View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2017, 6:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Odinsgrandson's SDE (August 17- Ruby and Emerald) 
Denizen

It's the Noh empire symbol from RK

February 5th, 2016, 1:07 pm
Denizen

Lovely work btw!

February 5th, 2016, 1:08 pm
Mini-Boss

Here is one of my favorite sets of minis, of all time. They're the Fungal Growth Spawn point for Super Dungeon Explore, and I based the color schemes on the various colors of mushroom monsters from the Dragon Quest series.

June 8th, 2016, 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Looking excellent as always! I am quite taken by the stalk colour on them.

June 9th, 2016, 1:21 pm
Mini-Boss

Some miniatures represent a real challenge. They’re loaded with so much detail that you may need to find references to figure out what all of it is, and even then you can run into difficulties making each individual bit pop. Lining each piece, and making sure the colors coordinate while also keeping the value contrast high enough that each bit stands out just enough (and not too much) can be challenging and rewarding.

Then there are minis like these Super Dungeon Explore’s ghosts. Somehow, I find myself absolutely loving these designs, despite their simplicity (I mean, we’ve got one area here, then the eyes).

Naturally, I couldn’t resist painting them in Pac Man colors.

June 21st, 2016, 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

Where's Blinky?!?

Also the shrooms look really cool! Forgot to comment earlier :)

June 21st, 2016, 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Those ghosts are wonderful. The way you did their eyes reminds me of the rat creatures in Bone; I'm definitely going to try doing eyes like that on... something.

The evil mushroom models always make me smile, and you did a fantastic job on them. I noticed that the spots on the cap are the same on each of them. Are they part of the sculpt?

June 22nd, 2016, 10:42 pm
Mini-Boss

@Von: yes, the shrooms have sculpted dots.

June 23rd, 2016, 1:10 pm
Ninja Corps

Just wanted to chime in and say great job. Looked back over the entire thread, really nice work.

June 24th, 2016, 12:05 am
Mini-Boss

These are some trolls from Super Dungeon Explore (the Mistmourn Coast Warband).

As with most of my own Super Dungeon set, I painted each one in its own color scheme.

The yellow troll colors I chose because they match the trolls from Fantasy Forest. Fantasy Forest is an old TSR game I played when I was five- it is basically like Candy Land except that you get ambushed by orcs and kobolds along the way.

The spawn point was just perfectly designed for an OSL effect, so I had to go that direction with it:

September 16th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Saw these on Ninja Division's twitter feed.
TBH I'm sometimes not a fan of your alternate colour schemes, even though they are always well painted.

These OTOH are absolutely stunning!! I love the colour choices and the paint job is so good!
Especially the skin tone on the spirit walker, so well done!

September 16th, 2016, 3:10 pm
Mini-Boss

He was the first one I did, and his skin tone gave me quite a lot of trouble. It started out far too warm-brown, and I started glazing it with more blues and eventually got it to where it is.

After that, I had an idea of how I wanted their skin- I just wanted to do something like that with other colors. I'm not sure that I ended up with the same effect at all, but I do like how they all turned out.

September 16th, 2016, 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Spectacular as always! Your work has always been excellent but I think these guys are another step up. I am particularly taken by the spirit walker.

I have been starting at my mistmourn wondering where I was going to go with their skin but just have not been able to work it out. The idea of them each having a different skintone never struck me.

September 17th, 2016, 1:27 am
Consul

Spirit Walker is by far the most beautiful. Those brown/purple shades look spectacular.
Imo he also has the most fitting troll skin color. The others look good but are BTFO by the Spiritwalker.

September 17th, 2016, 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

The "every mini has a different color scheme" is something that I've been doing from the very start with my SDE. My wife and I divy up the minis, and we usually split up the spawn points. Since neither of us want to adhere to the other's color schemes, we just do every last one differently.

Also, I paint minis for a living, and I often end up working on groups in matching colors. For my hobby painting, I prefer to paint up each one as an individual.

There are only two rules to keep the whole- we use NMM rather than metallic metals, and the major colors are all 'book ended' with complimentary colors (like shade in purple, highlight in yellow).

Goblin-King wrote:
Spirit Walker is by far the most beautiful. Those brown/purple shades look spectacular.
Imo he also has the most fitting troll skin color. The others look good but are BTFO by the Spiritwalker.

His is for sure the most natural skin tone. Part of that is because he has the most skin, and part of that came from the fact that it took me a while to get his skin tone working- and it ended up being the most complex skin tone of the lot (lots of glazes).

I had a tough time getting a green that I loved that both looked sort-of natural and also sort-of bright. After that, I mostly had to figure out what other colors of skin would work for the spawn point (I wanted all of them to be in that sort of natural, sort of jewel tone place).

I think I've improved at getting these natural-but-bright colors working. Recently, I've been using them for some of the larger monsters in Kingdom Death, and they've come out rather well.

September 19th, 2016, 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Trolls look awesome, nicely done!

September 28th, 2016, 5:17 pm
Mini-Boss

There's something about Chibi miniatures that makes me want to create fan art out of them. Fan art for many things- Kingdom Death, Siege of the Citadel, Final Fantasy, Borderlands- the list seems to go on and on.

So it shouldn't come as a surprise when I want to create characters from one of my four year old's favorite book series- <em>The Princess in Black</em>. She's a princess who is secretly a super hero who fights monsters with her ninja skills (I really love these books)

For those interested, here's what she looks like in the books:

http://www.baystateparent.com/PiB_2.jpg

October 11th, 2016, 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Awesome paint job. I am envious. You did a good job painting his fur. I bow in worship to your skills. The princess in black is a very cool nod to the books.

October 11th, 2016, 4:51 pm
Denizen

Yeah that fur is really cool. One day I will learn to paint more than flat colours and dry-brushing. But for now I will just admire others' abilties.

Also Cady looks awesome, did you model a little mask on her? Or is that all paint-job?

October 11th, 2016, 10:56 pm
Mini-Boss

I like the striped pattern on Goro. I'll have to do something similar to mine. I never liked how plain he looked.

November 5th, 2016, 2:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next