View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 7:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 my super dungeon painting/sculpting log 
Minion

I watched sword art online the other night and wanted to add the main character to sde
I started the sculpt tonight and heres what I got done so far
I just have to add the hair, finish the pupils, add the trenchcoat and work on the hands and he'll be all done.
this is the character I'm sculpting
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2 ... 66fjqm.jpg
might make some more characters depending how this one turns out in the end

Last edited by tat2artst on May 27th, 2017, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 31st, 2014, 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Dungeon Boss

What material are you sculpting with?

March 31st, 2014, 4:08 am
Denizen

Looking sweet mate! Cool pose, keep us updated!

Facebook

Instagram

March 31st, 2014, 12:36 pm
Minion

thetang22 wrote:
What material are you sculpting with?

I use aves apoxie sculplt. It works the same as greenstuff, you mix 2 parts together and it self hardens in 2 hours. Its more like working with clay and not all sticky like greenstuff is.

crappy cell phone pic, but I got the coat done now I just have to bulk up the hair and sand down/cleanup and he'll be ready for some paint. He could also be dante from dmc too. I might have to get him molded so I could do both

March 31st, 2014, 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Interesting stuff. I'll have to look up that material. I'm just getting in to sculpting myself. Keep up the awesome job.

April 2nd, 2014, 1:20 am
Minion

I get mine off ebay, I usually get a pound (it lasts me a long time) they have 1/4 also that would be good for trying it out
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apoxie-Sculpt-1 ... 43c686b389

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aves-Apoxie-Scu ... 5d4a04bcfe

I can't wait to finish this guy and do some more, I'm already thinking of other characters to do. I think the next one will be hotsuma from shinobi. I need a bad@$$ ninja

April 2nd, 2014, 2:27 am
Profile WWW
Minion

pretty much done minus a few touch ups

started the base for the ninja

April 2nd, 2014, 4:40 am
Profile WWW
Dungeon Boss

Your little guy looks much better with good lighting and clarity of the photo. Nice job. Also, the pose for the Ninja looks engaging.

April 2nd, 2014, 5:15 am
Bottle Cap

Good work so far!

I'm tempted to do this myself. I've sculpted a few heroic scale minis in the past, and I've got a few dnd characters I'd like to port over for fun.

April 2nd, 2014, 6:58 am
Mini-Boss

I'll put in a plug here for the apoxie sculpt too. I use it as a mix in with green stuff most of the time (a one to three apoxie/green mix casts well in pewter too).

Nice work, I like the hair. I've been thinking about doing a few myself (there are a few videogame characters I wish I had sculpts for).

April 2nd, 2014, 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Looking really good so far Tats, if you make some moulds and casts let us know ;)

Shinobi has started off well too! (Loved that game - found it really hard though :lol: )

Facebook

Instagram

April 2nd, 2014, 11:22 pm
Minion

thanks guys, I do want to do some molds but I'll probably wait till I have a handful of characters scuplted. I'm gonna try to do one mini a week since it takes me 3-4 nights to get one done.
I drew up some sketches at work today, I'm defintely gonna have to do rikimaru after hostuma

You guys have any ideas/suggestions for characters you'd like to see? I'm trying to stay with video game characters or cartoon characters that are in a video game (like .hack or sword art online)

April 3rd, 2014, 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Tiny Kirito'd be an adorable addition to SDE :lol:

Can't wait to see him painted

April 3rd, 2014, 5:53 am
Minion

paint challenge accepted :lol: I think this is the fastest I've ever painted a mini (under 1 hour :shock: ) needs a little touch up but I love it. His face needs some sanding but a gloss coat could possibly fix that for molding. Now I just need to come up with some stats and make a card. also need to make asuna ;) he'll fight a little bit better with her around.

ready for those dungeon bosses

I may need to rework the mouth too, not sure if I like where it is, maybe slightly higher and center.

improved mouth sculpt :D

April 3rd, 2014, 7:30 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Really well done, The mini looks fantastic! Great pose and dynamism. One tip Id give you is buy a concave clayshaper for the face, as its a little rough.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Colour-Sh ... 461d81bd16
Fourth one along. You would be amazed at the results.
Great character sketches too, looking forward to seeing the Shinobi!

Facebook

Instagram

April 4th, 2014, 10:40 pm
Minion

Thanks, I'm gonna have to see if the local hobby shop has those clay shapers. I have a set of sculpting tools that I use but nothing like that just some spade shaped blades and some curved ones (I'll try to get a pic) I haven't sanded down the face yet, I was gonna hit it with some gloss coat and get a cast made and refine the cast before making a final mold, resin is a bit easier to sand.

This is my first fully sculpted figure so any tips/feedback is appreciated and will greatly help me with future sculpts. I've only sculpted on existing figures/miniatures in the past. I definitely need some practice with smoothing the sculpts and overall shape of the head and eyes. You guys know of any tutorials that deal with sculpting chibi style eyes and hands? Those hands were a pain too.

April 5th, 2014, 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Minion

some progress on the ninja

April 10th, 2014, 4:47 am
Profile WWW
Dungeon Boss

Keep it up. I always enjoy seeing painting w.i.p. shots, but seeing sculpting w.i.p. shots, followed by painting is even neater.

April 10th, 2014, 12:01 pm
Minion

after a long time of not doing anything (work, kids, y'know how it is...) I've been steadily getting my painting groove back on (working through some 40k figures mostly) Painted up this Brave-mode Candy inbetween some other things I've been painting. Which means now I'll be working on getting the rest of all my models painted (can't have just one painted that looks weird.)

I don't think I like the black line under the eye as much though, overall I think she turned out ok.

May 27th, 2017, 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

twilight knight is almost done. got to hit the hair with another layer of white and drybrush light grey onto the base, then clean up the black rim.

May 29th, 2017, 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next