View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 13th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Rules Question - Boarding the Train 
Bottle Cap

I don't see a rules forum yet, so I'm posting in the "General Discussion" Forum.

I'm not 100% clear on some of the mechanics related to being Off the Train.
    -If a game event knocks a Raider Off the Train, does their turn immediately end, or may they spend actions attempting to re-board the train?
    -If a Raider fails to board the train at the beginning of their turn, do they get to spend actions attempting to re-board, or do they need to wait until their next turn?

Here are the relevant sections in the rulebook:

Page 8 under "Off the Train":
Quote:
The only actions a Raider Off the Train can take are to get back onto the train, as described under Playing the Game.

Nowhere else in the rulebook is "getting back on the train" included in the list of allowable actions (only Move, Showdown, Search, and Pass).

Page 11, second to last paragraph under the "Beginning a New Round" section:
Quote:
If a player fails to make a successful hand, their Raider must stay Off the Train, but may attempt to board again during its turn. At the beginning of its turn, a Raider may be placed on the caboose or gamble on boarding elsewhere as outlined above. Raiders that succeed at boarding the train at the beginning of their turn may take their actions for the turn as normal.

What about Raiders that fail?

We played it last night such that getting knocked off the train immediately ended your turn and that you had one chance to get back on at the beginning of your next turn. If you gambled and missed, then you had to wait until the next round to try again. Not sure if that is the correct interpretation though.

August 27th, 2017, 4:44 am
Minion

Just reading the pdf rules they gave, dunno if changed from the print ones.

Sounds like you can make one attempt to board at the start of each turn. The way it says

Quote:
If a player fails to make a successful hand, their
Raider must stay Off the Train, but may attempt to
board again during its turn
. At the beginning of
its turn, a Raider may be placed on the caboose or
gamble on boarding elsewhere as outlined above.

I think it means: if you gamble to get on and fail, you stay off and forfeit the rest of your turn. I think the bolded part means you can try again on your next turn, you are not stuck outside for the rest of the game if you fail once.

Its to reinforce the risk of hopping ahead vs getting on the caboose for free, if you got 3 attempts to board per turn it would be almost a dead cert to get onto car 3 or even 4.

This could also be the reason "getting back on the train" isnt listed alongside Move/Showdown/etc: its not one of your 3 actions, its a once-off at the start of your turn if you are off the board.

August 29th, 2017, 12:02 am
Bottle Cap

That is what I figured, which is why we played it that way. 3 or 4 opportunities to get back onboard are way too many.

Just wanted to see if that was right or not since the rulebook doesn't really specify what happens if you fail to get back on the train.

August 29th, 2017, 12:27 am
Denizen

I concur with Danteire, if boarding could be attempted multiple times, it would be listed as a normal action consistently throughout the rules.

August 29th, 2017, 1:12 am
Bottle Cap

Yeah... At the start of your turn and if you fail your turn is over.

August 29th, 2017, 7:10 am
Bottle Cap

I think I'd be fine with using a move action to board the Caboose, but I agree that giving someone 4 chances to hit the roll they need to get onto whatever car they want is a bit much. It's supposed to be a gamble anyway.

August 29th, 2017, 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]