View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 16th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My journey through Crystalia 
Bottle Cap

Hey all, the new kickstarter-campaign made me start painting my SDE-mini's :)

Started with Fae

still lots of work and adjustments to be done though... still not pleased with the glass-bottles

I can't figure out what the thing between the blue bottle and her left boob is... but I'm starting to fear I had to cut that part off...
Anyone an idea what it is (or anyone that can confirm it's meant to cut off)?

October 28th, 2015, 5:48 pm
Consul

Just pulled out my own Fae to study it up close... That lump literally looks like nothing but a random lump...

I tried asking for the 3D model in the KS comments... Maybe with a little luck we can figure out what it is supposed to be...

October 28th, 2015, 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Mmmmh, maybe it's a bag hidden behind the potions ?

[EDIT]

I can't see it on this picture ...

October 28th, 2015, 6:10 pm
Bottle Cap

Thanks for that picture, this confirmed my fears...
So.... that meant a painfull decision...

October 29th, 2015, 4:41 pm
Denizen

Painfull but necessary i think judging how much clean your paintjob is.
I'm sure she will be much better like this once finished !!

I would also love to see her cloak !

And for the potions, ... i think what they lack is some "random" shadows to give them depth!

October 29th, 2015, 8:21 pm
Bottle Cap

Fixed the lump and did some minor changes to the bottles... Looking better, but not there yet. I need higher contrast I think, no fading to white but just a clear edge, and shadows do help a lot in there! Thx for the advice and feedback! :)

As for the cape, now it's still just a random green I did to get a better idea of the rest of the colors and the contrast... the backside is still the grey of the primer I used. :)

November 2nd, 2015, 5:41 pm
Consul

Beautiful! Well saved!

November 2nd, 2015, 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Great, her hip is all new ! :)

TBB wrote:
Fixed the lump and did some minor changes to the bottles... Looking better, but not there yet. I need higher contrast I think, no fading to white but just a clear edge, and shadows do help a lot in there! Thx for the advice and feedback! :)

The potions contrasts are clearly better (the purple one is great !), but i still think the green could handle some more shadows ^^

TBB wrote:
As for the cape, now it's still just a random green I did to get a better idea of the rest of the colors and the contrast... the backside is still the grey of the primer I used. :)

I'll have to wait until you paint the back then, if i remember right there is a big potion there too ^^

November 2nd, 2015, 8:09 pm
Mini-Boss

Maybe the lump was the saddle for the wolfrider!

November 3rd, 2015, 2:37 pm
Consul

Spazzfist wrote:
Maybe the lump was the saddle for the wolfrider!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!! :lol:

November 3rd, 2015, 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

did some work on the cape and the bottle on the back...
The reflections turned out completely wrong so I will have to re-do them.

Image Image

November 3rd, 2015, 6:28 pm
Ninja Corps

I love the back bottle. It looks genuinely glass at first glance.

November 3rd, 2015, 6:33 pm
Consul

Agreed. Exceptionally well done :)

November 3rd, 2015, 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Same here, i like the way you put the White dots on the bottle to make the "glass" look.

November 4th, 2015, 9:10 am
Denizen

Easily one of the best painted models I've seen.

What's the time investment estimation in this model so far if you don't mind me asking?

Will Captain R ever get some love and get his skeletal crew or will he forever remain the captain that went down with his ship and left them behind?
Not for this kickstarter, but we love us some pirates! ;)

November 4th, 2015, 11:26 am
Bottle Cap

Thanks! :D
I couldn't resist changing the reflection though...
Image Image

@Shadowclaimer: about 10-12 hours so far... (including the lump-surgery)
Most of the time went into the face and the bottles.

November 4th, 2015, 3:45 pm
Denizen

What color prime did you do? I would assume black because of the underlying shading.

Will Captain R ever get some love and get his skeletal crew or will he forever remain the captain that went down with his ship and left them behind?

November 4th, 2015, 3:49 pm
Bottle Cap

I brush-primed this one with an old 80's Citadel 'Elf Grey' (from the hexagonal range with old white lids...). (as like the colour of the leaves on her head and the base in earlier pictures)
Usualy I prime my mini's with a grey primer-aerosol, but it was too rainy that day and I didn't have the patience to wait another day to start painting.

I do fill up all the deepest recesses with several layers of thinned black.

I was hoping to get the green of the cape better on the pic, but photographing green seems a hell, at least with a mobile... When it's finished I'll try to get that better photographed.

November 4th, 2015, 4:01 pm
Denizen

TBB wrote:
I brush-primed this one with an old 80's Citadel 'Elf Grey' (from the hexagonal range with old white lids...). (as like the colour of the leaves on her head and the base in earlier pictures)
Usualy I prime my mini's with a grey primer-aerosol, but it was too rainy that day and I didn't have the patience to wait another day to start painting.

I do fill up all the deepest recesses with several layers of thinned black.

I was hoping to get the green of the cape better on the pic, but photographing green seems a hell, at least with a mobile... When it's finished I'll try to get that better photographed.

I stopped hand priming myself, I had some really inconsistent jobs come out of it a few years back and been afraid to since.

I'm going to try grey spray primer for my models this time through, normally I use black.

What brand/model is your ultrafine brush btw? Whatever you hit the edge of those eyes with is very nice.

November 4th, 2015, 4:38 pm
Bottle Cap

I used to use a black spray primer for a long time, but then I started experiencing with white and I kinda liked it more, but it kinda depends on the sort of mini's you paint. If would have to paint an army of chaos, I'd probably use black again..
Now I'm just using either acryll white or a grey primer from an acryl range of aerosols...

For brushes I use Winsor & Newton W&N Series 7 Miniature Sable Watercolour Brush.
For most parts I can use a number 1, that brush is just so excellent and perfect pointed that you can even do most details with the same brush.
For really thin lines such as around the eyes I use a number 000.
They are a bit more expensive than most other common used brushes, but the quality is really worth it's coins. Also these brushes helped me a lot to reach a higher painting-level then before (took me a while to realize the brush matters a lot).
A pointed brush stays a pointed brush, not like Citadel-brushes where a pointed brush turns into a wild bouquet after 1 single mini...

I also use a magnifying daylight led-lamp for the finest work and snap pictures when I think something isn't right. After enlarging the pic I usually see where it needs adjustments and then pick up the brush again... A face easily takes 3 hours to finish (in my case) of which the eyes only take the biggest half of it.
I've never done the eyes perfect from the first time and even now with they are still not perfect enough (the eyeliner / eyelashes on the outer corners isn't symmetric enough), but I will live with it ;)
So doing that final thin black line usually goes like: black line... !SODA!, fine-tuning with white... arg, black again, oh now I need fleshcolor, oops, black and white again... and so on until it's a real thin line... (and then sometimes realize it doesn't look good and restart again)

November 5th, 2015, 9:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next