View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 17th, 2018, 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 [SDE] A few from Veknoid 
Denizen

Veknoid wrote:
Thanks. I will look to grabbing that colour then.

I will follow up later tonight after I've had a chance to double-check my paints. I'm 95% certain it's carrion, but for some reason I'm second-guessing myself :-\

I has a blog! http://mydnightshobbycorner.blogspot.com/

May 8th, 2014, 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Mydnight wrote:
Veknoid wrote:
Thanks. I will look to grabbing that colour then.

I will follow up later tonight after I've had a chance to double-check my paints. I'm 95% certain it's carrion, but for some reason I'm second-guessing myself :-\

Yea, I was wrong on the color. It's Vallejo Game Color 72066, Tan. I got the Carrion name as a sort of portmanteu from it's Spanish name, "Carne Marron."

I has a blog! http://mydnightshobbycorner.blogspot.com/

May 8th, 2014, 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

I have just noticed that all of my links are broken. I will get them sorted as soon as I can and get some new pictures up. I have still been painting, though I have been slack and not posted the pictures.

December 21st, 2017, 3:36 pm
Denizen

Veknoid, your stuff is both inspirational and depressing. Inspirational, because it makes me want to paint more and gives me ideas, and depressing because I have been painting for 30 years and can't even get close to this.

I wish I had a couple thousand dollars so I could pay you to paint the rest of my SDE minis.

January 4th, 2018, 11:43 pm
Ninja Corps

Thanks for that Max. I have been painting for nearly 30 years myself, but It has really only been in the last 7 years that my stuff has been to this level. Brushes and paint are both such good quality now and there are heaps of great tutorials out there.

If there is anything that I can do to help you with your painting please feel free to ask. I used to do a lot of commission work. Now when I am asked to I offer to teach the person to paint instead. :D It's just a little difficult sometimes as I am in rural Australia.

Atm I think the current Games Workshop painting videos are a great standard to set. They are easy to achieve and straight forward. Once you have tat in hand you can step it up with relative ease.

Good quality and clean brushes always help. I use GW brushes along with Art Basics (a decent quality but affordable sable brush). I also make sure to clean my brushes between each miniature and after any major base coating. With my paint I always make sure to keep it reasonably thin. Not quite as thin as a lot of people suggest. I have an old vallejo pot that I have cleaned out. I keep water in it that I can drip into my pots. I like my paint so that when I drip a drop of water into them the water diffuses through the paint and does not sit there where I dropped it. It does not have to disappear completely though.

Most of my base coating is done with a size 4 sable filbert, they are pretty much the same size and shape as the small basing brushes from GW. I don't use the gw brush here as I find that their small basing brush splits quickly and lacks a little durability.

As for paint I use evrything - GW all types ranging back to the inks from the early '90's, I love Skaven Brown ink!, P3, vallejo, Reaper Master, Army Painter, Semco, Apple Barrel - Anything with the colour that I want and that goes on well.

Just a few small things that I do there if you'd like more info please feel free to pm me.

January 5th, 2018, 2:26 am
Ninja Corps

I am finally starting to get around to taking pictures of the SDE miniatures that I have been painting.

Calico Kate and One Shot
Image Image

Princess Emerald and Mistmourne Shaman
Image Image

More to come soon, hopefully with better images.
C&C always welcome!

I am also starting to update some of the older pictures.

January 5th, 2018, 9:31 am
Denizen

Thanks for those tips. I'll check out the GW tutorials.

I think your use of liner and high-level highlights is what really sets these off. I use a wet palette and thin my paints, and use a magnifying lamp. I can wet blend and dry brush, but I'm just starting out using liner, and I'm still trying to master really good highlighting.

January 5th, 2018, 4:03 pm
Ninja Corps

Two more to add today.

House Unicorn Enforcer

Bashful Boris

C&C always welcome, more to come soon!

February 24th, 2018, 5:27 am
Bottle Cap

I love how graphic they look. Well suited for anime minis!

February 24th, 2018, 11:10 am
Mini-Boss

that cupcake looks delicious! I love the sprinkles! how'd you do that?!

March 5th, 2018, 6:34 pm
Denizen

wow you're even doing the bases! I didn't even think of that. I agree on more pastry themed heroes :)

March 5th, 2018, 10:45 pm
Ninja Corps

Thanks for the kind comments.
The sprinkles are a fine glitter. I put dabs of 'Ard Coat on and sprinkled the glitter on it. Then when it was dry I varnished the mini to help hold them down.

March 6th, 2018, 2:05 am
Denizen

wow, that's so smart. No glitter in this house on account of the 1yo.

March 6th, 2018, 2:23 am
Ninja Corps

I have been pondering which spawning point to paint for a while. I'd love to paint my Rock pies but I can not work out how I want them to look so I went with the Lava Whirl.

Blaze Beetle

Burning Gels

Ember Hounds

Fire Gels

Full Set

October 8th, 2018, 2:21 am
Bottle Cap

That is a very nice take on the lava while. Flame effect is unique and I love how it's set off against the dark stone colours.

October 9th, 2018, 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4