View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 25th, 2018, 1:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Turniphead's model thread 
Bottle Cap

It rhymes, so it must be good.

I have quite an amount of SDE painted, but I'm pretty slow so I figured I'd start posting my backlog and hopefully have something new to show off by the time it's all done. I'll try to put stuff up in the order I painted it, which is pretty similar to the order released.

So, to start off here are some kobolds. I treated these (like a lot of my SDE) as a speed-painting project, so you'll notice a lot of cut corners. Kind of wish I'd bothered to at least fill the gaps in them, but back then they came unassembled and I reckoned I'd already spent far too much time putting them together by boardgame standards.

April 30th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Bottle Cap

My second spawn point was also from the core box. The Dragons. Starfire got a bit banged up, so I went back and touched up her face, which was a massive improvement. Think I'll also do something with the egg clutch, the shell is too smooth and monochrome, and there's some plastic showing through in parts, which is quite poor.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Thought I'd taken photos of the little dudes as well, but I guess not.

May 1st, 2018, 7:53 pm
Denizen

Your drakes already look like Nether Drakes!

Now we need a Nether Starfire profile to go with your purple Starfire!

King Starfire + Hubris...too much? :)

May 2nd, 2018, 3:24 pm
Bottle Cap

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Your drakes already look like Nether Drakes!

Now we need a Nether Starfire profile to go with your purple Starfire!

King Starfire + Hubris...too much? :)

We can but hope!

May 3rd, 2018, 6:14 pm
Bottle Cap

Here are my 8-bit heroes from the original box. Took some more time with them, but didn't really know how best to approach the chibi style. Decided to start trying NMM at this point, with mixed results. Thinks it's definitely a better look for SDE, but doesn't really gel with the plan for getting things painted quickly.

ImageImage
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image Image
ImageImage

May 3rd, 2018, 6:21 pm
Bottle Cap

The next batch of models I painted up was the Old growth hollowt from forgotten king. I went for a serious speed-painting approach using a primer I thought was similar to the main colour I wanted and a simple base colour, wash and highlight approach for everything. I'm not fully happy with how they look up close but it was great for getting them playable in short order and was a good learning experience.

Here's some of the work in progress.

ImageImageImage

And the finished models.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Comments and criticisms welcome!

May 19th, 2018, 10:50 pm
Denizen

I like the color scheme since they feel very autumn and on big sprout, I like how that goes with the green mouth and tongue. They definitely look gameworthy from a distance.

However, I was thinking that (going with the autumn theme), I would've expected more yellow or a highlight/dash of orange? Not sure if that'd be too busy, but that was my impression!

Thanks for sharing :D

May 21st, 2018, 2:44 pm
Bottle Cap

Cheers!

I kind of planned to have half the leaves yellow and the other half red, but the way they're distributed makes it hard for a 50/50 split and I though the red contrasted better with the body colour. Didn't even think of orange to be honest with you. Probably would have helped things look a bit more natural (sometimes the red leaves make me think more of cabbage than Autumn) or to go for yellow as the main colour and maybe even some brown to show aged leaves.

May 21st, 2018, 8:09 pm
Bottle Cap

Some more of the plant themed stuff. Think I'll go back and redo Trent at some stage, he deserves a bit more attention I think.

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage

May 27th, 2018, 7:11 pm
Bottle Cap

Few pets.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

May 31st, 2018, 7:04 pm