View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Forgotten King Custom Tiles 
Minion

Has anyone made 3D custom tiles for Forgotten King? I've seen plenty of dungeons and even a bunch of spooky manor houses, but not much in the way of forest floors.

The thing is, you can make dungeon floors into squares just by using strategic crack placement. You can make a cool tile floor into squares - that's not even tough. But a forest floor has grass and leaves and dirt and stuff, and so you're stuck just kind of drawing lines on it because, as stated in Prometheus, God doesn't build in straight lines.

I'm about to go buy a bunch of foam insulation sheets and start making my own tiles, but I can't figure out how I'm going to do forest floors. I would love some examples of how people did squares without just drawing lines, because I love the idea of making the squares seem like they occur naturally.

February 16th, 2017, 7:01 pm
Bottle Cap

Perhaps you could do a natural forest floor, and instead of complete squares just etch in the corners of the squares to suggest the spacing.

February 17th, 2017, 1:51 am
Bottle Cap

you could use some of these:
elevation (which allow some squares are 1-2 mm higher or lower and allows to create a breaks between squares of same types)
different types of grass patches,
some squares could me made of rock or mud puddles (how strange that all rock formations and puddles a roughly square shaped :) ).
roads which may be just path, or some stone road, with grass overgrowth ( possibly more grass to the sides of the square)
tree stumps.
squares could be made independent from one another, thus creating more interesting division between them.
i would suggest to check krossmaster terrain, maybe you could find some other ideas there

February 17th, 2017, 5:42 am
Minion

Sandy, those are some cool ideas. I like the idea of alternating terrain types and subtle elevation shifts to create squares. Where it makes sense, I am also considering ivy and roots that loop around, coincidentally lining up with the squares. Low-cut tree stumps, mud puddles, stone formations and other variations could mark out a square grid without having to just draw lines.

Thanks for the help!

February 17th, 2017, 3:04 pm
Bottle Cap

Another idea might be too have small pointy items, such as leaves, sticks, bone, etc sticking up out of the textured floor in a grid where the square corners would be but have no lines between the corners.

February 17th, 2017, 10:51 pm
Bottle Cap

I made Von Drak tiles with swamps and grave yard. She I glued plasticard down for stones and patches of Graz to represent "squares". I can post some pics when I get home.

February 18th, 2017, 1:15 am
Denizen

I've seen people make their own custom blood Bowl pitches out of foam.
To mark the squares they used tile spacers (available from DIY shops) on the corners where the squares intersect.
They dug a small cross shaped groove into the foam and glued them in.
Would work on SDE boards.

Alternatively for the overgrown castle boards you could have flagstones carved into the foam, then cover with patches of static grass, flock, leaf scatter & vines etc, but not to totally obscure the flagstones underneath.

February 18th, 2017, 8:03 am
Bottle Cap

http://www.brokenegggames.com/terrain/a ... s-mat.html

You could always start with one of these mats and make all modular terrain accessories to place on it.
Hedge rows
Trees
Ruins
Big stones.

Shacks or what not.

February 18th, 2017, 4:07 pm
Minion

DungeonCrawler wrote:
Alternatively for the overgrown castle boards you could have flagstones carved into the foam, then cover with patches of static grass, flock, leaf scatter & vines etc, but not to totally obscure the flagstones underneath.

That's an excellent idea as well!

I can't wait to start on these. I'll post pics as I get them done.

Fair warning - don't hold your breath. I tend to get too many projects going at a time.

February 20th, 2017, 10:08 pm
Bottle Cap

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with here :D

There is some really great leaf scatter available these days... I thought about using that on my boards but in the end the price put me off.

I did a rigid geometric grid covered in flock for the grassed areas on my garden board... that was my concession to the forgotten king release. If I was to do it again I think I would try something different as I was never 100% happy with the grass grid. The crystal caves boards I did had accurately spaced squares... but with a much more organic pattern as I drew the grid lightly in pencil then carved random rock shapes around it. Perhaps a texture of mud/roots underneath would have looked a bit more interesting? I don't know :)

February 22nd, 2017, 8:07 am
Minion

Thanks for sharing that, Fibretip. I am hoping to do something else for grass than a flocked grid, but it's a good frame of reference and I love the tree trunks.

February 22nd, 2017, 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]