (becouse its easy to paint)

Between 2 buildings i build a assembly line that suplies the potion store with fresh potion from the enchanter.

every town needs an inn.

an antiques store. the little doll is named vinnie. He is the mascot of my gaming club

A little black smith, im look forward to putting the new kickstarter npc's in the city

Next to the black smith there is a small weapons shop

A little of the main island you find this little shack, for all your private needs.

And everybody knows that you cant adventure on an empty stomage

That it for today. next up trouble at the pumpkin farm.

Very, very, very, very, very nice!!! : D

Love all the details, cheese shop, little woorden rope bridge, how you made your own forge, extremely nicely done!!

Don't know why .. but I also have the funny feeling that you once played High Elves .. ; )

February 9th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Ninja Corps

That's pretty freaking fantastic.

February 14th, 2016, 5:09 am
Bottle Cap

Fantastic dude! :D

February 18th, 2016, 3:20 pm
Bottle Cap

Hey everybody,

Got you guys another update on Cloudtop City.

I have been working on the first playable tile. Trouble at the Pumpkin Farm!

We don't intend to play full games of Super Dungeon Explore on these tiles, but the idea is to have a couple small adventures you can play quickly at a convention. So the playable area isn't very large.

I decided to go for 3 islands for this one. A small one with a small docking bay where the heroes start, a larger one with a field of pumpkins where the monsters will spawn and where most of the playing will be done and a last one with a kind of farm house on it which will be mostly for display and for showing of my cool building stuff.

At this moment in time i have finished building the farm and most of the farm house. I still need some work on the small island. I found some nice high elves sky cutters really cheap, which I'll use as an airship at the docking point. I'm going to try and magnetize these so you can add them when you start playing and have a nice starting point for your heroes.

You might wonder why I chose for a pumpkin farm. Well, first of all because pumpkins aren't hard to make your self. I also like how they can be used on the playing area as movement and line of sight blockers. And lastly, Super Dungeon Explore has some great pumpkin models which will be great to use when playing.

April 15th, 2016, 12:34 pm
Bottle Cap

As you can see on the pictures i still have some work to do. mostly on the small island. But since I felt like painting, I first painted the main island and the farm house.

And here is one more where im about 95% done, still need to finish a couple of things but you get a pretty good idea of whats it will become. hope to finish it during the weekend so i can go and start the next island.

April 15th, 2016, 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next