View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 19th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 sleepylaughter SDE gallery 
Denizen

I'm a novice painter, but I still enjoy it :). I'm still painting with my very old basic paint brushes from Michaels (> 5 yo) and Liquitex Acrylics. I did pick up some new AP brushes and model paints, but haven't broke them out yet. No, I don't paint chibi eyes and I don't intend to since we're perfectly happy with our super basic eyes (and that way my wife also doesn't need to learn).

My current plan is to paint all the models that may be used as heroes and from there, work down the bosses and spawn points and hopefully be done/mostly done b/f SDE: L delivers :).

I started an IMGUR gallery here: Super Dungeon Explore Heroes

*5/1/18 Added all imgur galleries
Pets and Creeps
Dungeon Bosses
Mini Bosses
Hero Mini Boss
Monsters
Heroes (Core)
Heroes (Level/Warband)
Heroes (Expansion)
Heroes (Crossover)

Hearthsworn Fighter, Deeproot Druid, Angry Bear, Royal Paladin, Riftling Rogue

Glimmerdusk Ranger, Ember Mage, Claw-Tribe Barbarian, Hexcast Sorceress

Starguild Sapper, Deeproot Scout, Princess Ruby

Celestial Herald, Sister of Light, Von Wilder, Von Wildling

Thundervale Huntress

Questing Knight, Fae Alchemist, Princess Emerald, Royal Warden

Dragon Blade

Silver Chevalier, MistMourn Shaman

Tabbybrook Mage, Twilight Knight, Wandering Minstrel

Braveheart Candy /w Never-lost Cola, Deeproot Wolf Rider

Scarecrow/Jack Scarecrow, Survive Marie-Claude, Cursed Captain/Captain R, Nyan-Nyan/Chaos Kitty

(Takoashi Crossover) House Siren Enforcer, House Cerberus Occultist, House Unicorn Diviner

Tusk Raider

Kunoichi Candy and Ninja Cola

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on May 1st, 2018, 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

March 12th, 2018, 3:36 pm
Denizen

Mini Bosses
Dark Centurion/Herald of Vulcanis

Wrym Claw Templar/Ser Sharpclaw

Wrym Claw Exemplar/Ser Snapjaw

Bearstruck Berserker/Bashful Boris

Outcast Succubus/Succubus Vandella

Nether Assassin/Kaelly the Nether Strider

Deeproot Treant/Trent

<Reserved for Dungeon Bosses>

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on March 24th, 2018, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 12th, 2018, 3:38 pm
Denizen

<Reserved for Spawn Points>

March 12th, 2018, 3:38 pm
Mini-Boss

Wow, you got and painted your Tusk Raider fast!

You said you were using Liquitex paints?
If you're okay with a little constructive criticism, I've seen that Liquitex paints are really thick right out of the tube. Are you cutting it down with water or painting with it right out of the tube?

Your color matching to card art is spot on, especially on the Celestial Herald and Hexcast Sorceress, but your paint looks really thick on the mini, it obscures details.

Two thin coats is better then one thick coat.

But this is just my thoughts, disregard them as you will.

March 12th, 2018, 5:24 pm
Denizen

Thanks Salaura, yes, the Liquitex is thinned as much as I can get it, but the bigger issue is that some of them are...really old. Like > 10 yo. Also, Liquitex changed their formula for some of the paints I purchased after the initial batch and have different consistency and basically everything requires some mixing to get it to stick since it's not really designed for miniatures. I know I'm losing detail, but the minis still look great on the board and I'm currently prioritizing getting minis painted quickly rather than painted well since becoming a better mini painter (outside of practice) is not my goal so much as to get the collection painted in its entirety. As a result, I only spend maybe 1 hour per mini (or 2 if it's a larger model like the Tusk Raider) and intend to spend less once I get to the spawn points. I figure worst case, I can dip a mini in paint thinner and start over, which is what we did with our old WHFB models, but we derive more enjoyment from playing with painted minis rather than painting. Everything except the SDE 1.0 heroes were painted in the past month, which is to say, more models for SDE than I've painted previously.

So although I opted to get new painting supplies, but I've been procrastinating pulling them out since I have been using very basic setup for painting (e.g. my palette is waxed paper plates...). I expect most of the other painters would cringe at my setup, but I'm ok with that :)

March 12th, 2018, 5:49 pm
Mini-Boss

As long as you and your players are happy and playing, thats what counts! :mrgreen:

March 14th, 2018, 12:37 pm
Denizen

none of them paint so I can get away with it for now! :)

March 14th, 2018, 3:08 pm
Ninja Corps

I think getting the minis painted adds a lot to the game. There is nothing wrong with a basic paint style. We each have different capacity, time and goals.
If you and your players are content that's all that counts. Painting is as much about having fun and enjoying yourself as playing is.
Keep at it!

March 15th, 2018, 5:48 pm
Denizen

Thank you! After some feedback from my wife, I got permission to go back and make the eyes bigger to better match her style. Still no true anime style eyes, but less 'dead eye staring' as my wife put it. Don't plan to re-take the photos/repost until I get more up/together.

After I finish the heroes (only 5 left!), would folks recommend painting Dungeon Bosses, Mini Bosses, or spawn points next?

I feel like there are SO MANY mini bosses, that it'd make more sense to start with Dungeon Bosses b/c they get more use. At the same time, maybe it's better to speed paint all the spawn points b/c they're used/on the board more often?

March 26th, 2018, 8:45 pm
Denizen

I usually pick a full set of bad guys, and then separate into spawn points with minions. I use this mini-org plan to make sure I paint enough to play a game. Like, I did Von Drakk, three spawn points and two mini bosses, but I parceled it out into one spawn point (with associated minions) at a time.

I'm currently working my way through Forgotten King, starting with the evil shrubbery. I'll get to the malformed forest critters next, then on to Boris and Trent, then finally ol' FK himself. But since I just finished painting a huge set of Imperial Assault, I'm taking a break for a while, so I may not finish those before 2.0 arrives.

March 26th, 2018, 11:05 pm
Denizen

Got a cheap lightbox and figured i'd retake a bunch of photos and add them to my Imgur Albums and decide later which ones to embed to the forums since it's quite a bit of work. Will add links to the galleries here as I get them put together (working my way through 200 photos o.O).

*5/1/18 added Imgur galleries

Pets and Creeps
Dungeon Bosses
Mini Bosses
Hero Mini Boss
Monsters
Heroes (Core)
Heroes (Level/Warband)
Heroes (Expansion)
Heroes (Crossover)

April 30th, 2018, 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]