View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 14th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Tips for basing? 
Bottle Cap

Anyone have any tips for painting the bases on models from the Forgotten King set? I've had some difficulty getting my brush into areas of Fae Alchemist to paint and my next venture appears to include the squirrels, which look to make a tight fit for the brush.

October 26th, 2015, 3:53 am
Consul

Paint the base first? Then be careful not to paint on the base when you do the actual mini. Finish up by covering the small smudges where you painted onto the base anyway.

But I guess it also sort of depends on how exactly you paint your bases. How about posting a picture, then we might have an easier time recognizing exactly what the problem is.

October 26th, 2015, 5:02 am
Profile WWW
Minion

I've seen a few people take them off the bases to paint them. Not sure how they did it, but it's worth a shot.

October 26th, 2015, 10:38 am
Denizen

If you can't get a brush there, you can't see it :)

Painting the base mono color and then washing it helps as you don't need to be careful.

October 26th, 2015, 10:43 am
Denizen

I always cut the models from the base. I also cut off parts, which were preglued and get in the way while painting. Just use a sharp hobby knife and cut away the mini right above the base. For cutting off other parts I recommend dipping the mini in near boiling water for max 5 seconds. This makes the mini very flexible for a short time and you can happily cut away with a sharp knife / scalpel.

Vandella for example was cut from her base and lost her wings for painting:
ImageImage

For stability i pinned the foot to the base after painting. Even though there is just a very small contact point for foot and base I never had any stability problems.

This also works with minis with large contact areas to the base, but requires some work. My Death Spectre for example. It was also cut from the base (using a sharp knife and hot water) and I had no problems refitting him to the base after painting.

October 26th, 2015, 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Or you base the minis in an appropriate color. This can be done with any old brush. Just take care not to paint too thick. Youz should be able to reach everywhere you can see. After that, paint as usual. WHat you cannot reach now is of no concern cause it's at least in the base color.
The base itself underneath can be colored by using washes. Or even a smaller brush ;)

October 26th, 2015, 3:41 pm
Minion

frawgenstein wrote:
I've seen a few people take them off the bases to paint them. Not sure how they did it, but it's worth a shot.

You can remove the mini from the base by putting it in the freezer overnight. After one or more times of freezing and thawing, the glue used will become brittle. Just remember that all the glued points will break easily if the model is in multiple parts.

October 27th, 2015, 9:05 am
Bottle Cap

Thanks for the suggestions. I already painted a few miniatures, but so far this one seems like it'll give me a little bit of difficulty since basing was a second thought to me at the time.

My primary concern was raised after pulling out the Rabbid Squirrels. It's body is so close to the base that it seems really difficult to get a brush in between the belly and the base. I haven't started on those yet. The glue trick seems like it may be work for the Rabbid Squirrels without jeopardizing other joints since it's one large miniature.

I'm not opposed to cutting them from their bases, the thought crossed my mind initially, but I figured it's possible someone had a tip that didn't include detaching the miniature.

October 29th, 2015, 1:45 pm
Minion

I used a rigger brush, so I could just slide it under the squirrels without touching them. I use that brush whenever I have hard-to-reach spots and don't want to take anything apart. It's handy.

November 1st, 2015, 4:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]