View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently January 22nd, 2017, 9:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 I will never get all of these things finished 
Bottle Cap

I like plogs, despite my less than fantastic photography skills. (Digital macro photography is the hobby I never wanted but was forced into by my other hobby. And for some reason, I had a much harder time getting decent photos of my SDE models. I blame their giant heads.)

Anyway, here's my start on Forgotten King:

I hope you like them! Questions, comments, and criticisms are welcome and appreciated.

March 17th, 2016, 4:36 am
Bottle Cap

Some more:

Chests

And I painted a plethora of preposterous platypus persons.

I painted these up like this because I thought they'd stand out better, but real platypuses have dark bills and fur on their tales (and are *adorable*). When I get around to the other four, I'll do them like that.

March 17th, 2016, 7:24 am
Minion

Von Calyptra wrote:
plethora of preposterous platypus persons.

:lol:

March 17th, 2016, 3:03 pm
Bottle Cap

Forgotten King is my first SDE set, but a year or two ago someone I know got the core set and I got to play a few games. I poked around on ebay, and bought my favorite hero at the time, the Riftling Rogue, as well as Nyan Nyan, so I could paint them.

(I'm kicking myself now for not getting some of the other core set heroes back then. Now that I have Forgotten King, I feel like I need to have a good selection of heroes for my players, but the core set heroes don't seem to be available individually on ebay anymore.)

I don't know if I'll go back and add mushrooms and static grass to their bases. At the time, I liked the simplicity of them (and I still do), but they weren't intended to make sense visually running around in the Fae Wood. The mushrooms serve as a thematically unifying element: mushrooms grow in forests, but also in caves, and there's a video game precedent for them. Plus there's the Emerald Valley set.

I thought about what it would be like for a rogue to run around in a dungeon wearing a thong, and decided that if she was that stupid she would not have survived long enough to get to the dungeon in the first place. Also, I have some cognitive dissonance from cheesecake chibis. But mostly it's just a terrible idea.

Speaking of cheesecake, I based Nyan Nyan off of Felicia from the old Darkstalkers arcade game.

I've since seen several people take much more catlike approaches to Freyjans, and I really like the effect. I think I'm going to leave Nyan Nyan as is, but I'm looking forward to emphasizing the tabby part of the Tabbybrook Mage.

March 17th, 2016, 3:53 pm
Bottle Cap

This seemed like an appropriate day to post Bun Bun here. (It's too bad I don't have any kobold/dragonling stuff, I could have painted up some eggs, too.)

I shoot on a white background so I can tell if the colors are screwed up and need to be adjusted, but I'm not happy with how the Grobbit's ears are disappearing against the paper. I may try using a toned background, with a square of white somewhere that can be cropped out of frame.

Frog Knights will be next, once I eventually finish building a foamcore box insert for Forgotten King.

March 27th, 2016, 9:07 pm
Denizen

Cool stuff around, great work. Love Nyan Nyan! I really like the little details on the base too.

Your photography looks top notch. Clear and well lit

Facebook

Instagram

March 28th, 2016, 10:19 pm
Bottle Cap

Ya know, I never noticed (until seeing one painted) that the plant spawn point in the first group of pictures has a victim imbedded in it's twisted vines...
On another note, awesome painting!

April 1st, 2016, 6:31 am
Minion

Wycroe wrote:
Ya know, I never noticed (until seeing one painted) that the plant spawn point in the first group of pictures has a victim imbedded in it's twisted vines...

That's the 'Bramble Knight'!

April 1st, 2016, 6:49 am
Bottle Cap

I have a copy of the core game that showed up to Japan with a damaged box. I placed a late pledge order for SDE: Legends (Completionist Pledge) so I will be receiving the new updated models. If you are interested my core game models are available. I haven't assembled them and they're still in the packaging. A few are opened just to check the pieces out. And I know what you're going through with the sheer amount of painting that needs to be done. I have about 95% of the models released and I've painted 38 so far. I have a long way to go ;)

April 5th, 2016, 5:43 am
Minion

wigz81 wrote:
I have a copy of the core game that showed up to Japan with a damaged box. I placed a late pledge order for SDE: Legends (Completionist Pledge) so I will be receiving the new updated models. If you are interested my core game models are available. I haven't assembled them and they're still in the packaging. A few are opened just to check the pieces out. And I know what you're going through with the sheer amount of painting that needs to be done. I have about 95% of the models released and I've painted 38 so far. I have a long way to go ;)

Yup, same here, I find the title of this thread funny every time you update. I've gone through the 100+ minis I have for this game and filed and cleaned them all up. Now I am doing the green stuff on all of them. At this point I'll feel like it is progress when I manage to prime one....

April 5th, 2016, 2:26 pm
Bottle Cap

wigz81 wrote:

While I'm definitely interested, I'm a self-employed performer; the last few months have been the slowest for business that I've ever had, and I'm contending with small business taxes right now. Until things pick up again (and I appease the IRS), my budget for new toys is roughly nonexistant.

April 7th, 2016, 12:58 am
Bottle Cap

I've been working on other projects, but I managed to get a couple Frog Knights finished. These guys took a lot longer than I wanted them to. (And then they sat around for even longer before I got around to photographing them.)

I based the color scheme of the squawks in part on a parrot my brother used to have, because I wanted them to look like hate.

I'm pretty sure I can replace the left wing with a matching one made of plasticard and green stuff that's positioned closer to the body (like the right wing), and reposition the lance so it's in the upright position, so that the model is less unwieldy to actually play with. I seriously thought about doing that on one of these, but decided that I want to at least get all my heroes, minibosses, and bosses finished before I embark on a time-consuming conversion like that. I still have two more Frog Knights I can chop up later, after all.

Bashful Boris will be next. (He'll probably start getting paint tomorrow, but because I make poor decisions, I'm dividing my hobby time between SDE and a sculpting/scratch-building intensive project for Warhammer Fantasy/9th Age. So he may be a while.)

May 28th, 2016, 4:53 pm
Bottle Cap

Credit where it's due: the first badger Boris I saw was done by Relic on these forums. I thought it was cool, but I wasn't planning on emulating it. Much later, while in the throes of my unfortunate obsession with making tiny mushrooms to stick on SDE bases, I realized I needed to make a badger Boris because of the song (which I may have been singing quietly to myself at the time).

I don't own the Emerald Valley set, but now I'm going to have to get it. (Though my plan is to wait to get any more SDE stuff until I've painted what I've already got.)

August 2nd, 2016, 2:29 am
Bottle Cap

Those bases are beautiful. Well done.

January 9th, 2017, 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]