View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11th, 2017, 3:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Endless mode, Shooting Gallery and co-op alternate rules 
Minion

Kingdom death had the cool twilight knight crossover for forgotten king. They just released a sci-fi white speaker that I think would be a great crossover for Rail Raiders
http://fav.me/dblj9yw

Rail Raiders Endless Mode

This alternate mode utilizes all the train car tiles except the locomotive. Setup starts by laying down the caboose and 3 random cars. Raiders can board the train as outlined in the regular rules.

This mode uses all of the high noon cards.

When one raider reaches the front car place down another random car in front of it and remove the very last car. If there are any raiders on the car when it is removed they must roll their dice and get a rank 3 or higher to be placed on the adjacent car otherwise they are thrown off the train. They must score atleast a rank 3 to get back on the end car (unless the caboose is still in play)

You may only move toward the front of the train unless placed by the result of a fight or card effect

When the Caboose is removed from play do not shuffle it back into the train car pile. Any other train car can be reshuffled after the train car pile is depleted.

When a card references the Locomotive, treat it as the car at the front of the line.

The game is over when one raider collects 15[$$] (you can adjust this amount for a shorter or longer game, its around 10[$$] an hour)

Shooting Gallery
See who can score the most lawbot kills before reaching the locomotive. In this mode, each lawbot is worth 1[$$] (Basically use the [$$] as score counters.)

Setup is the same as regular rules
Remove [$$] scoring loot cards.
Each player pulls a number of loot cards (max 3) per # of players and chooses one to start the game with.
A raider losing a showdown with another raider doesnt lose a [$$] to the winning raider.
Game ends when the high noon deck ends or a raider moves onto the locomotive

For even more [$$] goodness double each train cars laotl cards drawn.

Co-op 
setup- caboose, and 3 random train cars. (this is one stage, when you reach the last car you fight an elite lawbot and then if successfull you move the raiders to the caboose and remove the train cars, placing down 3 new ones. Each new level will become harder to beat by increasing loatl cards and reducing loot tokens, also elite lawbots will be tougher)
use all the cards of each deck.
all players start with 5 [$$] (this acts as a health system) 
for each player after 2 add one loatl draw to all train cars (ex: 4 player game if a car says 2 loatl cards draw 2 extra)
raiders do not compete against each other, when joining a showdown each raider in the fight may reroll one dice and every raider that beats the lawbots hand destroys a lawbot.
raiders that lose against lawbots lose a [$$] equal to the highest lawbots scoring amount (a group with a deputy, you would lose 2[$$])
elite lawbots: the highest ranking lawbot on the last car becomes the elite lawbot. when losing against an elite lawbot raiders are thrown off the train (even if they posses abilities that would say otherwise) these raiders also lose 5 [$$]. All standard rules for the type of lawbot it is also apply to elite lawbots (ex: marshals get an extra dice like normal)
you must have atleast 5[$$] to get back on the train, other players may share their coins to another player to get them up to 5[$$] if all players are off the train and don't have enough [$$] to get back on the game ends 
stage charts would be like :
stage 1 normal, no changes
stage 2 +1 loatl cards drawn
stage 3 +2 loatl cards, -1 loot tokens per car
stage 4 +3 loatl cards, -2 loot tokens, when losing against a marshal get thrown off the train
and so on... (obviously needs some extensive testing)

those are just some quick ideas, it could get pretty intensive maybe even adding a shop/leveling system where you can exchange [$$] for extra dice, rerolls, weapons, equipment

Last edited by tat2artst on September 23rd, 2017, 12:16 am, edited 11 times in total.

August 17th, 2016, 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Cool stuff *thumbs up*

Check out my blog: https://thelandofaporia.wordpress.com/

August 27th, 2016, 2:04 pm
Mini-Boss

Hee hee hee...

September 30th, 2016, 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

You know, I bet I could make her out of one of the extra Kunoichis I have...

October 2nd, 2016, 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

I could see a tora kunoichi working form the body.

October 2nd, 2016, 3:34 am
Minion

odinsgrandson wrote:

yea that would be pretty close. If you do it and make some resin casts, I'd buy one or if you want to do a commission you can paint and sculpt better than I'd ever hope to.

October 2nd, 2016, 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

tat2artst wrote:
odinsgrandson wrote:

yea that would be pretty close. If you do it and make some resin casts, I'd buy one or if you want to do a commission you can paint and sculpt better than I'd ever hope to.

If I make her out of an existing mini, then I can't make copies of her (copyright issues- I don't have the rights to literally copy NJ's mini).

November 15th, 2016, 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

drew up sketches of this character a long while ago. I liked the idea of a lawbot turned raider mini. heres a quick digital drawing I did just a little bit ago.

http://fav.me/dblj82t

August 28th, 2017, 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Minion

thinking of a way to use all the train cars and high noon cards. haven't played it yet if anyone gives it a go let me know what you think.

Rail Raiders Double Dollar Dash "Endless Mode"

This alternate mode utilizes all the train car tiles except the locomotive. Setup starts by laying down the caboose and 4 random cars. Raiders can board the train as outlined in the regular rules.

This mode uses all of the high noon cards.

When one raider reaches the front car place down another random car in front of it and remove the very last car. If there are any raiders on the car when it is removed they must roll their dice and get a rank 3 or higher to move to the adjacent car otherwise they are thrown off the train. They must score atleast a rank 2 to get back on the end car (unless the caboose is still in play)

You may only move toward the front of the train unless placed by the result of a fight or card effect

When the Caboose is removed from play do not shuffle it back into the train car pile. Any other train car can be reshuffled after the train car pile is depleted.

When a card references the Locomotive, treat it as the car at the front of the line.

The game is over when one raider collects 25[$$] (you can adjust this amount for a shorter or longer game)

"Hard Mode" Rules
Whenever any raider loses in a showdown against lawbots they lose 1[$$] (return it to the game box/tray)

If the lawbots rank is 4 ranks higher than a raiders rank that raider is thrown off the train.

Alternate Objectives

"Last Raider Standing"
Raiders only have one try to get back on the train after being thrown off for any reason. Any player that loses their raider may take control of the lawbots for their turn, performing 3 actions with any lawbot in play (move or showdown) or may draw a loatl card and assign it to any car in play.

When a raider starts his turn or moves onto a train car they do not have to flip it over

The game ends when only one Raider remains on the train.

*When playing this objective it is reccommended not to use tazak or chuy or agree to modify their abilities*

"Shooting Gallery"
See who can score the most lawbot kills before reaching the locomotive. In this mode, each lawbot is worth 1[$$], and Raiders don't lose [$$] to other Raiders if they lose a showdown. (Basically use the [$$] as score counters.)

You must move forward at least once each turn

Shuffle the locomotive tile into the train car pile. When a raider moves onto the locomotive tile they cannot do any actions and the game ends when the last raider moves onto the tile. Tally up the scores, the raider with the most [$$] wins

Last edited by tat2artst on August 29th, 2017, 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

August 28th, 2017, 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

I like the idea of the endless mode. My only concern is that certain raiders might need to be banned or adjusted. Tazak in particular should at the least have a rule for this mode that requires him to win by at least 2 ranks for his ability to trigger.

August 29th, 2017, 1:29 am
Minion

I didn't read all the abities beforehand but looking at his card he does pose a problem for this mode, chuy too. wouldn't really be a problem with a score limit just remove the rule about getting knocked off permanently and just keep jumping back on the train till one person hits the goal amount. maybe I'll focus on that and just rename it endless cash rush or something. thanks for the feedback, I gotta read through all these cards and see if anything else might be problematic for this mode

August 29th, 2017, 2:42 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

I really like the 'Last One Standing' idea. Just need to ban a few raiders - nothing wrong with that, as there's a wide enough selection of options, even if you're only using the core box.

So there's basically 3 variants for endless mode: Score (Cash Grab), King of the Hill/Last One Standing, and Combined. For Combined, I'd reccomend a lower [$$] score to keep the pressure up.

Another option for Endless Mode would be "Shooting Gallery" to see who could score the most lawbot kills. In this case, each lawbot is worth 1[$$], and Raiders don't lose [$$] to other Raiders if they lose a showdown. (Basically use the [$$] as score counters.)

August 29th, 2017, 3:03 am
Minion

nice, I like the shooting gallery idea. modded the main rules for the cash run I'll add the 2 sub sections for the alternate objectives.

added the up to date rules on the first post

August 29th, 2017, 3:31 am
Profile WWW
Minion

so I had an idea earlier, with the loot deck for the shooting gallery rules, remove all the [$$] cards and just use the weapons and equipment cards.

I'm thinking all weapons/equipment are one time use or lost when you either lose a fight or get thrown off the train (want it to play like a side scroller shooter like contra and the like)

Maybe also using only the loatl cards that spawn lawbots as well, that way each car should get a decent fill of lawbots (I'll have to go through the deck and re-read the cards though there may be some others that would be good to include.

also in the first post I added the locomotive to the train car pile instead of doing a score limit goal for the shooting gallery. I like the idea of it being a mad rush to the front of the train as raiders are blasting holes into everything in their way. It'll need some playtesting to see if it feels right but at the least it might be a nice alternative to give a random time limit in place of the high noon deck.

Let me know what you think. I'm gonna try to get a test game in today of the [$$] dash mode to see if it gives me any additional rule tweaks I haven't thought of.

August 29th, 2017, 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

I like the idea of including the Locomotive as the finisher for the shooting gallery. I would suggest using one of two possible changes, though:

1. Players agree on a set train length, and simply lay out the train as normal. When all raiders have moved off the "standard" (non-caboose/ Locomotive) tile furthest from the Locomotive, remove it and slide the caboose into its position. Any Lawbots on the removed car are lost. Raiders may only board the train via the caboose after the initiatal boarding.

Hard Mode: "Sudden Death" Lawbots on removed cars are instead moved forward one car. The game doesn't end until either all Lawbots are cleared from the locomotive, or all raiders have been thrown from the train. When the first Raider reaches the Locomotive, remove the caboose from the train.

(In this mode, the caboose works as a mobile spawn point, and the hard mode adds a layer of strategy.)

2. After the initial 4 train cars have been placed in front of the caboose, shuffle the Locomotive with the remaining cars and play as normal for endless mode. The first Raider to enter the Locomotive triggers the end of the game, any players who have yet to take their turn in the round do so, and then the final score is tallied.

I like both options because they add a level of strategy to the mode, allowing a player to balance their score with how fast they press onward. Otherwise the shooting gallery comes down mainly to luck, as your turn order will greatly impact what opportunities you have to score.

--

I also feel that Shooting Gallery should have a note that friendly fire is optional - since the only score that matters is umber of not kills, stealing/looting [$$] is irrelevant, but the option to play with or without showdowns between Raiders will change how the mode is played, as well as what Raiders are worth using.

--

If this doesn't get SPM's attention for them to do an official PDF release of the variants, I'm willing to throw together a nice looking document people can print off, once the rules are finalized.

August 29th, 2017, 5:17 pm
Minion

nice, #1 almost sounds like it can be made into another objective "Survival" each time you reset the caboose it becomes the next stage and lawbots gain bonuses each stage making them harder and harder to beat. I can see this as being the full co-op experience where everybody works together to see how far they can make it. You score how many kills and stages you make it through (1[$$] each) to determine who is the best survivor.

With #2 I definitely like the idea it ends with the first person reaching instead of waiting for the last one. I do think this will probably end up being a set limit of cars depending how many players, but will need a few playthroughs to determine exactly how many is a good amount.

I still think joining a showdown with another raider would be valid, you can steal the kill point and bump the raider to the car behind you . you just don't take a [$$] from the raider that you moved. since this mode is every bit a race as it is killing the most throwing a raider behind a car will be advantageous for yourself. especially if #1 becomes a co-op mode then the showdown rules would be modified for that play.

I would test both ways and see which one is better. maybe get rid of the lawbots moving raiders and keep it strictly raider v raider throwing.

a nice looking pdf would be awesome, makes me want to get to it and get this stuff played and tweaked till its solid. This mode will be priority after I get through a few plays of [$$] Dash. The more ideas we throw around the more I feel last raider standing is probably the weakest mode compared to the rest.

If they haven't written that scenario yet maybe this will give them some ideas

anyone near ne ohio that wants to come help test these rules let me know.

August 29th, 2017, 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

I really like these variant ideas. A pdf would be great once the rules are tested and tweaked. I would help play test except it is hard to playtest with my young kids. We love RRI and once my kids are comfortable enough with the current rules we will definetly try a game with the variants. Keep the ideas coming.

August 29th, 2017, 8:42 pm
Minion

thanks, i've wanted to do an endless car mode since they pitched the kickstarter. I'm hoping I can get ddd mode concrete in the next couple days and start on the next mode.

you get any ideas/suggestions feel free to throw them here

just played a 3 player ddd 4 tiles on the board (5 will be too much) pace was about the same as the regular game. we went through 7 tiles in an hour and ended with the highest amount at 11[$$]. Felt the same as playing regular rri but there was no shortage of loot and bots as you can move forward to generate a new car. downside being if you're on the last car and lose against lawbots or raider you could only be placed forward one car (or change it to knocking the raider off the car)

rank 2 was a little easy to get to re-board may just leave it at rank 3 if there is no caboose.

I'm gonna try 3 train cars on the board for the next game and see if its more how I imagine it playing.

August 29th, 2017, 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

How has your own testing been going? One thing I tried that I really liked for some added tension is to shift the train every round:
After the the last player has taken their turn, remove the last car and place a new car face down at the front of the train. This forces players to keep moving and makes things interesting. It is not a "hard mode" rule to use when playing with the Locomotive, however.

I was thinking about this earlier today, and have the itch to design the PDF, so if you think the rules as written in the OP are solid, I'll start formatting things :)

September 21st, 2017, 10:14 pm
Minion

played a couple games of the $$dash. havent been able to test the others yet. had a baby on the 6th so time has been limited. the few games i played felt like an alternate version of the main game and not so much dash-y need to tweak with the decks and tiles a bit.

September 21st, 2017, 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next