View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 19th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Manic's Stuff for Fun - Models and bits * Updated:30/12/18 
Mini-Boss

Next project is the Dash board for Single Heroes (Explore/Arcade). been toying around with design ideas for a while and this one seems good and already got a couple printed for testing. Dash holds 5 cards (Hero, 4 Loot/treasure addons), plus 12 Token spaces for Health, Potion, status effects

================

January 7th, 2019, 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Re: Cornet - what does Puppet Master do?

Is he/she for FK or 2.0 Pet Parade rules?

Take the Initiative seems very powerful for a 2 AP support action for SDE 2.0. Some pets cost 3 pet food and if you're using a suicidal pet like the Demolition turtle and/or your penguin, this could make them broken. Kind of depends on the pet and the performance they have, but still, I don't think Classic or Arcade 2.0 have any options as the Consul to address this aside from the hero hitting like a wet noodle and has a variable heal.

Why is Strawberry Kiss remove all status effects? Isn't that just Remedy?

January 7th, 2019, 4:11 pm
Mini-Boss

For the dashboard, you may want to consider how to handle the activation token for SDE 2.0 along with wrath for Arcade. Wrath gets traded around a lot. Activation token I hate putting it on/off my hero card b/c it's so easy to fall off or get bumped. Finally in classic 2.0 you may get princess coins to increase your defense if you die (a lot). Basically I'm not entirely sure 12 token spaces is all that much!

Sometimes I wonder if there's an easy way to 'slot' them in so they stand up instead of covering your hero card, but that might be difficult and/or have worry of damaging the tokens.

January 7th, 2019, 4:13 pm
Mini-Boss

Cornet:

The card back is in the zip but I probably should have inserted it too ^_^
basically, it allows her to start the game with 2 pets, instead of 1, but rules for play carry on as normal. It's basically just the Pet X ability BUT without the gain of allowing the pet to automatically begin in the game regardless of starting cost, or the loss that it can never be used by another player. Pet Parade rules say each player picks a pet to start with, but before you start, randomly pick one pet that will start in game, the others have to be summoned. Pet X ability means you get that Pet in the game automatically AS WELL as the random one (so 2 pets start the game), but you have to be it's master. of course, this doesn't give the 'master' an extra pet or anything, but for Puppet Master, it does. I think the loss of benefit and gain or another kinda balance it out.

More 2.0 - Pet Parade. Possible with FK but not really.. I could do another card which will do the fairly minor conversion job (without using the pet parade route, It would be the Brave Mode Candy rules with giving her a pet automatically).

I was debating if Take the initiative is over powered or not, but decided that it wasn't really, as she had such a low attack, that it would be kinda like a replacement for her attack.. but as she could still do one action other then that, I guess it might be a bit overpowered.. might be better as another 3 pointer. Hell, look at the NPC cards.. they are reskins with renamed abilities for that reason.

Strawberry kiss is pretty much the same as Remedy. Like with a lot of jrpgs, name two heroes (or even enemies) which have the same potion or attack but with the same name?

DashBoard:
Ah, but princess coins aren't part of the same Dash board. While I could do a printable update to the backpack but the backpack is shared between all the players and houses defeated monsters when it comes to Loot/treasure cards, Loot and Treasure decks, and the princess coins. again, they are all shared.

However, like you said, you can get coins to increase your defence.. but you don't get new coins.. The game starts with the number of players +1 coin. Without all the bending of the rules which it allows to make the game 'harder or easier if you want', there is a pretty small limit of them.

taking the normal backpack, there are 7 places for princess Coins, allowing you to have up to 6 heroes in a party. fair enough. Is there any hero that has more then 6 Hearts? most heroes have 1 potion, or sometimes 2. so that takes up 8 token spaces, leaving 4 left. Status effects don't last long and .. it's possible but unlikely to have more then 2 at one time. if you are a very bad player, it's possible to need to use more then the two reminding spaces for princess coins...

As for Arcade.. yeah.. as said before, I'm not a player of arcade mode so yeah.. need to think about that.. might increase the spaces..

Oh and the cards don't lay flat. they don't fully stand up, which I think would make them harder to read, but they are at an angle without covering up any other cards so it uses space well being useable. I'll show a couple of images soon.. I got two printed now (one was prototype which is still useable) and I can see about adding.. mm.. design wise, 4 more token slots is easy enough.. adding more might start to have it looking a bit too messy or taking up too much space unless I move some things around..

================

January 7th, 2019, 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Thanks - that makes sense. I'm of the personal opinion that the pets are not balanced depending on which hero they're attached to, but that's not a huge issue given balance in general for SDE it's 'close enough'.

Having a hero with two pets could be interesting. I would maybe consider having a 1 AP support action where the Puppet Master can have a Pet perform a single action similar to the Celestial Healer. Based on how he's set up right now, he'll often be forced to do a 1B STR attack and that just kind of feels wasteful/bad.

Maybe consider having an ability similar to Martyr on the Celestial healer where he can either takes wounds for pets or have pets take wounds for him (since he can resummon them and just use them as meat shields).

Based on that...is puppet master appropriate? I was thinking like Pet Trainer like pokemon based on your explanation.

For the potion, I was just thinking you could put the text Remedy instead of writing it all out. The other thing to consider it maybe a potion that Heals and can be used to heal pets specifically.

Using a princess coin that's used to increase your defense I was thinking you'd want to see if it could fit into the same slot as a status effect. not all the tokens are the same size so i guess it depends on whether it's worth the trouble for you to consider. I agree, it should come up so rarely it may not be worth it.

Also consider there are ways, at least in Arcade, to get more princess coins. Don't remember for sure for Classic.

Yes, Tusk Raider has 7 HP. Most have 5-6 HP.

Hrmm...if you have the cards on stands, which I've seen for some other games (like Gloomhaven), it can save space, but I'm not a personal fan. Of course, it's personal preference. I just wonder how a card standing up handles the bottom and top equipment cards elegantly.

January 7th, 2019, 7:26 pm
Mini-Boss

well, for the term puppet master, it's more kind linked to the character. She is a girl that has a special ability to be able to talk to Puppets and 'bring them to life'. I think I even mention, the original game name was even 'Puppet Princess' as the Puppets were a key focus. in the game, pretty much every member of the party apart from Cornet, was a Puppet. I did debate in having a new 'class' of character being puppets, the same as Elves, Dwarfs etc, and she can use one of them as if they were a pet, but that would just create tons of problems not worth going into. So lets say, story wise, the second pet is infact, a puppet of a pet ^_^

A potion to heal pets is interesting, and ah, yeah, I could reuse Remedy.. or I could call the same thing by a different name, but having the details on the back is kinda something I forgot about ^_^

I think most of the tokens are the same size now (in fact, weren't most of them the same size before? atleast, the ones I checked which were ones which would be used on this kinda thing (ie linked to the hero in question) seamed to be the same size.. i'll have to recheck that.

and yeah.. forgot about the Tusk Raider..

The cards aren't fully on stands.. basically, the main hero card is on a tray in the middle, 3 equipment cards are around the edges at about 45 degree angles, with one at the bottom just slightly angled up, it does, surprisingly, do a fair bit to safe space while making them easy to use. fully standing up would be totally worthless for bottom and top equipment. Another method I was thinking about earlier in an early mockup, would have had them still slide 1/3-1/2 the way under the hero but it meant the hero card was raised a fair bit and just became a mess of a design. basically, the design was based on some old idea bits from games... around 60s to early 80s.. kinda a large bulk of my collection ^_^

================

January 7th, 2019, 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I measured a bunch of the game components awhile back with a ruler (so this is not precise), but there are 3 sizes of tokens

FK/Arena Game Token dimensions:
Potion, Heart, Crystal, Status Effect, and Wrath tokens are ~¾ inch diameter (~1.9cm)
Princess Coins, Start Tokens, Keys, and Skulls are ⅞ inch (~2.3 cm)
Bone Piles are 1 inch diameter (~2.5 cm)

January 7th, 2019, 9:58 pm
Mini-Boss

Ah

Bone piles aren't worth mentioning in this case.
Skulls, Start, and Keys aren't either really.. but the princess coins are.. mm.. 2.3cm.. might be a tight fit.. I knew that technically (though I originally did want a second inter dip) the plastic tokens wouldn't fit but the princess coins might not fit.. I made the holes around 2cm I believe.. though I thought I checked with a princess coin.. maybe didn't..
okay then ^_^ thanks

================

January 7th, 2019, 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

i don't know if the princess coins will be the same dimensions for 2.0 (assuming it's produced) you could measure the proofs for classic 2.0, but probably not worth the effort.

i use keys as activation tokens.

I also use the plastic heart/potion tokens due to smaller footprint.

January 8th, 2019, 6:42 am
Mini-Boss

I'll get a digital render done soon but I've done some adjustments to the lower part of the tray, added 4 new spaces so it can hold 4 more tokens, also changed the token holes so they can ALSO support Large tokens or two of the plastic tokens. I need to do a slight adjustment on that but looking good so far.

================

January 11th, 2019, 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Argh.. really need to get stuff done but.. issues ^_^; long term issues, nothing to worry about..

anyway.. Added them 4 spaces, so 16 spaces for Tokens, each space can hold: 1 Small token OR 1 large token OR 2 plastic tokens. Approx. 23cm long by 17cm wide which I don't think is too big.. the bottom can (in theory) hang off the table, or the side depending on how you want to have things (the size is about 2 credit cards wide, and 2 and 2/3rd long). Ruby, Emerald & amethyst equipment slots are angled upwards for easer use and slotting, with the sapphire one slightly angled but not much as it would be a problem. Tokens located for easy access and checking, while not getting in the way of the cards. You should be easily able to remove cards without knocking tokens etc.

================

January 21st, 2019, 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Okay, Render of my Dash Tray. It prints in two pieces (I guess you can print it in one it you have a big enough printer). As stated above, about 23cm long, 17cm wide, it can hole 5 cards (Hero + 4 Equipment), 16 Large Tokens (like Princess coins) OR 16 Small tokens like Hearts and Potions, OR 32 small Plastic tokens (heart and Potions). You can mix them up so it should give enough space for the amount of tokens needed in the average game. Hero card space is slightly bigger to allow easy removal of the card, the equipment slots may need a tiny bit of filing depending on your printer settings, but will hold the cards pretty well. the two parts don't clip together but there is a small overlap for easy gluing. They will store pretty well by stacking on top of each other. No supports needed for printing.

================

February 4th, 2019, 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3