View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 16th, 2017, 11:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 RRI at Dragonflight. 
Ninja Corps

So I got this game just in time to run it at Dragonflight a local gaming convention here in the Pacific Northwest. Not many takers since it was sorta last minute but able to run two 2-player games and it went okay. One game against a 12yrs and another against an older seasoned gaming vet.

A little worried there is little incentive to interact with each other and the way a player runs away with the $$ score and coast to the end of the game. But this might be a problem of all the players being new and how small (2-player) the games were.

Only one card seemed too powerful Dead Man's Hand, which basically lets you win until the end of the turn don't even have to roll. I should be like Wild Card where you have to discard it to make it work. When I got it I had a weapon that took out 2 Lawbots at a time and walked into a car and blew away 4 scoring 5$$ automatically.

Overall the game went quickly and I will start demoing RRI at gaming events and play with my nephew.

-ape2020

August 29th, 2017, 1:06 pm
Minion

I have played some games with my wife and kids (8 and 10 years old). The game was easy enough they picked it up pretty easy. We have played quite a few of the different raiders, but not all of them. There are some combinations of raiders and weapons that at first seem overpowered. We have found though that the game can change really quickly with the winner constantly changing. Luck of what cards are drawn or what train cards are revealed can quickly shift the balance of power. We have yet to play a game where someone is in the lead the whole game. Also there is strategy involved in knowing when to get involved in a showdown or oppose a search. Unless someone is constantly rolling all high ranking hands you never know what will happen. My family is very competitive and I think this definitely helps make the game more challenging. I don't know if this helps with concerns of how the game plays. My family will keep trying out different characters and see if there are any combinations that are insanely overpowered.

August 29th, 2017, 9:06 pm
Ninja Corps

GoblinMage wrote:
I have played some games with my wife and kids (8 and 10 years old). The game was easy enough they picked it up pretty easy. We have played quite a few of the different raiders, but not all of them. There are some combinations of raiders and weapons that at first seem overpowered. We have found though that the game can change really quickly with the winner constantly changing. Luck of what cards are drawn or what train cards are revealed can quickly shift the balance of power. We have yet to play a game where someone is in the lead the whole game. Also there is strategy involved in knowing when to get involved in a showdown or oppose a search. Unless someone is constantly rolling all high ranking hands you never know what will happen. My family is very competitive and I think this definitely helps make the game more challenging. I don't know if this helps with concerns of how the game plays. My family will keep trying out different characters and see if there are any combinations that are insanely overpowered.

My concerns with Dead Man's Hand is has nothing to do with what raider used, it's that it almost an auto win without rolling. Especially if paired with anything that gives you extra dice or re-roll. If it was like Wild Card then you would at least have to decide if it was worth using on the showdown.

Still I had funny and will keep playing.

August 30th, 2017, 4:27 am
Minion

That card is powerful. My wife drew that in one game and nobody dared to oppose her in a showdown or a search that turn. It does help a lot in showdowns when outnumbered by lawbots. Even using that card it still didn't impact gameplay much. If I remember right someone else won that game.
Yes, there are combinations in the game that can be powerful, but we haven't ran into any yet that ruined the game and made someone the undisputed champion. There is just too much randomness of dice rolling and cards being drawn in the game. In almost every game someone seems to take an early lead (ability or weapon gives them an edge), but then things tend to shift and the lead is then constantly changing. Many cards that are strong only impact one turn. Many of the raider abilities are really great, but only in certain situations. I admit there are times when certain raiders get certain weapons it can be a slight pain.
The game is definitely best when played with at least four players. Players need to play competitively to make each showdown or opposed search exciting. With less players the powerful combos definitely play a bigger role.

August 30th, 2017, 5:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]