View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2017, 12:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Humbaba's SDE 
Bottle Cap

Hey all, I though I finally get around to posting some of my work.
I painted for a while now but life forced a 4 year hiatus from painting on me and I saw the SDE models and convinced myself to take the plunge. I knew going in that I'd have a lot of rust to shake off so I decided to give myself some restrictions to concentrate on the basics. I only allowed myself to use one brush on all the models in the core set heroes, no drybrushing, no inks, and completely paint one figure at a time so that I could build off evaluating each as I completed them.

I've posted them in the order of completion since I found the progress from one model to the next interesting in itself.

by the time I got to angry bear I started to remember much of my techniques.
I cheated with the beard and used a wash there

After finishing the core heroes I decided that I had shook off the rust and allowed my self to use the rest of my nasty tricks
here are some bonus heros:

It should be noted that I paint at a glacial pace and the images represent several months of work and I had fun the whole time!
Thanks for looking, C&C welcome.

May 4th, 2015, 1:26 am
Minion

Very nice painting, clean, colourful and true to the concept art - good work. Only thing I could suggest is some black lining may help make areas 'pop', but really that's just a style choice.

Instagram gallery https://instagram.com/adam.wcx/

May 5th, 2015, 5:13 pm
Denizen

I love the blends that are going on, esp the hue you've added into the glimmerdusks' cloak. Very much like the artwork! And the orange tones on Nyan are superb. One comment Id make - ( I cant criticise as im guilty of it too!) would be vigilant with mould lines. However those things only show up when you photograph them and a 30mm mini appears 150mm tall on a computer screen lol. The eyes are gorgeous, looking forward to seeing more!

Facebook

Instagram

May 5th, 2015, 6:29 pm
Bottle Cap

Looks great - I like the pink band-aid on the guy with the bear cloak - probably will need to repaint mine.

May 6th, 2015, 3:43 pm
Bottle Cap

I got a few more down, I've got an airbrush setup now and spent a few months learning how that mess works.

I love using Kaelly as the Consul so I was motivated to paint her after launching a few volleys of hex bolts

You common household healing powerhouse, blue flavored

I LOVE the twilight knight's potion and wanted to put a top-tier layer of paint on her. Had a lot of fun with this one

Cheers.

November 17th, 2015, 1:17 am
Denizen

There is clearly an improvement in your painting :)

Your lights are really well put on the miniature, but i think if you want to go further you can push your contrasts in some shadows to make your lights pop out even more on the miniature.
( for example on the twilight knight, the back of the cloak, and the bottom edge of the sword could be pushed darker in the shadows )

November 17th, 2015, 3:49 am
Bottle Cap

One more before I closed down the paint booth for a while, I like the comically oversized hat on her.

Cheers!

December 13th, 2015, 10:25 pm
Consul

I don't know how I could have missed this thread, but excellent job all around.
The witch queen is perfection!

(Without the oversized hat, how would we be able to tell that she was the queen?)

December 13th, 2015, 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Wow, scrolling down from the first to the last mini I must say you are really progressing very, very well!
impressive, especially what you did with the eyes!!
Only thing about Beatrix that I would think needs a little more perfecting is a little more highlighting/drybrushing the green wheels.

VERY well done!!

December 14th, 2015, 7:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]