View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 23rd, 2017, 7:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Raider References 
Mini-Boss

For Rail Raiders, it seems to me like every raider is a reference. At this moment, I can name most of them:

Pearl Heart- Pearl Hart
Huckleberry - Doc Holiday as portrayed by Val Kilmer in Tombstone
Tazak Geronimo - Geronimo
Josie Oakley - Anne Oakley
The Kid - Billy the Kid
Candy - Candy
El Cola - Zoro
JR Dallas- JR, from Dallas
Thorne- Spike from Cowboy Beebop
Canton Cobb- Jayn from Firefly
Typhoon- Vash the Stampete from Trigun
Chuy - Boba Fett

The ones I'm currently not sure on:

Cactus Zach
Whistlin Pete- He does look a lot like Stinky Pete from Toystory to me
Kingsman
Rhinestone- Perhaps she's a long lost princess of Crystalia? She does have a jewel name.

April 21st, 2016, 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Rhinestone is Red Monika from BattleChasers

April 21st, 2016, 5:19 pm
Bottle Cap

Xris Wraith wrote:

Granted I'd never heard of the character before this campaign, but a quick wikipedia search at her background doesn't suggest too many similarities, and besides 'skimpily dressed female' I don't think the the model matches up, compared to google images.

April 21st, 2016, 7:23 pm
Denizen

Ulf Beorstruk wrote:
Xris Wraith wrote:

Granted I'd never heard of the character before this campaign, but a quick wikipedia search at her background doesn't suggest too many similarities, and besides 'skimpily dressed female' I don't think the the model matches up, compared to google images.

In the KS comments the creators confirmed it was Red Monika as the primary influence.

April 21st, 2016, 7:49 pm
Denizen

odinsgrandson wrote:
For Rail Raiders, it seems to me like every raider is a reference. At this moment, I can name most of them:

Cactus Zach
Whistlin Pete- He does look a lot like Stinky Pete from Toystory to me
Kingsman

These three seem more like stereotypes/tropes than specific characters to me.

Cactus Zach: Many westerns have the poncho wearing Mexican. I also have to wonder if someone was a wrestling fan (Cactus Jack).

Whistlin Pete: Another common stereotype, the hermit gold digger up in the hills. Usually crusty, squinty eyed and bearded. Heck the last D&D campaign I played in had a post apocalyptic/Western theme and we ran into this guy, I kid you not his name was Ol' Pete and he liked to sing...

Kingsman: The British aristocrat/safari type.

They might be based on specific characters, but my guess is they are just based on the stereo types.

April 21st, 2016, 7:56 pm
Minion

From KS comments, John Grizzly is a nod to John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn character -
"Celina:I just realized that John Grizzly must be Rooster Cogburn from True Grit."

"SPM: Let's see:
John Grizzly - Veteran of the Uridian Border War where he lost an eye. Traveled the outer rims keeping the peace in the wildest parts of the frontier. Falls into disgrace for after defending (violently) those who have been cast aside in the aftermath of the war. Yet doggedly pursues his ideals in the face of the disgrace, sending the "rewards" of his banditry to help the veterans of the Border Wars...."

April 21st, 2016, 8:09 pm
Denizen

As much as i hate K.Sutherland for the horrid abysmal show called 24, i think his "Doc Holliday" from Young Guns is better than Kilmers from Tombstone.

Also, no 3:10 to Yuma references, bugger.

April 22nd, 2016, 12:53 am
Mini-Boss

AzureKnight wrote:
Ulf Beorstruk wrote:
Xris Wraith wrote:

In the KS comments the creators confirmed it was Red Monika as the primary influence.

No way. I've talked to them in person, and they told me that if they ever revealed their sources out loud, ninjas would immediately kill them all.

April 22nd, 2016, 5:47 am
Profile WWW
Dungeon Boss

Kingsman could be Allan Quatermain from King Soloom's Mines/League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Click Here for My Comprehensive List of Every Hero, Monster, and Boss available for Super Dungeon Explore.

April 22nd, 2016, 2:10 pm
Mini-Boss

Yes- especially with his rifle rather than hand guns.

To me, he doesn't seem to match any of the depictions of him that I know (he's not wearing the costume from Sean Connery or Richard Champerlain's performances).

Alos, I can totally see Rooster Cogburn there, but I think he more closely resembles the Jeff Bridges version.

April 22nd, 2016, 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

odinsgrandson wrote:
AzureKnight wrote:

No way. I've talked to them in person, and they told me that if they ever revealed their sources out loud, ninjas would immediately kill them all.

The ninjas are coming then.....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... t-13003575

April 22nd, 2016, 3:40 pm
Denizen

Someone posted on the comments that they think Dr Umbra Phd is Alucard from Hellsing. I could totally see that being correct.

April 22nd, 2016, 3:42 pm
Bottle Cap

Pearl Heart - Pearl Hart (Real Person) (Possible Look for painting = Mad Moxxi from "Borderlands")
Cactus Zack – Cactus Jack
Jose Oakley – Annie Oakley
The Kid – Billy the Kid
Tazak Geronimo – Geronimo
Huckleberry – Doc Holiday
Kingsman - Alan Quartermain of "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"
Cowpuncher Candy – SPM Mascot
Whistlin’ Pete - Stinky Pete from "Toy Story 2"
El Cola! – SPM Mascot/Zorro
JR Dallas – JR from “Dallas”
Thorne – Spike Spiegel from “Cowboy Bebop”
Canton Cobb – Jayne Cobb from “Firefly”
Rhinestone - Red Monika from "Battlechasers"
Typhoon – Vash the Stampede from “Trigun”
Chuy – Boba Fett from “Star Wars”
John Grizzly – Rooster Cogburn from “True Grit”
Pancho Perfecto – Tuco from “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” ?
Dr. Umbra PHD - ?
Mutha Superior - Gender Bent Nicholas D. Wolfwod from "Trigun"

April 22nd, 2016, 3:59 pm
Mini-Boss

There are so many nuns in both westerns and anime, I really don't think she has to be wolfwood.

April 22nd, 2016, 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

When I read "Cactus Zack" I totally thought "Cactus Jack". But I did't think of Mick Foley/WWE. Instead I thought of the movie "Cactus Jack", a (rather bad) 1979 Western Comedy starring Kirk Douglas and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Then I found out that the movies original title in The US isn't "Cactus Jack". Instead it's "the Villain". But Kirk Douglas' Carsten is still called "Cactus Jack".

Edited because autocorrect made me look stupid...

Last edited by Götz Kirchhauser on April 24th, 2016, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2016, 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Götz Kirchhauser wrote:
When I read "Cactus Zachary" I totally thought "Cactus Jack". But I did't think of Mick Foley/WWE. Instead I thought of the movie "Cactus Jack", a (rather bad) 1979 Western Comedy starring Kirk Douglas and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Then I found out that the movies original title in The US isn't "Cactus Jack". Instead it's "the Villain". But Kirk Douglas' Carsten is still called "Cactus Jack".

I found the same movie when search for Cactus Jack which made me think Zach's cybernetics could be a round about terminator refrance.

April 24th, 2016, 11:44 am
Bottle Cap

While the Josey Oakley seems to be Annie Oakley, to me it is a smash of Annie and a gender bender of Josey Wales.

April 25th, 2016, 2:23 am
Denizen

AzureKnight wrote:
Someone posted on the comments that they think Dr Umbra Phd is Alucard from Hellsing. I could totally see that being correct.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaybe Alucard, a fair stretch, but maybe.

Alucard deserves a better mini than Dr Umbra tho, sorry SPM, i do like the good Dr, but Alucard is just pure style

April 26th, 2016, 4:30 am
Ninja Corps

odinsgrandson wrote:
There are so many nuns in both westerns and anime, I really don't think she has to be wolfwood.

No it doesn't but that isn't what I was basing my guess on. It's the story of a former outlaw/raider/assassin that found peace running an orphanage as a religious figure. But to save said orphanage they had to revert back to their old criminal past to make money.

Now I'm sure there are other example of this in popular culture but Wolfwood was the most prominent one to come to mind.

-ape2020

May 2nd, 2016, 1:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]