View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2017, 9:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Paris Rokin's Painted Plastic 
Bottle Cap

Hi all, I picked up Forgotten King about a year ago, and soon after backed Legends. I set out with the goal of having all my SDE painted by the time it came in; I painted little more than one spawner, and bought most of the existing models, so I am WAAYYYYY behind. I have recently started painting again, and thought I might as well share my efforts with the world (or one forum). Maybe this will make sure I don't take another year long break.

In the order that I painted them:

Half of the Rabid Squirrels

Princess Emerald, painted like Caitlyn from League of Legends

Bramble Knight
Billmen
Frog Knights
Grobbit Executioner
Group Shot

Slimes

Mr. Chompers

Bashful Boris, painted like a badger lord in the grip of bloodwrath

That's it for things painted last spring. I then went on a very long hiatus, consisting mostly of Dark Souls 3 and XCOM 2. I also reread A Game of Thrones, which inspired the next spawn point, done a couple weeks ago:

Grabby House, painted like wights. Note the black and brown clothes are for Night's Watch and Wildling wights. I should probably paint the Crown Guard as Night's Watch, and find some savage humans to be Wildlings...
Swampies
Prowlers
Pudges
I kind of feel like an idiot. I meant to make the witch's eyes and flame blue, to match the eyes of the wights, but I was looking at card art for guidance and completely forgot what I was doing :roll: oh well
Shamble Priest
Grabby Houses
Group Shot

Gruesome George

I finally decided to learn how to layer (after six years of painting 40k... that's a bit embarassing). It's actually easy, and I notice a huge improvement even with the first model. Thanks to Aella13's youtube channel for tips on layering, and especially eyes

Survivor Marie-Claude

Fae Alchemist

Kunoichi Candy

The Forgotten King. First attempt at OSL, it's not terrible but I'm not especially happy with it either

Chests, painted like they're from Skyward Sword

Boo Booties, painted like the three different flavors of mimic. The bouncing booty was inspired by Nkelsch's awesome work, and was my first attempt at using greenstuff
Sproing!

That's all for now; current goal is to paint the remaining minis from the Forgotten King box, because that seems like a good milestone

My painted SDE gallery

March 9th, 2017, 1:34 am
Minion

Nicely done! Your work has this slight gritty feel to it which works especially well on those zombies! And it's a good first attempt at green stuff. The tongue looks natural out the side of that bouncing booty. With something like the spring, you can put an actual wire in and wrap it in greenstuff. I have learned from experience that putty doesn't support itself too well before it's dry and can sag as it sets, leaving a little bit of a squished look.

Getting through everything can take a very long time. I still have a few unpainted warbands that I got with the FK Kickstarter. My minis are on hiatus while I play Breath of the Wild. XD

March 9th, 2017, 11:04 pm
Minion

These look awesome!! Your Konoichi Candy reminds me of Sakura Haruno from Naruto, was that on purpose?

March 10th, 2017, 10:17 pm
Bottle Cap

The gritty feel comes from learning to paint via warhammer 40k; it would be hard to unlearn, but I think it looks good, if a little different, on SDE models. The wire is a good idea, maybe I'll make another, improved bouncing booty in the future

I've never watched Naruto, the reference is a complete accident; I went with a red kimono because it's similar to official colors, but I didn't want her hair and dress to be the same color. I picked white because I think I recall a Street Fighter (or maybe Mortal Kombat?) character wearing red with white trim and it looked pretty cool

My painted SDE gallery

March 11th, 2017, 3:07 am
Bottle Cap

Update! Woo! I painted the Questing Knight green because he used to be a Bramble Knight, and they seem to wear green a lot (certainly when I paint them, anyway)

And the three remaining Rabid Squirrels

Comments and critiques are welcome!

My painted SDE gallery

March 17th, 2017, 11:18 pm
Bottle Cap

Update!

I'm not especially fond of the Old-Growth Hollow models, so I did them rather quickly. Glad to have most of them out of the way

Mooks

Turnipheads

Old-Growth Hollow

Trent

Just the wisps and sprout remaining, then I can get on to the heroes, pets, and cursed knight

My painted SDE gallery

March 23rd, 2017, 11:00 pm
Bottle Cap

It's fun to watch your gritty WH40k background do battle with your clear appreciation for the SDE minis. The blood in this setting gives me an almost comical Monty Python feeling, like a dash of the real in the land of the fae. It's all so nicely crisp too, with interesting color choices. The grabby house are especially fantastic in these regards, but your whole FK set looks great on tile.

March 27th, 2017, 2:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]